[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (27) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Signed TB Ultimate Edition on sale< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 17 2009, 19:44

Quote (Ugo @ May 17 2009, 20:53)
@ Korgscrew: I'd like to ask you essentially the same question as Zinc above here. You say that this is "a limited edition of 500". Does it mean that only 500 copies were actually printed? Or does it mean that the 500 copies are the ones featuring Mike's signature and an extra track on the bonus CD - i.e. the ones which were made available throught the website - and there actually are more copies available, which may be bought through Amazon and other online shops? Please explain, as I don't understand exactly what's going on.

There are only 500 of that particular edition - that is, the ones that come with a signed and numbered certificate.

This is rather like the Exposed limited edition, where the only difference between that and the later release of it was the fact that the non-limited edition ones didn't have the sticker on them.

There's no actual difference in the contents as far as I know. The difference in track listings is just down to Amazon describing things differently - both of them have the demos and the scrapped mix on the bonus disc.
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 17 2009, 21:51

Quote (Korgscrew @ May 17 2009, 19:44)
Quote (Ugo @ May 17 2009, 20:53)
@ Korgscrew: I'd like to ask you essentially the same question as Zinc above here. You say that this is "a limited edition of 500". Does it mean that only 500 copies were actually printed? Or does it mean that the 500 copies are the ones featuring Mike's signature and an extra track on the bonus CD - i.e. the ones which were made available throught the website - and there actually are more copies available, which may be bought through Amazon and other online shops? Please explain, as I don't understand exactly what's going on.

There are only 500 of that particular edition - that is, the ones that come with a signed and numbered certificate.

This is rather like the Exposed limited edition, where the only difference between that and the later release of it was the fact that the non-limited edition ones didn't have the sticker on them.

There's no actual difference in the contents as far as I know. The difference in track listings is just down to Amazon describing things differently - both of them have the demos and the scrapped mix on the bonus disc.

so this 500 signed edition is also with numbered certificate that doesnt come with normal ultimate box?
it didint state anywhere in item description that it would be numbered also so is this confirmed what you told?

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 02:53

It's on the tubularbells2009.com front page (amongst other places, it's been said to me in email a few times as well):

"there will only be 500 of these superb limited edition sets (signed and numbered)"

The certificate bit may be just an assumption on my part - I've had a quick search of my notes and emails and haven't found anything mentioning it, but I'm sure I got the idea from somewhere that there would be a kind of certificate of authenticity with it. It might have been something that was mentioned on the phone which I didn't write down (or it may just be wrong). Anyway, that's what makes these different from the ordinary Ultimate Edition, the fact that they're signed and numbered.
Profile PM 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 03:13

Quote (Ugo @ May 17 2009, 22:53)
...an extra track on the bonus CD ...

What the #*//&ç ? what bonus track, weren't those editions meant to be the same except for the signing ?  :(
What is the bonus track going to be?

edit : I read Korgscrew reply, tracklisting is the same...  :p

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: May 18 2009, 04:27

Quote (Korgscrew @ May 17 2009, 18:23)
I also think it's a shame they didn't give some kind of advance warning. They're generally not very good about letting people know what their plans are, or thinking about things from fans' perspective (and they don't seem too keen on taking advice about that either).

Anyway, I see one clear course of action here...and that's to start counting people who would have bought a copy but couldn't. Once we've got an idea of numbers, we can let Universal know, and if they're not interested in doing anything about it, we'll have to see what we can do without their help...and if we can't do anything without their help...well, at least we'll have tried (or we can make potato prints of Mike's signature). I'm making no promises at all other than that we'll do what we can - in fact, it's very unlikely you'll be able to buy the exact same thing, as they've already stated that this is a limited edition of 500 (and having sold them on that basis, they now have a contract with the people who've already ordered...if it turns out they're making more than 500, they'll have trouble on their hands) - but maybe we can come up with some kind of interesting solution (and maybe a few people will decide they don't want copies they've already bought and will be kind enough to part company with them at a reasonable price...).

So...if you're still interested in a copy (or something broadly similar), let me know, either here or in PM. Once I've got an idea of numbers, I'll start talking to people and see where things lead.

