Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells for 2 performing at Edinburgh Fringe< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 10 2012, 08:37

Richard Branson's mentioned it on his blog today: Tubular Bells for Two
Profile PM 
tubularbellsfortwo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 10 2012, 13:46

Quote (cAveMan @ Aug. 02 2012, 06:20)
Already seen the video, seems magnificent. Too bad there isn't a video with full performance out there...

There's a DVD for sale through Birdland Records. The just sold out of stock, but there should be more available within the month.

TB42 at Birdland Records
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2012, 08:18

Went to see this on Friday night to a sell out audience. It was truly amazing, so impressed. As far as I could tell there was no use of sequencers or samplers, where needed it was all done with loop pedals and hand played. To make it even more impressive considering its only two guys performing I would say its the most faithful arrangement of Tubular Bells done live I've ever heard. Much more faithful than anything I've heard Mike himself do over the years. The super bass riff during the finale was particularly well done, so much layering.

I thought it said a lot about TB possibly in part due to the olympics that the shows are in a fairly big venue and are either sold out or close to being sold out every night and the audience was just so into it all. Lots of cheers and clapping during certain sections and a full standing ovation not once but twice. Once after part one and then again at the end.

I quickly chatted to one of the guys afterwards and jokingly asked if they were going to do Amarok next year to which he laughed and said he'd lost count of the amount of times people have asked them that LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoOXUfuNKp4
Profile PM 
speedysnail Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2012, 16:47

After a decade or more of occasional lurking at tubular.net, I was finally prompted to sign up by seeing Danny and Aidan at the Fringe a couple of weeks ago. If you're still reading this thread, guys, congratulations on an amazing performance!
Profile PM WEB 
Sweep Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2012, 21:43

Sounds good, from the YouTube extracts. I'd like to see/hear this.

I think I can appreciate Gus's initial reaction, on the other hand. I think he raised some worthwhile points, which have been clarified in the rest of the discussion.

I wonder what these guys' own music is like? Any examples of that online?

--------------
Website@: http://www.musicbysweep.com
Twitter: sweep1

Bradnor Hill (in memory of David Bedford): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKeATjaMCgA
Profile PM WEB 
memberd Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2012, 04:10

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 19 2012, 08:18)
I quickly chatted to one of the guys afterwards and jokingly asked if they were going to do Amarok next year to which he laughed and said he'd lost count of the amount of times people have asked them that LOL.

..if not Amarok, then at least Ommadawn..!

--------------
"...inside, and the positions are reversed..."
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2013, 17:25

These guys appear to be doing a bit of a UK tour this summer - I have a ticket to their Milton Keynes show and they are also playing in Devon and North Wales.

but, we can't find a list of dates anywhere!

Anyway - is anyone else going to see them?

And if in Milton Keynes, do you fancy meeting up before or after the show?

\see here for linky

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
LivingForever Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2013, 17:51

The UK tour has been announced...

http://www.tubularbellsfortwo.co.uk/

I'd really, really like to go to this, but can anyone tell me if the whole show is just Tubular Bells parts 1&2?

Don't get me wrong, that's enough of a feat, but that's only going to last 50 minutes or so, and tickets are selling for the same price or more than 2-hour shows in the same venues.

--------------
http://giggingforever.blogspot.co.uk
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 25 2013, 20:05

I saw them at Edinburgh Frimge. They Played TB 1 parts 1 and 2. Yes it was less than an hour but what an hour. If you like Tubular Bells I think you'll love this :) So much energy and skill in their performance.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Plus..Tubular Bells! Offline

Posted: May 29 2013, 14:12

Having seen the show last week 3 times, including the 900 strong crowd awesome show at Union Chapel, London, I can assure you that Part 3 of the show is DEFINITELY what you want to hear.  But I'm not going to tell you what it is. [spoilers]

I met with several members of tubular.net, amarok and mikeoldfield.org   before and after the show on Saturday. I think the terms gobsmacked, goosebumps, tears of joy, and standing ovation are appropriate. A certain editor of an official fan magazine was still awestruck when we parted ways two hours after the show.

It was a fitting tribute on the 40th anniversary of the album. I commend the show to you.
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: June 03 2013, 10:56

I went to see the unique tour date in Paris, in a small theater called La Cigale and yes, it was great, amazing, moving, etc.

The only sad part was that is was the only date in the country + the theater was far from full, there were maybe 300 or 400 people, France is definitively not the place for Oldfield fans...

