Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Tube world demo< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 10 2003, 21:50

Got up to the plane game thing. Stopped there. The new banking-fly-mode drives me up the wall. I can't go where I want to go anymore! It's gonna take some practice getting used to it. Everytime I try to turn left it goes slow but then when I finally get to where I need to go I need to turn back and it won't! Arg.....it's gonna take time...

The music and sound effects are MUCH higher quality, as well.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
a_r_schulz Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 11 2003, 05:41

Quote (MO fan @ June 11 2003, 00:56)
Does it work on Windows 95 or is it win 98/2000 only?

I don't have any Win95 anymore to test - yet, since almost the only reason for me to upgrade to Win98 was to play MVR (didn't work on Win95), I'm afraid TubeWorld won't either. AFAIR I had some E-mail discussion with Mike's programmer about keeping it Win95 compatible, but he couldn't help.
Profile PM WEB 
Osiris Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 10:23

I got the 6 avatars:  - 3 big hang gliders (blue and red in the ethaeral world, and yellow in the sea scene with tubular bells flying everywhere, there is the big metallic shape in the sky and the yellow glider is on top of it)
                           - 1 small green hang glider in the castle
                           - 1 flying carpet in the castle
                           - 1 check piece everybody found...

I managed to get these avatars in the castle, as Mike asked on his site, but nothing happened...   so what's the interest of doing that ??    I tried to put each avatar in places where growing check pieces are coming from the ground (6 places), but nothing happened...    I put all pieces in the pictures tower, same thing...   and in the bird circle on top of the picture tower, and nothing happened too...
well, I tried everything, someone got an idea ?....
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 11 2003, 10:49

Quote (Guest @ June 10 2003, 17:18)
No version for macs, i supoose :(

Unfortunately I think that Mike wants to put all the development time into improving the quality of the graphics (like many of the fans, he'd also like them to be more realistic) rather than developing for other platforms.

Colin having experience of programming for Unix-based SGI computers might make porting it to OS X a slightly more realistic proposition (or perhaps something that works under X11), but I think only very slightly - there'd still be masses for him to learn. I imagine that at this stage, there's not the budget to employ an experienced Mac programmer to work on porting Music VR, but maybe in the future...
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 11:10

Osiris - I did the same as you (tried different places for the 6 avatars in the castle) but nothing at all!!!

I guess Mike just wanted us to do it as it takes some time and is not that easy - I got quite frustrated getting all the avatars into the castle (especially the Knight which took ages) - is there any short cut here?

I had a wierd thing happen when I took the Carpet outside the castleand then tried to get inside again...the following pictures show what I saw outside the castle walls...

Anyone else get this?

Wierd!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 20:09

Mmmm, no. I took the carpet outside the castle but nothing happened.

But my opinions about the demo:

Looks nice, I immediately noticed the new "interface" where your point of view changes angles when you go right or left. Although sometimes this really annoys (and hurts) my eyes. Sometimes it looks like you're drunk (I wonder what happens when you play it when you're drunk).

Also, I noticed the other objects get "blurry" when you go left or right. Maybe some tech problems Mike?

I noticed they still use the same texture (the bells texture is the same as the stars we saw in Tr3s Lunas. The real picture of the texture is a flower with a house on the background; see below).

I also hate the textures of the ground. They still look too "pixel" and look out-dated. So, maybe something to work on Mike?

I like the avatars, although they still have that bloody annoying way of "flying" them. When you "fly" an avatar and you are standing still, you can choose a direction. Problem is when you have turned to a new direction, you can't see which direction this is. The only to find out is to accelerate and maybe fly in a good direction or bump into the wall. This really irritates me, so maybe something to consider Mike?

Furthermore I liked the world of the windmills. Are these the images you had in your head when you were making Tubular Bells, Mike? I noticed you had to shoot the airplanes. So I was thinking to myself "Why on earth do I have to shoot the airplanes? I thought Mike didn't like violence?" and I shot an airplane and to my suprise it created a seagull. Really lovely! :)

So overall, looks nice but some things to think and work about (although I realise this is just a demo, I'm sure they will be solved in the real version).

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
paddy
Unregistered

Posted: June 12 2003, 17:18

Did anyone else fell like they were going to chunder when playing the game? I felt decidedly queasy, I think it's the new banking feat.......BLLEUUUUUAHHHHGGGGGGG!....sorry....

