Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The (Omma)dawn of a new era< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bee Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 25 2017, 07:12

Return to Ommadawn is the beginning....

As I was listening for the first time to RTO I liked what I was hearing but I admit I was puzzled too…curious about all the subtle references to other albums but unsure as to whether it was actually going to be something in its own right.

It definitely grows stronger the more you listen.

Believing that all great works of art should be allowed to speak to you first, I sensed that it needed time and space…and the last time I felt that was with Amarok.  There is so much to listen to here and, characteristically, like the majority of Mike’s work, more and more reveals itself with each listen.  So much thought and work has gone in to this.  It is rich, having so many ideas and connections with the past but it has its own strength and unique energy I feel.  And it is mature and sure.  It looks to the future.

Like getting to know a new or distant family member, we can recognise fleeting likenesses (Tres Lunas, Amarok, Ommadawn of course and Hergest Ridge) but RTO has its own energy and identity and I’m so pleased to hear this.

Although I am not a musician music is very important to me - without it I am not happy.  I listen to all kinds of music and for many different reasons but Mike Oldfield is the only artist that manages to get deep inside.  Words can not explain or describe exactly what he does but I feel that it is something profound and spiritual.  No idea what that might be but I’m glad I’m aware of it!  His music is nourishing and protective - anything can be going on in the world, or in my immediate world, and if I have this I know I will be all right…everything will eventually be all right…probably sounds a bit weird to say this but it is true.

What I love about RTO…
I love the drums and the chant towards the end of side one and rather than African drums it got me thinking of Native American Indian rhythms.  And I adore the really gentle melody from 2:13 on side 2…what ever I am doing I absolutely have to stop and listen to that, it is beautiful and very touching.
I love, also, the changes between sections, the guitar beginning at 10:16 on side 2 just before the penny whistles are so good at turning our attention to the next part of the journey.  He is so, so  good at conversations between guitars e.g 2:10 on side 1 - he always has been - they really talk to each other and, importantly, listen…
There’s so much more I could say.  

And it is a fantasy….but this album would definitely be tremendous live - just saying.

What I’m still learning…
There are a few moments when I think, ‘now what’s going on here?’…occasionally the acoustic guitars, whilst utterly brilliant, seem a tiny bit loud but what do I know about such things?

I think that above all this is the format where Mike can truly express himself and develop his musical ideas…I think 20-25 minute long pieces of music are the right duration for him (but I’m not against another perfect 60 minutes as with Amarok!;) So I am even more excited about the prospect of a Tubular Bells 4 if that is on the cards…do you think he might also return to Hergest Ridge?

I don’t know what I expected but RTO has its own special place in my heart now and I know I will listen to this often and I feel happy to know that Mike is still thinking about and making music…what a wonderful, wonderful thing to do.  Thank you Mike if you read this.  By returning to the past you have taken a step in to the future.  You have created something amazing…again!
bee :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2017, 09:05

i was not sure what to expect with RTO, but nothing as bright and gentle as this. Of course it has it´s nods to the original, but this is a stand alone record, and you get into such a good state of mind listening to it. Not even the inclusion of "on horseback" as it is, seems wrong. Mike has still done better in the past, but this is about the most lighthearted, he has ever done, and i am sure happy to be a mike oldfield fan
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2017, 09:41

From 11:00-13:00 on Part 2 :)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2017, 17:30

Quote (bee @ Jan. 25 2017, 11:12)
I love the drums and the chant towards the end of side one and rather than African drums it got me thinking of Native American Indian rhythms.  
... He is so, so  good at conversations between guitars e.g 2:10 on side 1 - he always has been - they really talk to each other and, importantly, listen…

I only listened to part 1 today (my first time). These quoted comments were the kind of things I was hearing and thinking too.

I knew it would be impossible for Mike to leap back through several decades and recover the musician he was then. No one could do that - too much has happened in the years between. But what shocked me was that this was so recognisably the same 'essence' of Mike Oldfield. Older, certainly. Not coming from the same place at all - but looking at things in that distinctively Oldfieldian way. When I heard those wonderful drums begin, I was reminded of the evenings I spent listening to Incantations with the lights out, all those years ago.

I stopped listening after the end of Part 1 because I knew I wasn't ready to take in any more. I needed a gap. This has been like meeting an old friend that I haven't seen or heard of since childhood, but finding those same old resonances that had made us friends in the first place.

What I've written is more about me than the music, I'm afraid. I beg pardon for the self-indulgence, but it has been a bit of a shock to the system. I have a lot of catching up to do.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2017, 05:52

Wait till you hear Part 2 ;) both parts are amazing, but for me Part 2 edges it, which is great, because you can listen to the whole album, and it just keeps getting better.
Profile PM 
Lancelot Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2017, 13:04

This has been like meeting an old friend that I haven't seen or heard of since childhood, but finding those same old resonances that had made us friends in the first place.

The same feeling I had. I think this is because it was so long ago we heard such really-really oldfieldian music as this one. And we also aged a bit (or not so bit) together with Mike. This album for me was  some kind of a rediscovering my own youth with all of its beauty and the illusion of infinity. I was moved to tears a lot by the PartII... and just like for you it was a little bit "too much" - I had also to put it away for a short time before continuing the listening.

Telling the truth the drumming section of part I i dont like so much... it is a little bit forced and didactic to me although I understand its function, and without that i would probably miss something there... Maybe it was to similar to ommadawn for me and i was waiting it to evolve into something new. But maybe my opinion will change. Actually I prefer more the first part of part I and second half of part II...

but nothing as bright and gentle as this...  but this is about the most lighthearted, he has ever done

I sensed that it needed time and space…and the last time I felt that was with Amarok.  There is so much to listen to here

Yes! The interesting in this album is for me that it somehow manages to combine a simplicity and gentleness with the uplifting energy and warmth of Amarok...  Dont know how he is doing this...
Profile PM 
TubularRidgeDawn Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2017, 19:51

I have to agree with most of what has been said here, and a great title 'The (Omma)dawn of a new era' by the way!

Well let's hope it is just that. I have listened to this album quite a few times now, taking in the vibrations on its own merits. But I have not just listened to it, I have now entered it and feel immersed within it without listening for any technical nuances or comparisons to other works. Letting go and succumbing to the music I am hearing different things each time. I intially enjoyed the album on first listen, for I had no preconceptions about it. I preferred side 2 at the time, but now I am enjoying both parts equally. I love Mike's use of the mandolin which is really stirring and beautiful as it cascades in the stereo fields. I also enjoy his use of the penny whistles which root the album in another time and another place. Along with the drums and bodhran, and his almost continuous trademark guitar playing makes for a trully wonderful piece of work which does take you back to nature and to a time where life was much simpler.

A 'Return To Hergest Ridge' was mentioned, and as 'Hergest Ridge' is my favourite work of Mike's I hope he does just that, or if not a new work where he uses the same template as he has on his first three albums and now this one. Mike enjoyed being surrounded by his acoustic instruments in creating 'Return To Ommadawn', and I believe he may adopt the same approach with Tubular Bells IV. I guess we will know in due course, but let's just enjoy what we have for now, which is something quite very special.

--------------
En yab na log a toc na awd
taw may on ommadawn egg kyowl
ommadawn egg kyowl
Profile PM 
6 replies since Jan. 25 2017, 07:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net