Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Beats remix album in February 2013< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 08 2013, 01:14

- I prefer up beat music less moody. This album is kind of depressing.
- Never Too Far sounds like 3 voices badly mixed together: the vocal, the guitar, and the rest. No rhythmic harmony if that makes any sense. I had a similar problem with Islanders, it seemed like the guitar was sometimes off beat to me. I don't like the way all the elements of the song sound disconnected and in their own world.
- I find the exaggerated acoustic guitar noises (how do you call that?) in Moonlight Shadow pretty nice, although they don't blend well with the rest of the tracks. Seem they are copied/pasted a couple of times though, they seem to repeat exactly the same.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 08 2013, 17:21

So no Luke Oldfield conspiracy theorys on this one then  :O
Profile PM 
Macahan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 09 2013, 06:26

Quote (olracUK @ Feb. 03 2013, 20:15)
First thoughts are - who is this album aimed at?

I think it's basically the same idea that made him record "Guilty". Producing contempoary music with "a more interesting melody". Not necesarrilly for his fans, but to reacha new audience. I think that idea could work, but this album does not use the full potential of Mike's back catalog. It could have been done way better,IMHO.
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2013, 15:58

I've listened to it a few times now - always in the car, it's great for that! All in all I really like it a lot. The songs not so much perhaps, but all the instrumentals are really good - and Ommadawn is simply spectacular! The idea of an Ommadawn dance remix may sound frightening but once I heard it, I was totally sold. The gating effect on those very familiar vocals is simply awesome, can't get it out of my head. Goosebumps!

I think my other favourites are Tubular Bells (finally a convincing update!) and the second Guilty, but I really like all the instrumentals to varying degrees. North Star seems the closest to the original, but the funky guitar and congas are really cool.

This album will remain in the car and I bet it will get a few more spins, especially since my wife and son dig it, too.

BTW, shouldn't there be a new subforum under "compilations" for this one?
Profile PM 
adler Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2013, 09:22

I've listened to it a few times now - always in the car, .... but, sorry, I didn't like  :(

Some of them I couldn't even recognized which cover was.

I prefer the originals :-)
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2013, 15:37

Only just got this as an import from the States.

Not bad overall.
I'm finding some of it a bit on the cheesy/lame side, but it definitely has its moments.
I do however completely adore the Ommadawn and Tubular Bells mixes, and Never Too Far has an understated charm that really grows on you. The weaker tracks probably could have done with more input from Mike though...

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 08 2013, 17:12

Quote (adler @ Feb. 20 2013, 01:22)
I prefer the originals :-)

I still prefer the originals too.

But still find it an enjoyable listen ESP whilst driving.
I would guess as well this album might appeal to younger listeners that don't want Dads daggy music  :)
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2013, 07:24

I have to agree with Holger and Milamber on this one.
It's great fun playing this in my car, and since I got it a few weeks ago I've done so every single day.
As some of you stated the compositions do not come close to the originals, but we already have those so I see this as a nice addition.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
sagan2 Offline

Posted: April 23 2013, 13:30

I listened it for some time and in my humble opinion there are two really fine mixes - Gulity (Electrofunk) and Northstar, strangely enough from a very close time period. In my opinion those songs could stand today's charts and playlists. The rest is mostly interesting although, like some forum members, I also had the impression of instruments not blending and being just hurdled together. Also, sometimes it sounded like there were just too many instruments/sounds. My personal idea would be to make some Ultimae remix (possibly trance) album, being more music and not rhythm/beat centered. York is certainly good remixer and this album was made with obvious effort, but it seems to me that the task was overwhelming at some points.
Never too far also seems to me like three pieces put together by some force and not blending in as they should, so at first it seemed me to me that I like Islanders track more. Tarja knows how to sing but somehow she doesn't blend in or lacked emotion required to transfer. Dunno. Everything seems ok, but  it doesn't feel right. A friend told me that it sounds boring to him, but I really can't say that. Simplistic or too ambient, maybe, but not boring. At one point it occurred to me that the way this album was recorded (Mike said it was at least in part being done overseas/over internet) could be the answer why it sometimes sounds just like that.
I noticed that a lot of music from the 80ies is nowadays being remixed and played on VH1 or MTV, so the idea was obviously along that line, but it is really pity that neither To France nor Moonlight shadow were remixed so that they could be air-played and noticed, too. To France seems to me like being not very far from that, but somehow unfinished, while Moonlight shadow is just another electro-pop song unlike the original which was anything but just another pop song.

--------------
www.soundcloud.com/sagan2-1
Profile PM 
68 replies since Nov. 19 2012, 17:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net