Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tim Cross is in Hospice Care, Sad News< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 08 2012, 18:48

Tom Newman advises: "Dear Tim Cross is in hospice and in need of all our prayers . . . please listen to his lovely production of my old Sad Sing single, and focus some sweet love towards him . . . Thank you all . . ."  

Thanks to Philip Bendall and Tom Newman posting at the Virgin Records in the 70s & 80s Facebook page, for this information. As Philip mentioned, "Tim was an extraordinary talent on stage when Mike was touring 79-84." He also made a notable contribution to Mike's albums QE2 and Five Miles Out.

To hear Tim's production of Tom's "Sad Sing," visit http://soundcloud.com/tom-newman.

Here is an old interview with Tim.

Update: Unfortunately, Tim Cross passed away on July 9th.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 09 2012, 05:04

Oh dear, poor Tim, do we know what is wrong with him?
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 09 2012, 06:55

Awful news.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: July 09 2012, 16:30

I'm very saddened to hear about Tim, and was deeply moved by Tom Newman's thoughtful message.

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: July 09 2012, 17:55

More from Tom Newman:

The news came barely a month since of the falling foul of cancer of a great and beloved friend of mine, one Tim Cross, musician, composer, arranger, producer, and gentle loving soul. Despite being a Viking . . .
Its inevitable and well understood that as we get older the rigours and misfortunes of life on the planet Earth will claim its casualities and take from us those we have become close to, yet though the frequency of these bereavements has increased of late, it comes as a shock sometimes more than others.
I am wondering if this gives us a clue as to the true worth in our own eyes of the person in question.
When I first heard Tim was diagnosed with lung cancer, it was not too big a surprise.
A lifelong smoker must expect to pay the piper unless they are exceptionally lucky . . .
And treatments have progressed, new miracle cures ever day . . .
No panic - wait and see what is the prognosis.
Nothing for three weeks, then an invite to a playback of his latest production, a lady called Clear, I was unable to go, but encouraged, he’s still cracking on . . .
Then, a call from another friend. He’s been moved to a Hospice . . . no more can be done.
Gigantic shock!
How we muddle on in ignorance of the world around us, how can this be, its just lung cancer, that’s treatable nowadays, I’ve read of it in the papers, on the telly, all curable surely . . .
I rallied spiritual support on facebook.
It’s like offering a prayer meeting, many friends and fans responded admirably, to little effect obviously, though that is something we cannot yet assess.
Then today, I heard from TV Smith, he’s fading fast and may not be conscious much longer.
Four weeks from diagnosis to coma . . . .
All the past times in his company now jostle for recognition, another books worth of reminiscences all with Timmy at the epicentre.
The studio where we met, all the radio adverts and fun, making fun vouchers for use in the pub. The ‘coming out,’ and meeting life partner Nigel the hairdresser, got those close concerned for his safety, but quickly developed into a lovely romance albeit, like all true love fractious.
The introduction to Micheal O, and the Tubular Bells touring years, the jump to Punk and TV Smith and the Adverts, the move to Hastings after I moved, the Coda Landscape albums, the death of Nigel, the move to Robertsbridge, and all the great Dana Gillespie projects.

And now, suddenly, its his last album?
He didn’t know it was his last album till it was nearly finished, and then he worked hard to make sure it was finished I’m sure.
Our lives went on different paths from the late eighties, and we saw each other less and less, but there was always a heartfelt welcome to be had from either side when visits happened. It was as if no time had been spent apart . . We shared a recognition that our lives were driven by similar gods and dreams, and were always to be filled with ups and downs and periods of penury and excess.
He was broke once and I was flush, and so I commissioned him to score my newly recorded ‘Ozymandias’ suite.
Later, I was skint and he gave me all his decommissioned analogue recording gear, which set me up again . . . and I still use.
Now what?
Just what his friends can say of him?
The legacy seems insufficient to me, he touched so many and left such joy behind, wherever he had been.
And great talent now gone, like tears in rain . . . (bladerunner)

Bless you Timmy, and being a Viking, go forth into the very last great adventure unruffled by fear, carrying your talent proudly, and we, the left behind will celebrate your life with ribaldry and excess, and carry the dream on till we meet again . . . I love you

BLAME IS A DISSONANCE IN THE HARMONICS OF EXISTANCE.±
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 09 2012, 20:34

Tom Newman on Facebook a few minutes ago:

Timmy just died peacefully in his sleep, thank you all for your good wishes, All is well . . . .