So I was more than lucky that I could attend, it's (again and again) something any serious MO fan must attend :)

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: June 03 2013, 12:18

I saw this in Cardiff. About 500 people in.
Standing ovation.
I really enjoyed it, but there were a few points.
At over £20  a tricket...
There was no PA, just the in house that sounded awful, and really hurt my ears., Also they used the in house lights.Static.
They played part one and two 50 mins and a 10 minute encore.
£20 +..... not really good value for money.
BIT like the Albert Hall gigs, MO did with TUB II, a few more tunes to make up a good length set, would have been good.
Also the encore was a disaster,sounded like they made it up in backstage before they went on.Rambling and self indulgent.
BUT saying that...Part1 and two were great...
Great players and VERY clever...especially the Caveman section...and the guzooo's...
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: June 04 2013, 07:46

I agree it was way too short but I'm not that demanding regarding sound quality, I was quite happy with what my ears got :)

They are indeed great musicians and with pretty good sense of humor too, we had our funny moments.

I did enjoy the encore a lot, especially because at the beginning you can't say what it is, then little by little it's coming out and then VOILA here it is you knew it you love it and you are so powerfully moved by it...

The solution for the length is to ask them to play everything twice in a row, that would do it :D

--------------
Jerome C
Profile PM 
oGUH Offline

Posted: June 05 2013, 17:51

I was at La Cigale last friday, and yes the theater was almost half empty, but it gave me a chance to attend to the show very close to the scene, this was a truly amazing experience, my best concert so far, had they played a second time in france, I would have come to see it again
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: June 06 2013, 08:03

I'm afraid that next public concert of any MO related music in France, 10 years from now, will only have room for one musician and 30 people in the audience...

--------------
Jerome C
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: June 07 2013, 14:38

I saw the concert in Newark last night and have to say that the musicianship of the two guys was astonishing.  There was much more control than I had been expecting, although there were still a number of dicey transitions which worked more often than not.  The encore was short but well worth it.  If you get the chance go to see them.
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: June 08 2013, 19:06

I saw Tubular Bells for Two at WomAdelaide and it was fantastic. Pretty sure Mike only ever played it live note for note like that once, all the other live versions are new arrangements without that lovely earthy feel; it was an utter thrill for me to hear it like that. Ah memories of childhood.

Somebody in the audience asked a question and they said they get asked that quite often. I couldn't hear what the question was, would love to know.
Profile PM 
Plus..Tubular Bells! Offline

Posted: June 08 2013, 20:27

the question was "can you play Ommadawn?"  The answer is a secret...
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: June 08 2013, 21:14

Thankyou! That makes sense.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: June 09 2013, 13:31

Well, I thought Tubular Bells 'for two' was going to be good having read a few reviews, but I had no idea it would be soooo good  :) I saw Aidan Roberts & Daniel Holdsworth perform in Cambridge last night and that concert has made a really big impression on me.

Seriously, it was one of the most fascinating concerts I've ever been to, aside from it being Tubular Bells itself.  To see those talented guys play that beautiful piece of music with such skill and, more importantly perhaps, with such obvious love was truly heart warming.  I watched the first part with blurred vision (tears not alcohol) - it was so true - not a perfect copy of the original but that wasn't the point - they know it inside out - they captured the very spirit of it. Every detail was there. But they added something else, breathing new life into it somehow. Very cleverly thought out, it looked instinctive. Touch of genius in both musicians I'd say.  

Somehow I managed to convince two of my sons to come along (+ girlfriend), and my husband too. They were amazed I think, and the eldest son who has been to many more concerts than me, said that one was in his all time top three! (didn't ask what the other two were though! hearing him say that was enough -like music to my ears !!;).  So, there is a whole new generation coming through...ready to listen. To my knowledge, neither of my boys have ever sat down and listened to the album from beginning to end, but they both said they knew every bit!! (can't think how that can be possible!!;)  My youngest son (17) loved the drums on side two, and if Mike is still looking for a drummer, ask Daniel if he's busy!! He was fantastic.

The guitar playing throughout was so sensitive to the original and just perfect in the quieter passages - the caveman bit worked really well too....and they created a wonderful, unified atmosphere in the Corn Exchange (the place where the concert was held).... pretty sure most people totally forgot where they were whilst listening to them play and got completely lost in the music. The standing ovation proved that.

To watch them work together, their mercurial movements were unbelievably fast and to hear that familiar and much loved sound was an absolute joy. I'm definitely going again to see them play somewhere else...still so many dates left on a pretty extensive tour...they are going to be shattered at the end of it! But so worth it.

So grateful to be able to hear them play, it was a privilege really - I love that they love it that much to want to play it so often! And I am so glad they heard the tape in the car all those years ago...

Really amazing, truly awesome and utterly, utterly brilliant!

Well done Daniel and Aidan ! :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
51 replies since May 30 2012, 05:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net