Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells 2003 DVD-A and box set release dates< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 09 2003, 13:28

It's certainly easy money as far as that box set is concerned, yet another glossy repackaged 'collectors item' for us to 'enjoy'. And its also fairly easy money as far as Ommadawn 5.1 is concerned, though I'm far less cynical about that release especialy if its a well put together package with some interesting extras. How many copies of Ommadawn 5.1 are sold will depend greatly on how interesting those extras are, if he does something special with it he will certainly sell a copy to every devoted fan (of which I dare say there are thousands) if he includes nothing of interest at all (which is possible) he will certainly sell very little, a reletive handfull to completest fans and the very few people out there with a 5.1 system who remember how good Ommadawn is.

What I can't get my head round with this principle of Mike's record company's only releasing DVD's that they think will sell is how come pretty much every month I see DVD releases by bands and artists much, much more obscure and smaller selling than Mike? As I've said before what bugs me about this is that if Mike said to WEA 'I want the 1980 Knebworth footage included in that box set' WEA what jump at his command I'm sure of it.

Why is there just so little thought and interest put into these 'collectors items' releases by the man who's name adorns the box?
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2003, 07:15

I do understand peoples comments about old stuff being re-released and wanting new stuff,but firstly it's upto Mike if he wants to play around with the 5.1 format,it's a new toy,and we all know how much likes new toys,he will always make new music,we all know that,he has probably been writing and recording for a while anyway,but this is nothing new,look how much Beatles stuff comes out,most of it old stuff re-packaged,but people lap it up,i just feel some people are taking these complaints a bit to far,the record company can bring out whatever they like,but if you don't want it,just don't buy it.
Profile PM 
Paddy Maloney jnr
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 10 2003, 09:52

Well said James. :/
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 10 2003, 10:59

Quote (TOBY @ Oct. 09 2003, 13:28)
What I can't get my head round with this principle of Mike's record company's only releasing DVD's that they think will sell is how come pretty much every month I see DVD releases by bands and artists much, much more obscure and smaller selling than Mike? As I've said before what bugs me about this is that if Mike said to WEA 'I want the 1980 Knebworth footage included in that box set' WEA what jump at his command I'm sure of it.

Very true.  The company Classic Rock Pictures/Productions would be the perfect kind of company to get some old Mike footage released on DVD.  They have been releasing concerts by Asia, Curved Air, Caravan, and a bunch of other obscure as well as popular prog acts.
theweightless Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2003, 14:29

something positive for a change..i've said this before but..for mikes defence have to say that he has given us new music about every 1,5 years, shouldn't really expect every year something new, that's my bad there, can't help it really, because love the  :music:  ..in my opinion it's just stupid to dig this old music whoever the artist/band is, but as james said there, mike and pink floyd and others can play with that 5.1 and like me who doesn't care about that system just won't buy the record

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2003, 06:30

Its missing the point entirely to suggest we should be grateful for badly put together box sets etc simply because Mike gives us an album every 1.5 years. Like the copy protection issue I can't believe there are some fans who's love of Mike is so strong they will happily swallow anything in his name and defend him to the bitter end. If you don't want to see some fantastic footage from Mike's glorious past then fair enough but I guarantee you that you are massively in the minority, the rest of us would love to get our hands on a wonderfully  put together DVD of live footage, interviews,promo's etc. The fact that MO is probably the only artist of his stature not to have some sort of DVD of this quality is really what we're complaining about and not the fact that he's been releasing rather half considered music every 1.5 years. If any fan is sick of hearing so much negativity to do with these issues then they should really look at why that should be, I think its obvious really.

Remember the main reason all these 'collectors item' issues are being raised at the moment is that this is Mike's 30th aniversary year and TB aside nothing has been released this year to celebrate his 30 years of making music (and us buying it) We do deserve more and so does Mike.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2003, 09:00

Quote (TOBY @ Oct. 11 2003, 06:30)
Its missing the point entirely to suggest we should be grateful for badly put together box sets etc simply because Mike gives us an album every 1.5 years.

you got that wrong, i'm not defending those collections, boxes etc. and i did not mean other people should be grateful, meant that i am glad that he makes great music frequently

and the copy protection issue, do you really want to start that conversation again, what's there to swallow if the cd works fine

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2003, 15:55

There's a lot to swallow even if the CD works fine (see past discussions), but I'm certainly not about to start another debate on that issue. Sorry if I mis-interpreted you but I'm not one of those fans who simply thinks that if they don't like something they don't need to buy it, I hate seeing things being done badly and a lot of things surrounding Mike in recent years, his actual music making aside, have been done badly, certainly as far as WEA's input is concerned.  

At the end of the day I'm sure we're all greatful for what Mike releases, good and bad, but remember a lot of our complaints have more to do with what WEA/Virgin do in his name, or rather don't do in his name, ie release decent collectors items.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2003, 07:17

oh yes, forgot that low quality sound on tb2003 for a while  :O  that's something i agree we shouldn't take, but maybe that's enough this subject

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Measter
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 16 2003, 09:08

Quote (Guest @ Oct. 08 2003, 16:22)
I agree that it is too much of all these Box set relaeses, with stuff all fans allready have. Why don't he/they release some of he's old stuff like The Essential "Live at Knebwoth" or Wind Chimes and stuff like that on DVD.
That I think he could make a lot more money off, and make he's fans much more happy.

Totally agree with the majority of sentiment regarding these forthcoming TB box sets.A total rip-off,and complete lack of imagination on Mikes part.Just a money-making excercise.So why doesent he cobble these "projects"with some archive material on a seperate DVD?Knebworth would be good if the master tape still exists and what about Viareggio 84? Very disappointing....... :zzz:
29 replies since Oct. 07 2003, 15:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net