Hope I get used to it, it looks great anyway.

paddy
Dali Offline

Posted: June 15 2003, 12:00

Hi all,

Unlike others who posted here, I am totally dissapointed with the new demo. I played MVR1, bought it legally, and enjoyed it. OK, it looked a bit outdated, but it was Mikes first attempt on a computergame like that.

Then he announced this new episode, and said on the website that it needed this new video-card (I forgot which one) because of the improvements in detail. I thought I was really going to see something this time.

Well, I have this new video-card, better even, playing on highest possible resolution and all, but what do you think you see? MVR1, with some new twists. But when it comes to detail and overall graphical impression: this is even worse than MVR1 compared to other new - up-to-date - software. This "beautifull" landscape with TubularBells hanging on poles, chasing model airplanes. When you fly with one - and see it up close - this is pathetic. Hello Mike? This is 2003 we're living in. This is the age of C&C Generals, Medal of Honor, or, if you like it more peacefully Myst 3 and Syberia. Your new piece of software does NOT compare!!!

Don't get me wrong. I am a fan, and I will eventually buy this new piece of  :zzz:  because I hope that in the complete game, there will at least be 1 scene comparable to the owl-in-cage-flight of MVR1. And by that I mean comparable emotionally and musically. Because apart from graphics, MVR2 also laks emotion and right music.

But hey, it's only a demo.....
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 15 2003, 13:21

I'm afraid I agree with you but I'll reserve final judgement untill I see the finished version. What I will say is that the Tube World will never recieve the attention it needs if its going to look out of date and generaly naff, I'm thinking those fighter planes and those awfull looking space platforms. Where's all the naturalistic imagery that goes with TB? I'm affraid Mike's skills as conceptual designer are a bit behind his skills as a musician.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 15 2003, 15:05

Comparing it to big-name titles is I suppose fair enough, as they are the sort of things which Mike has to compete against, but he is coming at the project from a completely different angle to them. The list of credits for some of those games is huge, with teams of 20 or more working on them - the list of people involved with The Tube World, including the people who sold Mike the computers and everyone, could be written in quite large writing on a small post-it note.
Mike knows that his software doesn't compare to those large titles - it was never meant to. A core aim of the project was for it to be something easily managable - having a small team is central to that, as the more people there are, the more work has to go into coordinating them (they also demand a lot of pay, and that can only be justified if the game's going to sell - the reaction of games distributors to the project was quite a clear signal that investing too much in it would not be a sensible risk to take).

It's really quite an achievement as it is - the huge array of paramaters controlled by the editing software gives some hint of just how big a task the whole thing has been.

The project bumbles along in its own way, it keeps Mike happy and it gives at least a few people something to do in an evening. It'll develop, and will hopefully eventually be written to take even better advantage of the technology available, to provide higher levels of realism.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 15 2003, 15:36

Its a bit of a 'catch 22' situation. Mike's not going to get the attention outside the fanbase that the project needs unless the graphics are up to scratch but he needs the attention of the general public to sell MVR and prove to the industry it's popularity.
I think the best outcome would be for a gaming company to realise the potential of MVR and invest in it. I do realise this is a personal project of Mike's but I think he would need to relax his grip on it a bit if it was genuinely going to develope.
There's a lot of potential in the MVR concept, I do think it could seriously catch on, but Mike needs to get other people get involved in it, on a conceptual level as well as a technical level if it's going to appeal beyond us diehards.
Profile PM 
Rob Miles
Unregistered

Posted: June 15 2003, 17:40

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ June 11 2003, 20:09)
Sometimes it looks like you're drunk (I wonder what happens when you play it when you're drunk).

[QUOTE]

You get the same game, but with extra swearing.

Rob

:-)?
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 16 2003, 08:41

Well, I sometimes swear when I go too fast and bump into the walls or something.... ;)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
gargar Offline

Posted: June 16 2003, 11:52

why is the controll so damn annoying?? it's hard to fly straight and it is virtually impossible to fly when one of those add ons (chess horse and that damn glider. i wish they tune the controls a bit or better, switch to something more reasonable like how you fly a spaceship in anarchy online. if it stays like that i won't touch this even with a stick.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: June 17 2003, 23:02

MvR2 is quite good looking over Tres Lunas.  However, can I just tell you what a 'BITCH' it is to catch and turn those fucking planes into sparos???  I feel like I'm in a neverending game of Monty Python - where everyone in the game is having a laugh at my incredible frustration! ;)  The music IS of higher quality YES, but playing that bloody bass line over and OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER - are you getting the idea here?  It is really annoying Mike!  The only real disappointment I have with the game so far is the lack of NEW music and the rehashing of yet another BELL item!  CAN WE PLEASE STOP WITH THE BELL THE THING MIKE???

