Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells 2003 Press Conference in Madrid< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Blue Dolphin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 07 2003, 06:35

Well, I guess it's a foolish thing of Warner Spain to act like this, because TB is known trough out the whole world (as we all know).

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
olmost
Unregistered

Posted: May 07 2003, 11:17

first of all, I´m Spanish, and I understand that fans worldwide would love that Mike promote his new albums in their country, but... the question is: What company said "yes" to Tr3s Lunas when nobody wanted that kind of "suicide"? Warnee Spain did, so it´s kinda logical that Mike come back to the countru that really love him.

by the way... Please, Mike, let us see you more time that we did in Valencia last time with "Tr3s Lunas". I spent 10 hours to get to Valencia, and you were there just five minutes. that was unfair!!!!!

PS: OLÉ ESPAÑA Y LA POTRA QUE TENEMOS CON ESTA SANTA COMPAÑIA DE DISCOS. TODOS A MADRID!!!!
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 12:52

But he is a British artist????!!!!! Also a little word of advice for those fans in the UK ticking off the day's untill the release date, don't get to excited!! If TresLunas is anything to go by (and I reckon it is) don't be at all suprised if your local record shop look at you blankly when you go in asking for your copy of TB2003 on the morning of the 26th. WEA seem to excel in the world of cockup as far as Mike is concerned.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 07 2003, 13:55

Which other company said yes to Tres Lunas? Richard Branson was apparently quite keen on signing Mike to his current label, V2...whether they'd be any better is a different matter...

The thing is that Mike doesn't need a Spanish record label to sell well in Spain - his records always sold well there when Mike was signed to Warner UK as well. Promotion in Spain is of course logical, as it's very likely that it's going to yield sales, but that's not to say that Spain is the only place where people will buy Mike's records - Germany is also a large market for Mike's music, closely followed by the UK. Those can either remain to be large markets, or they can be ignored and his sales will drop (especially as all the fans begin to order the albums over the internet).
The thing with Tubular Bells is it's actually a name that's kind-of-almost-half familiar in the USA. Even if people don't know it by name, a lot will know it as the Exorcist music or something like that. A bit of a marketing push in the USA could lead to something...or they could just carry on preaching to the converted and spend all their money promoting to people who would have bought the album anyway. Warner could choose to act like they're a multinational company, or they can continue to behave like a group of seemingly rather separate businesses (see how their presence on the web works - Warner Germany have a fully featured Mike Oldfield site, Warner Spain put up one for each album and the rest of their local sites don't mention him anywhere...they could probably coordinate all that if they thought about it)...

I have to agree with Toby's closing sentence...I still challenge Warner to mark the launch of one of Mike's albums by holding a drinking session in a beer-brewing establishment...if you catch my drift  :p
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 14:35

You do get the impression that WEA really don't regard Mike as as an artist worth bothering about, beyond a certain point. Obviously in Spain they think he's worth bothering about but you'd think with an album as potentialy big as the new TB they would at least put adverts in the British music press leading up to the release. I think we have to assume WEA regard him now as an increasingly marginalised figure in the British music scene, and who's faults that??????? It has to be said I think part of the blame must lay at Mike's feet, he's the only one who can make desicions about whether or not to go out and play live, stimulate interest and at the end of the day write criticaly acclaimed music. Which brings us back to the same old argument which is along the lines of 'if Mike wrote a fantastic instrumental album tomorrow would it sell and would WEA then stand behind him? And the answer I think would be yes but only if Mike did what everybody else who sells well does and that is play live, promote yourself, make people aware that you've written an amazing album. I don't think any of this is impossible it just requires the right decisions to be made and of course for Mike to be actualy interested enough, sometimes you get the feeling he just isn't.

The other thing that I find staggeringly bizzare is that this is Mike's 30th aniversary and sweet bugger all seems to be going on to celebrate it. There's no talk of any box sets, tours etc, none of the things you'd expect. Pretty much any other band/artist of comparable size would have the record companies cashing in, artistically and commercialy with at least a decent box set. WEA may well be cashing in commercialy with that TB box set but certainaly not artistically. Obviously the fact that Mike's back catologue is split between two record labels is a stumbling block but still.....

