Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (9) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tracklisting Released at mikeoldfield.de< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MaXiMo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 18:53

Well. I'm happy because there's a new album. But... in the vein of Tubular Bells?? ha! and.. DANCE?!?!!? oh my god... Ibiza is ok to enjoy, not to compose music  ;)

--------------
If you want to be a good person, you must be like me.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 18:59

You know... I'm getting very disappointed with it. Not disappointed, since my expectations weren't too high to begin with, but... I'm already expecting subpar material from the new album. Just by reading the track titles, and the descriptions... It all sounds so lazy, and unimaginative. The melodies will have to be VERY good to justify a double album, and such high expectations from fans. I'll have to remember the name of the track that borrowed the riff from a sample tune from Fruity Loops. I hope it doesn't turn out to be the best melody in the album...

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 19:26

Yes, this all is really really dissapointing. Mike, wtf are you doing? :(

I mean, it's not the equipment. Listen to Ullrich Schnauss: a young German synthesizer artist who makes excellent music on his computer.

But...., using a FL demo as a basis of a song???

I think I'm going to listen to other musicians, Mike is not there for me anymore. Only his previous music.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 19:50

Yes I agree... Mike is becoming LAZY!!!!  Jesus... i mean anyone can play with a computer and make music... but it is Mike's old enthusiasm for the "different" (remember Mike you said - "I don't like musicians that follow everyone like sheep")  That must have been another one of your... at the moment... comments and not at all genuine.  

Who would have thought that all my friends were right back in the late 90's... computers would and ARE the death of a real musician!!!  

Still I will give the album a listen and prolly a purchase too... but in future Mike...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... FUCK THE MUSIC INDUSTRY AND IT"S CONFORMIST BULL SHIT... MAKE A LONG PIECE OF MUSIC AND DO WHAT YOU DO BEST... CREATE... NOT COPY AND PASTE!!!!!!!!

Now... can anyone supply me with the tracks from Polish radio so I can develope my own opinion on the matter?  

Please email tracks to  c_hopkins@bellsouth.net

Thank you to whomever sends the files!! :)
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 19:55

It's right on the forum christopher. :) Lookie here: http://tubular.net/forums....;t=4820

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 19:57

I would be interested to know how many of you enjoy the album when it is released, because you're writing it off before you've heard it.

If Mike hadn't said anything at all, people would complain about that.  But now he's said something, you don't like what he says.

Personally I enjoy SOME dance music, not all of it... but Mike isn't someone I've seen writing it.  So, I might not like it either.

Regarding long instrumentals, I don't think there is anything Mike could say that would make us feel better about not doing them.  I do enjoy his long instrumentals too.  But that is not the only music he writes.  He's written plenty of shorter tracks that are brilliant, just on a smaller scale.

Over time, musicians change.  If they keep writing music in the same style, they're damned for being unoriginal.  If they try new ideas, they're damned for straying from their roots.

For me, one of the most exciting things about the new album is that it could attract some new listeners to Mike's music.  In doing so the existing listeners are not being abandoned - we are just not going to get the same album every time.

I'm sorry to hear that people are disappointed by the new album.  But I wish you'd stop writing it off before you've even heard it!

PS: particularly to christopher, who posted while I was writing - Stop telling Mike what to do.  And if you must, at least have a bit of courtesy!!

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 19:57

You haven't heard the album yet, and you are all complaining.

I don't know if it's a good or bad album. Mike can do great short pieces of music, and he can also do boring long pieces of music. He can do bad short pieces and great long pieces as well, of course...

So don't judge music you haven't heard just considering the playing time of the songs or Mike's reasons to have shorter songs instead of longer ones. It makes no sense at all.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks for reading.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 20:03

Yes, OR you can be really excited about a new album (like I was with Millenium Bell) and be REALLY dissapointed about how bad it is when it was released.

The shock won't come that hard when you're being critical about a new album and it indeed turns out be bad! ;)

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 20:06

Why go from one extreme to the other?

Why not just wait and see whether you like it or not, instead of setting expectations that you can't rely on?