I totally agree with you about the bad timing. I just left my computer 20 minutes prior to the message and didn´t get back to it until the following afternoon.

:( :( :(

So if there´s a chance to get Mikey to sign another lot of editions, count me in.

:/

Cheers

Chris
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 05:11

Quote (Korgscrew @ May 18 2009, 07:53)
The certificate bit may be just an assumption on my part ... Anyway, that's what makes these different from the ordinary Ultimate Edition, the fact that they're signed and numbered.

I'd say your assumption would be correct, Korgsrew. It would be surprising that a signed release like this wouldn't have some sort of certificate.
Profile PM 
Atrastorm Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 05:54

Talking of price though, did anyone buy the David Gilmour Live In Gdansk 5 disc set with "ball balls and extras". Because that was about £50-60 so with the tubular bells ultimate edition youre getting 5 discs AND the vinyl copy plus extras so it seems reasonable to me....(?)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 08:19

@ Atrastorm: I got the Gilmour box and it's excellent; it was sure well worth its price, as this Oldfield one is (IMHO). :)

@ Korgscrew & Pat Gleeson: the Depeche Mode Sounds of the Universe "Limited Deluxe Edition" box, which in spite of its name does not appear to be 'limited' at all, features a Certificate of Authenticity, signed (?) by the three band members and numbered (mine is 93248). Maybe the M.O. box will feature a similar kind of certificate? I honestly can't imagine Mike with a pen in his hand, signing personally all of the 500 copies. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 08:59

Quote (Ugo @ May 18 2009, 14:19)
I honestly can't imagine Mike with a pen in his hand, signing personally all of the 500 copies. :D

I totally agree with Ugo.

I am sure Mike has not signed 500 times...

Somebody has done it on his behalf

Can you imagine Mike with his pen, signing 500 pieces of paper or something like that? I cannot, because he didn't even want to give only one to me..... :D

Really, I can't...

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 09:07

@ Yanouch: adding to that, I think we should also keep in mind that Mike's signature (at least as I remember it) is not a very slurred one - like for instance Benny Andersson's signature on the Abba Gold cover, where only 'Be' and 'A' are readable and the rest is a line. :D In Mike's autograph, I remember at least 'Mik' and 'Old' as being clearly readable. That's one reason more for him not to inflict himself the boring task of physically signing all of the 500 copies. ;) That's something hard rockers do - something that Adrian Smith, Dave Murray, Joe Perry from Aerosmith, Joe Satriani would do. And it's usually guitars, not pieces of paper. :D

@ NabLa below here: Same for me. ;)

EDIT: I don't think it will be someone signing on his behalf. It will most probably be a printed signature, like the Abba ones I mentioned above and the Depeche Mode ones.

--------------
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 09:07

I was lucky enough to have read the email 30 seconds after it arrived. 2 minutes later I had already paid for it WOO!

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 09:37

Quote (Ugo @ May 18 2009, 13:07)
I don't think it will be someone signing on his behalf. It will most probably be a printed signature, like the Abba ones I mentioned above and the Depeche Mode ones.

Most of the marketing materials say signed by Mike Oldfield. Not signed on his behalf, not printed on his behalf.

That's like saying sung by Milli Vanilli...and as Milli Vanilli would tell you, when you give people what it says on the tin, you get in trouble.

If Mike can't personally sign 500 copies, you don't take money for 500 copies, simple as that. Once you do take the money, you have a legally binding contract to provide what you've promised the customer. If you take that money when you have no intention to provide what you've promised, that's called fraud. Fraud is pretty serious stuff...but equally, so is libel...so I think it would be best to wait until someone has good evidence before anyone accuses Universal of planning fraud.

That's not to say that record companies haven't done it in the past...just that I sincerely hope that it's not happening in this case; I see absolutely no reason to suspect it.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 09:40

If you do a daily schedule of signing a certain number of copies per day,you can perfectly sign all the 500 copies in a certain period of time.

Dunno where we will find the autograph on the box,I think it will be on the 60-page booklet.

