Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sailing to Premiere on BBC Radio 2, 14 Jan 14 after 11 AM< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dunebasher Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 16 2014, 01:42

Can't understand why so many on here don't like it due to it having a happy feel and sound to it!

The fact that it's happy doesn't bother me at all, it's the blandness of the melody and lyrics that's the problem. It's possible to write a happy song that's also melodically and lyrically interesting. Sailing sounds like the work of someone who's only just starting out writing songs.
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2014, 04:43

Have been listening to it quite a few times now... I can relate to people here that are saying it's disappointing from a fanpoint of view. Mike's fans are (mostly) more into work that has more complexity. So do I, and I admit I had somewhat higher expectations regarding that.

But something made me ponder about the song... I found myself singing and humming the melody all day long... And more surprising was that my daughter of 7 picked up on it immediately.... To me that's a sign of potential commercial succes, but also that this song has a distinct quality that lots of other songs lack: the melody sticks into ones head...
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2014, 13:44

I have been listening to it more and more, and yes it may not be the Oldfield of old, but I really like it, I think the more people hear it, they will like it more, and he does play some good guitar fills and solo throughout, Luke's voice is well suited to the song I think, even though I think female voices are better suited to Mikes song in general. I can see the song being a sing along song live too, which you can't say about many of his songs, the lyrics may not stand up to Roger Waters, but Mike has never been much of a lyric writer, even by his own admission.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2014, 14:10

Maybe the wrong track to judge the lyrics it being a fun happy song unlike supposedly the other tracks. It will be good to find out how much Mike has improved his lyric writing skills (as well as song writing in general) on hearing the whole album considering this is a very personal album reflecting on some dark periods in Mike's past. We know he has sort the skills of the famous Don Black a few years ago I assume to help improve this self-confessed weakness.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2014, 18:13

Anyone else only hearing two chords on this song, C and G?

It's not the best song in the world. Although I've got a feeling this was rustled up at the last minute by Mike. Might explain the 2 chords.
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2014, 20:46

The song uses 4 chords:

(Intro)
C     G

C                   G                                               C
Let me out, I can't breath, gotta get out of this concrete
                                  G
hole. I'm wrecked, I'm decked, gotta break free before I
C                                      G
lose control. Cast the lines away, from the dock at the
          Am                                                  G
harbor bay. All those cares and worries and woes,
                                            F
you can save them for another day, because we're
G    C     G     C                   G        F
sailing, Sailing, yes we're sailing, sailing

(The rest of the piece follows the same format and chords).
Profile PM WEB 
pauken Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2014, 05:39

The chords for the first "sailing" are C G, not G C and there's a quick sneaky G after the F before it all repeats :)
I've extracted the song from iPlayer if anyone is interested, let me know.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2014, 06:10

Quote (GusFogle @ Jan. 16 2014, 20:46)
The song uses 4 chords:

(Intro)
C     G

C                   G                                               C
Let me out, I can't breath, gotta get out of this concrete
                                  G
hole. I'm wrecked, I'm decked, gotta break free before I
C                                      G
lose control. Cast the lines away, from the dock at the
          Am                                                  G
harbor bay. All those cares and worries and woes,
                                            F
you can save them for another day, because we're
G    C     G     C                   G        F
sailing, Sailing, yes we're sailing, sailing

(The rest of the piece follows the same format and chords).

Thanks Gus.

Yeah, had a quick listen last night while sitting with my guitar and could only really make out C and G.

If nothing else, at least it's a good and easy song to strum along to.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2014, 06:57

Quote (Chicular @ Jan. 16 2014, 18:13)
It's not the best song in the world. Although I've got a feeling this was rustled up at the last minute by Mike. Might explain the 2 chords.

If thats true then what a huge mistake. A great well written single can really sell an album, as I'm sure we all know. Crises was a huge success on the back of Moonlight Shadow after all. Man on the Rocks is the sort of comeback album in the wake of the Olympic coverage that if handled well, and indeed is of good enough quality, then it could really do well for Mike and put him back on the map. Its just a shame the first single isn't stronger. If Sailing isn't representative of the flavour of the final album, and I think someone in the know on his Facebook page said its not, then its a bit strange releasing it at all I think.

Toby ... one thought Mike may have chosen a young male vocalist is the personal events he's musically reflecting on are when he was Luke's age ? Mike has stated he wanted the vocalist to express in his singing something of the emotion he experienced at the time of these personal events. That's my take on it anyway.