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 20:13

Yes I too like Dance music and Chill out... but to go back to pieces that are ages old and previously released, though unofficial, is rather sad.  It was the same thing Dave Matthews Band did with his album "Busted Stuff"  and for many fans it was just that "Busted Stuff".  Though Dave himself hates the original "Lilywhite Sessions"  his fans, the ones I know, prefered the original.  

No we haven't heard it yet and that's why I'm following Blue Dolphins hot self to the link he so kindly provided.  

Being a musician with my first album on it's way FINALLY, I believe too that a musician must grow and change, but at what expense???

Diversity is good, but again, when does it become sad and ineffective?  When Madonna starts playing a song with one note and Elton John comments on how bad it is and pathetic.  Elton John one of the single greatest musicians ever to come out in my lifetime has changed too, but stayed true, for the most part to his roots, and you tell me when that has actually done him harm or affected his creative process?  ok ok ok, so after the Lion King he sucked for a few albums, but he has done very well since the close of the 90's.  

So, if Elton John can do it... then the long haired, hippy, with a beard, of 19, who revolutionized modern music and turned music on it's head for the first time in decades or maybe a century or two...can surely get it together and do a long piece of music without the fear of record industry critism.  

The only thing I can see NME saying is FINALLY he put together a long piece of brilliant interwoven music and it isn't called Tubular Bells... hooorah!!!
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 20:34

Well... it isn't awful... but it isn't great!  so far anyway.

The first track seems too long and drawn out.  The second however, I quite like!  It reminds me of something you might have heard on TSODE, which was the second album I had ever heard of Mike's.  

I do hope that the drums will very from the the early 90's style of drumming which makes the whole sound dated to the 90's AND is a traditional new age sound.  Whatever happened to the real Mike Oldfield when he didn't have all these stupid buttons to press and do the job for him????????  Come back from outspace Mike... you are a great musician... I hope the rest of the album reflects my faith in you!!!
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 20:39

I think what many of you have to realise is that Mike no longer wants to do a long piece in the style of his seventies albums. Either he doesn't have any new ideas for long pieces, or he's afraid he'll never live up to his older pieces, or he doesn't even like longer pieces anymore, or whatever, but it seems pretty obvious to me that right now he has no intention of making a 20 minute long piece. I know this is unfortunate if you've been desperately wanting Mike to return to the seventies, but I'm afraid that's the way it seems to be. Mike has changed, and I think you're setting yourself up for a disappointment if you expect him to change back. That's my view of things anyway.

Secondly, I disagree with the things that many people are reading into Mike's little descriptions of the songs. I mean, you've got one song based on a war memorial, another on the death of the Pope, a third on the Iraq War and a fourth on 'the darker side of romance'. I'm not sure how so many of you leapt to the conclusion that these tracks would be lacking in inspiration or emotion. Personallly I read very little into these descriptions, and I don't take any expectations from them in terms of how I think the music is going to sound. Isn't it just like Mike to underplay his creations? He doesn't strike me as one to say "this track has so many different melodies" or "this tune is so complex" or anything like that. I'm just wondering what you all would have thought if you had read a similar description of Amarok before the album came out. My personal thoughts probably would have been along the lines of "what the hell, he's gone compeltely random". My point is that I don't believe Mike's words have much to do with what the album is going to sound like.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 20:54

I've just remembered a further point on the two tracks recorded from radio. I couldn't find a dedicated topic on these two tracks that was still open, so I'll post it here.

We still haven't received any confirmation from official sources about these tracks. We don't know whether they even are from Light and Shade. They may well be incomplete versions, we just don't know. This lack of certainly, coupled with the low quality of the radio transmission, makes me reluctant to judge them. I must admit that on first listen I can't say that I like them a lot, but I don't feel I can say that because of that I won't like the album.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 21:04

Quote (Moz @ Aug. 12 2005, 02:06)
Why go from one extreme to the other?

Maybe you should ask that question to Mike!!!!! ;)

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 21:53

Quote (cjm @ Aug. 11 2005, 23:13)
I was thinking that they might be "Our Father" and "Sunset," but perhaps one of you has another guess?