So again who's faults this? Is it a combanation of Mike not giving a toss and WEA and Virgin not being able to organise a... ...well Korgscrew summed it up.
Profile PM 
Melomaniac Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 14:54

I don´t understand people are talking about here. I think Mike, I know I´m repeating the same again, is not a international "best seller" at the moment, maybe any more. ( I don´t hope so). It´s said that Germany and Uk are his best markets after Spain, ( that´s what was said in one of his last interviews in Cadena 100 last May). Oh, my God, that´s absolutely false. One of the members of this forum told me that TL did not even enter the top 100 in UK, I Know things were better in Germany but not like in the 80´s, Can anybody tell me the sales figures for this record there? After Spain, some countries from the east of Europe were his best markets but far from more than 100.000 copies he sold in Spain. I,m not trying to defend Spain market for Mike, this is not the point ( I have said again and again that I prefer an international and everywhere aclaimed Oldfield) but unfortunately, sales figures rules. That´s the sad reality.
Profile PM 
Jarni
Unregistered

Posted: May 07 2003, 15:52

But he is a British artist????!!!!!
=======================

Yes, afortunatliment Mike in this moments is a Spanish artist :)
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 16:07

I think when people talk about Mike's popularity they mean all his albums not just the recent one's, Tres Lunas included. Generaly speaking Mike still sells a fair mount of albums in the UK, his back catalogue is still popular. So from that point of view its not at all false to say Britain, Germany and Spain are his biggest markets. His new releases may well be a different matter.
Profile PM 
Xqwitxztixs
Unregistered

Posted: May 07 2003, 16:46

Hmmm.. thats some good teories.. but i think the answer is a bit simpler... I just think his very fond of Spain..

( No.. im not spanish...  )
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 18:36

I´ve contacted Warner Brazil and there´s no plans to release TB2003 here...the Complete box...no way(IMO,it dosen´t matter,since he´s not popular here!;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: May 09 2003, 01:26

Obviosly, as stated before, WEA Spain uses a new meaning of the word 'worldwide' that I was previously unaware of!  

I've checked with numberous American record sites and there is no mention of Tubular Bells 2003 or the Complete TB.  Whats more, I've checked the UK Amazon site and they have TB2003 listed as Tubular Bells Vol. 4.  And the picture they are using is from a design by a member of the Amarok Mailing List.  

I came to the conclusion LONG AGO... that the reason everyone just pirates music is more or less the record companies OWN FAULT!!!  If they all weren't so CLUELESS as to what they were doing than I do not feel people would just get fed-up with them!!!

Paul or Chris if you have any clue what has happened and why, YET AGAIN, in spite of WEA's empty promises and words, let me know why America is apparently no longer a part of the world!!  Suppose it might be because of George W???

Christopher
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: May 09 2003, 01:35

I am wondering if this isn't, Tubular Bells 2003 that is, the end of Mike's career.  You know... go out the way you came in!?  

Usually when an artist gets old and desperate he or she migrates towards a label that is small and not capable of worldwide distribution.  Hence, WEA Spain.  In the case of WEA UK... that is a different matter.  WEA UK is a worldwide capable distribution as it has many ties with WEA USA.  I guess since Mike lost the grammy for Voyager to someone else - Reprise (WEA USA) - decided to pull the plug on Mike Oldfield releases in America.

I'm dreaming of a new career
For Mike Oldfield to adopt
May his days be angry
and dull
And may his music finally come alive

Yes I do believe everyone when they say Mike writes his best stuff when he is unhappy or troubled.

For me 'Guitars' was truely Mike's last good album.  TMB and TL are good, but not on the same level.

Oh well that is another discussion all together.

Christopher
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 09 2003, 12:48

naaaah, before TL he said he had lengthen his contract, so he's bound to do more albums.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 09 2003, 13:58

At the moment his WEA contract is for 3 albums including TL and TB2003. So one more to go, It'll be interesting to see what he does regarding his record contract after that 3rd album and indeed what that 3rd album will be.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: May 09 2003, 17:45

nemo propheta in patria
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 09 2003, 19:28

I was under the impression that he was still supposed to be doing another chill-out album. Perhaps the music from Tube World? Maybe not....

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 09 2003, 20:45

"But as we all know, endings are just beginnings"

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Melomaniac Offline

Posted: May 10 2003, 05:37

It´s saturday, 11.24 am and Tubular Bells 2003, the dance mix, has just broadcasted on Cadena 100 radio ( the Spanish radio station that has promoted a lot MIke music for the last eleven years). The dj has presented the track saying something like: normally we received good music from the greats veterans and some of them keep on going on their classics, his goose that lays golden eggs, TB2003. ( the song sounds). Then , the dj speaks a little the original, The Exorcist and says that theese are the most famous bells of the music story. A new version for old fans and a new audience. After Tres Lunas, Mike is still here.
The funny thing is that just in that moment I was going to phone Cadena 100 to ask if they were to play the new record by MIke and when...he, he.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 10 2003, 09:50

Great! Has someone recorded it? :)

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Melomaniac Offline

Posted: May 10 2003, 13:26

No, I didn´t, it was a surprise I wasn´t expecting. Anyway, the song is the same you can listen to in the promotional video at the official web for TB2003.
Profile PM 
47 replies since May 03 2003, 19:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net