[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Suggestions for beginner electric guitar?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 137 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 19 2011, 11:38

Back on topic.

I've got loads of geetars but the one I would recomend.....is.............wait for it........................................................FENDER STRAT.

Not a copy but a true USA one. Loads about second hand at very reasonable prices. I've got two that I built out of various custom and standard parts bought mostly off ebay in the US.
Cheaper still. They are sooo versatile and dead easy to play.

Good Luck with the learning to play part.
Play and play till your fingers hurt no more.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 19 2011, 22:01

Quote (dunlooser @ July 19 2011, 11:38)
Back on topic.

I've got loads of geetars but the one I would recomend.....is.............wait for it........................................................FENDER STRAT.

Not a copy but a true USA one. Loads about second hand at very reasonable prices. I've got two that I built out of various custom and standard parts bought mostly off ebay in the US.
Cheaper still. They are sooo versatile and dead easy to play.

Good Luck with the learning to play part.
Play and play till your fingers hurt no more.

Pineapple and bee stings, pardner.  ;)
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: July 20 2011, 05:14

Oh yeh as Nightspore just mentioned. If you suffer from arthuritus or gout in yer fretting hand. Dont give up, eat plenty of fresh pineapple and git yerself regularly stung by bees. Now yew won't find thate in any geetar playin book. ;)
Profile PM 
jacen Offline

Posted: July 21 2011, 04:57

I am also looking to find a decent starter electric, Im in exactly the same position.

I have a guitar guru Im going to ask him at some point. I'll let you guys know what he says
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 25 2011, 16:27

How about the cheap PRS (made in Korea, I've read)? They look so beautiful compared to Fender.

I like very forgiving instruments, i.e. lot of sustain, not sounding too "sharp", not requiring lot of precision,... I have perfect pitch (only one note at a time), so I'm literally unable to play an instrument that gets out of tune, it completely messes me up.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: July 26 2011, 08:01

Then you don't want a Strat. :D

I've personally never played one of the cheap PRS models, so I can't say.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 26 2011, 14:36

Quote (Olivier @ July 25 2011, 22:27)
How about the cheap PRS (made in Korea, I've read)? They look so beautiful compared to Fender.

I like very forgiving instruments, i.e. lot of sustain, not sounding too "sharp", not requiring lot of precision,... I have perfect pitch (only one note at a time), so I'm literally unable to play an instrument that gets out of tune, it completely messes me up.

;) If cheap PRS are built in Korea , i'm pretty sure they are made by Cort !

http://www.cortguitars.com/index.htm

I have one and  it's nice and sounds great ! Strings thru body for a better sustain ! I use a lot of effects to try to get Mike's sound !

A Zenox Z22 walnut Satin !

http://img.audiofanzine.com/image.p....d=57961

this one is the new one , mine has a different neck

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos....1_n.jpg
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 26 2011, 14:39

;) this one looks like a PRS !
http://www.cortguitars.com/product...._hz.png
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 27 2011, 20:09

Certainly a massive number of guitars are built by Cort and an even more massive number are built by Samick (who build an insanely high percentage of the world's guitars).

PRS actually went down a slightly different route and chose the smaller World Musical Instrument Co. to build their SE line.

I have to admit I haven't had much experience with them. I had a quick noodle on one once and it seemed perfectly decent and they've certainly had some good reviews (plus there seem to be plenty of happy owners out there in cyberspace), so if you like the look of them and fine them comfortable to hold, then there's probably not a lot of reason not to get one.

You'd probably find one of those a decent choice if you're going after sounds like those of Lindsey Buckingham or some of Mike Oldfield's distorted lead sounds. A Strat might be better for going in the direction of David Gilmour, Chris Rea or some of Mike's cleaner moments, but then you might find that some of them - like Syd has already suggested - might not quite fit with the 'lots of sustain' and 'not sounding too "sharp"' requirements. That said, a good Strat should have a warm but clear sound rather than 'sharp', with a fair amount of sustain (though they tend to not have as much as things with the more Gibson/PRS type construction). Some of the lesser Strats and Strat copies really are just plain thin sounding, though!

The question of whether to go for a more expensive instrument to start on is quite a hard one to answer, actually. Like a lot of people, I started off on cheaper instruments and moved my way up slowly. The more experienced I got as a player, the more I was able to appreciate the subtleties of the better made instruments. That said, I don't think I ever had a really bad one - I think if you get an instrument you really don't get along with, that'll probably be extremely offputting!

Despite having been down that route myself, I think I'd say that if you can find a guitar you really think you'll get along well with, spending as much as you can afford to spare is really not a bad thing. That way you can get yourself something you find really inspiring to play, which then becomes an encouragement to take your playing further.

I'd say that to an extent, all electric guitars demand a fair amount of precision, or at least they're sensitive to it. You might see someone like Pete Townshend doing the windmill arm thing and wonder how much I know what I'm talking about here, but then I can also say from experience that the whole windmill arm maneuver needs a fair bit of precision in itself if you want your hand to still be on the end of your arm by the end of it. A lot of people seem to feel they have to really clamp their fretting hand to the guitar, with the thumb wrapped right round the neck, which seems to always lead to a nasty, sour kind of sound as they pull the notes out of tune (which isn't helped by the stiff kind of vibrato you get if you're playing it like you have to cling on for dear life). So...I think electric guitars are actually quite sensitive to what you're doing on them, especially as you start to wind the gain up.

I'd not let that put you off, though - it's what makes the electric guitar such an expressive instrument.
Profile PM 
jacen Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 03:19

One of my friends is my local guitar guru, and he expressed similar notions to you, Korgscrew.

He suggested that as I should want to play it a lot as I am learning, I should get one I like the look and feel of.

I did a brief sortie to my local guitar shop, and found nothing I particularly liked.

Next I turned to guitars my friends have that I have liked, and found an Ibanez which was quite nice. I looked through the Ibanez site and found a nice shape and look that I liked. Quite expensive, so I might have to wait a while and stick to the crappy guitar I have for now...
Profile PM 
29 replies since July 12 2011, 20:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net