As I said in another thread, it's not "Sunset" but "Angelique" according what the vocaloid says.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 21:59

Quote (Tellur @ Aug. 11 2005, 18:24)
I have this Schiller album and I don't remember any Mike Oldfield appearance on it. Perhaps he will appear on the new, fourth album...?

Yes, and its name will be... Tag und Nacht. :) They really seem to interwork.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2005, 00:37

Oh my God, what is happening?! I have loved Mike and his music for over 30 years and I never even noticed that Guitars, Voyager, MB, TBIII or Tres Lunas were any less quality than any of his earlier work. It didn't even matter that much to me whether he used real instruments or not, as long as the emotion and quality was there, I mean SODE is one of my favourite albums. And as many have said, if he was still doing the same stuff as 30 years ago, people would be complaining about that too. I like not knowing what is coming next, and I don't care whether it is something completely different or similar to his great early works. I was more excited to see he had spoken in great detail about his new work than I was to hear the tracks themselves. BUT he certainly does seem to have prided himself in the fact that he has made this album with the least amount of effort and possibly without the use of a single instrument? Has it all become about showing off your wealth and your toys, having all the latest fancy equipment? Why would someone as talented as yourself even need all that shit, it is not inspiring you, it is consuming you. Some people believe that true genius only comes from suffering and no-one wants you to have to suffer for your work, but we do want you to still love it, and for all the right reasons. It's not about showing off, I'm glad you have a new thingimajig with a fancy fandangler on it that can make that sound when you push that button and create a completed track in 3 days. I'm happy that you have a beautiful family, and horses and motorbikes and a nice big house and extravagant studio. But do you have any instruments left in there or are they in the basement now gathering dust? I am not judging your album Mike, I'm sure I'll love it because I love you and I love that long haired frightened hippy with the soul of an angel who created miracles. I know it isn't the 1970's anymore and all things must change, I love the new stuff, your new stuff, the dance music, the new styles but I also love MUSIC, not machinery. Machines don't make music, people do. Machines don't have hearts or souls. Have you become lazy Mike, please say it isn't true.
When we make that delicate souffle or that magnificent roast, we use an oven to bring it to it's final glory, but all the ingredients are still lovingly put together by hand, with love.
Disillusioned and disheartened,
Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
sarujuu Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2005, 02:04

"Mike is lazy" Mike Oldfield and I are agree with you...
Mike Oldfield in interviews said : "He dislike make compostion now, he's boring, he prefer now play at game or helicopter"

Well, my opinion is :
In past, Mike made a beautifull music, a lot great composition : Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge, Platinum, QE2, Amarock, Crises and also the best track "Far Above The Cloud"...  :laugh:
I have very pleasure to listen his music, and now too.
Perhaps, now the last album like Millenium Bell or Tres Lunas is very poor, nevermind, he's human, he's tired now perhaps.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2005, 03:44

In my opinion Mike is being a shrewd businessman.  Since when did Mike produce an album that actually sold well Europe wide? Tres Lunas was popular in Spain but in Britain it flopped and i don't know about anywhere else.  The last album that made it in the charts was Tubular Bells III.  If Mike was to keep on producing music for his so callled loyal fans he'd be bankrupt.  My point is Mike appears to be trying to appeal to a wider audience.  Many music listeners have not heard of the Tres Lunas and Maestro games so the music lifted from them is no bad thing.

If Mike just produced music for the fans that make comments on this website he'd be very naive!
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 12 2005, 03:49

Seems to me everyones jumping to early conclusions!!!
OK its going to be a Techno Album but till its in my CD
Tray and been played 10 plus times i would be reluctant
to comment on a Albums Quality!! You cannt judge on
hearsay and predictions.. I find most Mike Albums are
very moody and I personally play depending on my "Day"
certain Albums... I think this will be no different and just
fit into the Big Picture much the same as all the Others !!
If there is even just 1 or 2 classic Tracks in there Ill be
happy enough !! but lets not panic it could still be really
good!! :)
Profile PM 
162 replies since Aug. 10 2005, 17:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net