Mike's autograph varies so much in terms of its shape,it can be nicely signed and readable or something else,from what I've seen on the web.Some examples:

http://p200server.us.es/mikeoldfield/verfoto.asp?id=4209
http://p200server.us.es/mikeoldfield/verfoto.asp?id=3712
http://p200server.us.es/mikeoldfield/verfoto.asp?id=6248
http://p200server.us.es/mikeoldfield/verfoto.asp?id=3286

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 09:54

Well, well, well... some time ago, I ordered Miriam Stockley's latest CD, Eternal, directly from her - i.e. from her own web-based store. At the time it said that she would sign the booklets of the first 1000 ordered CDs. Mine came in as 412, and sure as heck it says "To Ugo, with love, Miriam Stockley", very clearly - written with a silver-coloured pen. Now, Mike's signature surely won't be so personalized (I guess the orders are anonymous), but it would be very nice if it was a real, pen-written (or felt-pen-written) signature.

@ Tati: as far as I could see the box is white; the autograph may be written in black on the box itself. About signing xx copies per day, yes, sure it can be done... you sign 50 copies each day, in 10 days you're done. But that doesn't prevent it from being boring, as Neil Tennant would say. :D

@ Korgscrew: during the promotion for the Depeche Mode box, DM's official website said that the box would contain a Certificate of Authenticity "numbered and signed by Depeche Mode". The one I have features 3 printed signatures. Maybe "signed" doesn't necessarily imply hand-signed? :D

"Sung by Milli Vanilli" ?  OK, Frank Farian is very well-known as a musical trickster, but... ROTFL!! :laugh: :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 10:19

Quote (Korgscrew @ May 18 2009, 15:37)
Quote (Ugo @ May 18 2009, 13:07)
I don't think it will be someone signing on his behalf. It will most probably be a printed signature, like the Abba ones I mentioned above and the Depeche Mode ones.

Most of the marketing materials say signed by Mike Oldfield. Not signed on his behalf, not printed on his behalf.

If Mike can't personally sign 500 copies, you don't take money for 500 copies, simple as that. Once you do take the money, you have a legally binding contract to provide what you've promised the customer. If you take that money when you have no intention to provide what you've promised, that's called fraud. Fraud is pretty serious stuff...but equally, so is libel...so I think it would be best to wait until someone has good evidence before anyone accuses Universal of planning fraud.

That's not to say that record companies haven't done it in the past...just that I sincerely hope that it's not happening in this case; I see absolutely no reason to suspect it.

I hope you are right.

Maybe he didn't sign the box, but only a piece of paper, like a certificate. Can you imagine Mike open 500 boxes or can you imagine Mercury send 500 boxes to the Bahamas?
:D

--------------

Profile PM 
Olly Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 10:20

Quote (Atrastorm @ May 18 2009, 05:54)
Talking of price though, did anyone buy the David Gilmour Live In Gdansk 5 disc set with "ball balls and extras". Because that was about £50-60 so with the tubular bells ultimate edition youre getting 5 discs AND the vinyl copy plus extras so it seems reasonable to me....(?)

I got this Gilmour 5 disc cd/Dvd box set(it cost 50£ )but I also got the 5 record vinyl edition which is a wonderful box indeed.The price wasn’t bad for it (some 55£ )
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 10:41

Statut of the order:

In Packing (10:00 18/5/09)

You can see it here: http://www.bandstores.co.uk/shop/tubularbells/orderstatus.php

:)

--------------

Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 10:43

@ yanouch: the 'Order Status' is a universal page - not meaning Universal as the record company's name :D, but meaning that you can only make it different by entering your own order number and e-mail address. I entered put mine, and this is the result:

This is the current status for your order number 5036439
Date : 15th May 2009
Time : 21:16

:)

--------------
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 10:52

My current stats...both for the signed box + black tee:

Date :  15th May 2009
Time :  23:54

Let's see how long it will take to arrive here in Brazil!

Quote (yanouch65 @ May 18 2009, 11:19)
Can you imagine Mike open 500 boxes or can you imagine Mercury send 500 boxes to the Bahamas? :D

Or maybe Mike was in the UK for a while and did all the job,who knows...his home in Mallorca is still on sale!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 11:33

Oooh yeah, mine says 'In Packing' too!  :D

Does this mean that we're going to get them before the official release date? That would be nice!

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
522 replies since May 15 2009, 17:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (27) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net