And before the news came in,a quote from Mike,also shared on Tom's Facebook:
"Life is really short isn't it. God bless you Tim" (This from Michael Oldfield just now)

So sad,last year lung cancer took David Bedford and now Tim Cross... :/

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: July 09 2012, 23:17

Very Sad Indeed!!!  As a pianist, I found myself watching and studying Tim, on DVD and internet video's.  He seemed to be the one that knew what was going on and how to ensure that everyone stayed together.  This was before I knew he was an MD for MO's shows.  That makes sense.  Unfortunately, I only know of Tim through Mike.  Now, I shall seek out his music and other ventures and give them a listen!  From the limited exposure I've had to Tim, it is very clear, he is a gifted pianist and musician!  RIP TIM!!!  Thank you for sharing your talents with the world!!!
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: July 09 2012, 23:18

PS.  I tried finding Tom Newmans Facebook page.  Would someone please post a link so I can LIKE it.  Thank you.
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: July 10 2012, 02:40

Very sad indeed.
A listen to some early 80s Oldfield this evening I think.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
stpaul Offline

Posted: July 10 2012, 03:04

Very sad news again. Let's dedicate the upcoming concerts released with the new deluxe editions to Tim Cross.
For MO's music he was maybe the most compatible keyboarder player ever.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 10 2012, 03:57

RIP Tim Cross, such a sad passing, you'll be missed.
Profile PM 
starsky1808 Offline

Posted: July 10 2012, 14:05

Very very sad news, Tim was one of my favourite band members. R.I.P. Tim .. Heavens Open
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: July 10 2012, 14:37

RIP Tim Cross another great loss.
Profile PM 
Gilles Offline

Posted: July 10 2012, 17:09

After Pierre Moerlen, 7 years ago, Tim Cross passed away. Sad news.

I will always remember these people, because they played in Mike's albums while I was discovering his music.

Tim's contribution to the live video in Montreux is invaluable.

Thanks Tim.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 10 2012, 17:25

And now we hear that Lol Coxhill has also passed away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxCm389G1zQ

Guess everyone's getting older but Tim was a younger generation.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 10 2012, 17:46

Such sad news.... R.I.P Tim.
What a talent, Another gone too soon.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 10 2012, 19:31

Sweet goodnight and safe crossing, Tim. Deep peace and comforting energies to your family and friends.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: July 11 2012, 05:41

RIP to the two giants.

There is an interview of Tim right here on tubular.net : http://tubular.net/articles/2007_11/Tim-Cross-Q&A

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 11 2012, 16:23

When I contacted Tim to do the Q&A in 2007 he replied quickly, enthusiastically and with great honesty. I told him that I didn't work for a publication and that I just was a fan who was curious about a few things about his time with Mike's band. He didn't have to answer but he took his time and I am very grateful for that. When I have contacted other musicians I have got a lot of "...that was a long time ago man who cares...".

I have met several people in my work who have shared Tim's awful fate and that is why I quit smoking in 2006. I wasn't really motivated (I loved to smoke) but I was scared as fuck of lung cancer. That is not the way I want to go.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 11 2012, 19:17

Quote (larstangmark @ July 11 2012, 21:23)
I have met several people in my work who have shared Tim's awful fate and that is why I quit smoking in 2006. I wasn't really motivated (I loved to smoke) but I was scared as fuck of lung cancer. That is not the way I want to go.

Just add David Bedford last year...wakey wakey smokers...but I do know a few non-smokers who have lost their battle to lung cancer.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
31 replies since July 08 2012, 18:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net