Fare enough, it IS called 'The Tube World', but using the music from an album we can just stick it in our - excuse me MOST OF US CAN USE (thank you copy protection from people in Europe and in America) - our CD players and play makes it just a little BORING - ZZZZZZZZZZZ's!  

I am already OVER TB2003!  Sorry Mike but for me it didn't stick!  I am still with you on TB2!!! :)  There is something FAR TOO mechanical about TB2003 that just crawls on me at certain points.  Although TB2 is mechanical in it's own way it still sounds very natural to my ears - thanks!  

It IS YOUR music after all and you of course can do as you wish with it - I am merely expressing my thoughts, as a musician, back at ya.  My only hope is that the next album will NOT be far off... maybe the end of this year or more hopefully the beginning of next year - early next year - and it will NOT be mechanical, but a beautifully thought-out project full of the emotion that your music has had in the past!!  This does NOT include The Millennium Bell and other albums of the nineties - with the exception of 'Tubular Bells II', 'Songs of Distant Earth', and 'Voyager' (LOVE Mt. St. Michel - beautiful and passionate!!!!!;)  Those are my only requests as I know as everyone in your fan base knows you are capable of if you'd only let go of your play toys and play with something alittle more 'REALISTIC'  HINT HINT! ;)  

Ok back to MvR2 - the graphics ARE alittle on the pixelized side in spots, but they are still great for someone who has created this from scratch and developed it over a decade mostly without the help of professional programmers - VERY impressive!! :)  The banking motion makes me VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY ILL MIKE!!!  It IS much more realistic to have this over the old format of just going in a direction - as this is supposed to resemble a sort of flight simulator.  Please DO keep it, it makes the experience not only more challenging, but more realistic in the aim to be more like a flight simulator.  However Mike, I suggest making the neutral point alittle more broad so we don't weeble wobble all over the screen trying to stay in one spot!

I may break out my flight simulator control yoke and see if I can get the game to respond to that instead of the ruddy mouse.  

Head still hurting in America from trying to catch the planes

Christopher
Profile PM 
Simon
Unregistered

Posted: June 19 2003, 06:18

I have downloaded demo but cant get it to load. It sticks on "loading data file 1 moment please" screen. I am running Windows 98SE with 256meg RAM. Do I need a Geforce graphics card to get it to load? Any help would be appreciated! Many thanks.
womega
Unregistered

Posted: June 19 2003, 18:58

:O Is there anyone want to play the Tube World Demo with me? I'd like to be the knight...and you...?
Jerome C Offline

Posted: June 20 2003, 08:53

Quote (TOBY @ June 15 2003, 21:36)
I think the best outcome would be for a gaming company to realise the potential of MVR and invest in it. I do realise this is a personal project of Mike's but I think he would need to relax his grip on it a bit if it was genuinely going to develope.

You do know Mike ? I just can't imagine him wanting to do that : collaborate with a big company, comply with commercial and strategic constraints, accept artistic and technical advice / obligations from people who "know how to make successful games".
Just remember what he said after the Killing Fields (re having to follow a Director instructions) : he will not do it again.
I don't imagine neither a game company putting him as "project director", even "artistic director" if they expect some financial incomes from the game...
Quote (TOBY @ June 15 2003, 21:36)
There's a lot of potential in the MVR concept, I do think it could seriously catch on, but Mike needs to get other people get involved in it, on a conceptual level as well as a technical level if it's going to appeal beyond us diehards.

Of course. That's why I think those 2 incompatibles constraints will prevent this great concept to be ever a real selling success.

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 21 2003, 13:45

Yeah I do agree. I do have a slight suspision that someone in the gaming industy may see the potential of MVR and take the idea and run with it without Mike. Certainly as computers get a lot more powerfull I think the idea of interactive games, like Myst, MVR etc running with almost photo real graphics will really capture the publics imagination in the years to come. I do think there will be games very similar to MVR done without Mike I'm sure, they may well be with much worse music but I bet the games play will be amazing, there's so much potential for it.
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: June 21 2003, 15:45

Sorry Toby, but I disagree.
Some of these games i.e. Riven, Exile, etc. have got music that equals what Mike has done the last few years, if not even better.
As for the idea of making another virtual reality game: it has already been made. The best improvement is you can play it in a multi-player version online as well as a single player version (bought in the shop as a PC game).
The show starts in November.....URU

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
60 replies since June 10 2003, 07:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net