Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Daily Mail: The picture that changed my life< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 02 2007, 18:53

The Daily Mail WEEKEND magazine had a full page about Changeling focussing on an old photograph of Mike Oldfield's mother that inspired him to write his memoirs. tubular.eu.org has a scan.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 02 2007, 20:19

I don't want to be offensive toward Mike and his family but don't you think that Fanny looks like the mother of Mike ? Another question : the woman on the cover picture of Crime of passion is she the mother of Mike ?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 02 2007, 20:33

Quote (Tubular Tos @ June 02 2007, 22:19)
Another question : the woman on the cover picture of Crime of passion is she the mother of Mike ?

Yep,it is Mike's mum on the cover of Crime of Passion single.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 04 2007, 13:59

I guess that was in the days when mental illness was taboo, I think it still is in some circles. Surprising when you think that 1 in 4 adults will have a mental health problem at sometime in their lives.
Yep I'm challenging the stigma that surrounds mental illness.

Having read that piece, yep it must have been horrible for poor Maureen Oldfield to have given birth to a Downs Syndrome  son then have him live for a year in an institution,before he died no wonder poor Maureen couldn't sleep at nights , to me she sounded as if she was grieving  for her lost son. I doubt pumping her full of pills did her any good at all, but  this was before counselling and psychotherapy became available, no wonder she appeared   to sink into a depression, and hit the bottle.  Yep I can see where Mike got his fear of pills from, if anything I believe some of these anti depressants can make some people much worse.  For me personally I found St John's Wort and talking therapies worked best    :D .

Oh yes and whilst on the subject of mental health, I've been accepted onto a year long  course where I'll gain a "Certificate In Psychodynamic Counselling" , my aim is to then go on and complete the Diploma and Advanced Diploma, counselling is something I've wanted to do for years   :D .

Yep I'm challenging the taboos that surround mental health problems.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: June 06 2007, 14:46

I remember reading this cos our family gets the Weekend magazine that comes with The Daily Mail.

I wasn't expecting MO to appear in it, and I remember feeling sorry for Mike as he told the tragic story about his mother and the tears behind the picture of his mother smiling innocently.

It just put a few things into perspective for me...

Looks like Queen were right: Pain is so close to pleasure.

Quote ("moonchildhippy" June 04 2007 @ 18:59)
Oh yes and whilst on the subject of mental health, I've been accepted onto a year long  course where I'll gain a "Certificate In Psychodynamic Counselling" , my aim is to then go on and complete the Diploma and Advanced Diploma, counselling is something I've wanted to do for years

Brilliant! Hope things work out for you! I couldn't think of anybody better to do such a course.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 07 2007, 17:54

Quote (SoimSandheaver @ June 06 2007, 18:46)
I remember reading this cos our family gets the Weekend magazine that comes with The Daily Mail.

I wasn't expecting MO to appear in it, and I remember feeling sorry for Mike as he told the tragic story about his mother and the tears behind the picture of his mother smiling innocently.

It just put a few things into perspective for me...

Looks like Queen were right: Pain is so close to pleasure.

Quote ("moonchildhippy" June 04 2007 @ 18:59)
Oh yes and whilst on the subject of mental health, I've been accepted onto a year long  course where I'll gain a "Certificate In Psychodynamic Counselling" , my aim is to then go on and complete the Diploma and Advanced Diploma, counselling is something I've wanted to do for years

Brilliant! Hope things work out for you! I couldn't think of anybody better to do such a course.

Thank you for that compliment Sandheaver :D . The only thing is the course will cost £795, as it's a charity organisation they can't give reductions to people on limited incomes, I need £295 to secure a place on this course. I'm hoping to get on this course then go on and do the Diploma, and Advanced Diploma, I know both of these are BACP (British Assosciation Fro Counselling  and Psychotherapy) accredited courses.
I've asked at the Jobcentre but have more or less been told to "F**k Off" , the course I want to do is too long, so much for trying to get people back into meaningful work, or do they want everyone to work at something soul destroying such as in a factory???  :p.
I've an interview for an administrative assistant with Bedfordshire Music , it's a council run thing for kids and adults who wish to learn to play an instrument. One of the desirable criteria was an interest in / knowledge about music, and I've done admin work before and know a bit about computer packages. Yep I know it's admin work , but it sounds much more interesting than most admin jobs  :cool: .

I'm determined that I'm gonna do this counselling course, I'm searching every avenue to get the funding.It would  be a great shame if I were to miss out on this opportunity due to stupid rules and regulations, my attitude is "F**k the rules", given the effectiveness of talking therapies and the time it can take to see a counsellor through the NHS I thought I might get a more positive response.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
5 replies since June 02 2007, 18:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net