Thats possibly true I guess. For some reason I thought the album was all about recent events in his life. However good Luke Spiller's voice is I'm actually far more interested in the version of the album that has Mike singing on it. Its great that its being released too. If they're personal songs then it'll make a huge difference to have Mike himself singing them, there will be much more emotional connection I think. Despite what Mike himself may think Heaven's Open proved he has got a perfectly good singing voice and indeed that album was a huge improvement over Earth Moving in part because he actually gave himself a voice.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2014, 07:36

Quote (TOBY @ Jan. 17 2014, 06:57)
Quote (Chicular @ Jan. 16 2014, 18:13)

If thats true then what a huge mistake. A great well written single can really sell an album, as I'm sure we all know. Crises was a huge success on the back of Moonlight Shadow after all. Man on the Rocks is the sort of comeback album in the wake of the Olympic coverage that if handled well, and indeed is of good enough quality, then it could really do well for Mike and put him back on the map. Its just a shame the first single isn't stronger. If Sailing isn't representative of the flavour of the final album, and I think someone in the know on his Facebook page said its not, then its a bit strange releasing it at all I think.

I'm basing my opinion on some messages Mike sent out during the process of making the album.  At first there were 10 demos then he announced there was now an 11th demo, and I think he mentioned it was to do with Sailing.
Profile PM 
Argiers Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2014, 18:40

Just listened to Sailing twice. It's catchy as hell, unmistakably Mike (he may not win lyricist of the year but he has a unique childlike way with words) and amazing to hear his guitar on a rock solo again.... Basically, I'm really happy. As a true MO fan, you have to accept that you'll NEVER know what he's going to do next. Come on, who'd have predicted Killing Fields in the same year as Discovery? Amarok after EM? The generous handful of singles in the 70's that could only have come from him? Etc etc etc.... Even in my least favourite albums/tracks, there's something to love for me. Be grateful the man still makes his music and keeps us on our toes. Let's not forget, too, the quality, though not consistent, of the reissues so far. I look forward to each re-release like a kid at Christmas. Thanks Mike.

--------------
Buggered if I know...
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 17 2014, 19:15

~ Message deleted at the request of the author ~
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2014, 19:50

Biggest shock/surprise was Platinum following on from Incantations for me ! :)
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2014, 02:22

I think, the "bad" thing, which makes it sound very "generic" track is the omnipresent reverberation of all instruments (like it was recorded on the hall or something, not in studio). This effect makes music very blend and smooth and then it sounds just like tausends of other popular songs. Very fashionable, though.

Ofcourse reverberation is not bad at all, but only when use on less scale, and in other "modes". Why Platinum or FMO albums sounds soo different (like it was recorded in a small room)? Because all instruments are not mixed with reverb effect but sounds almost apart. This makes much closer attention of the listener and overall it sounds more insteresting (or just "different" :) ). Listen to Pink FLoyd's Wish You Were Here, Animals or The Wall albums - they sounds very mysteriously and precise, almost like the band standing in your room and playing a concert just for you :)
Don't know if anybody listen to the new Vangelis remaster album of Heaven And Hell, where they added a reverberation in many places allover, so the sound is more mixed (the original begining of first track is more insteresting and magical for me, than the remastered version).

On the other hand, on the Crises album, Mike has used a lot of reverbs, and the album sounds moooore different than FMO, i would say...hmm more commercial, but still magic :) So it's all about the production and effects used in post-production.

Sailing track, even when it's just a simple little song, could sound more interesting, where it was produced in some other way... (Family Man? - nooo, those times are waaaay behind us!;) :)

Anyway, it's just my personal thoughts, so you may not agree with me, but i prefer to listen to all the music from the 70's and 80's then the 90's and especially the present days.
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2014, 14:18

For me the production is the least of what makes the track generic. The chord changes, the melody (or lack of one), and lyrics are what makes it generic.

Of course criticizing Mike's lyrics is a low blow, so perhaps we won't hold that against him as we know it has never been one of his best skills.
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2014, 15:01

It's one hell of a song. I don't give a damn about what chord changes there is. Simple or complex, it makes no difference, for it is a spiritual connection. That sound when the fingernails touch the strings, that is the connection!
Profile PM 
MikeArnold Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2014, 15:15

Listened again. Like it!  :)
Very light hearted.  Taking the track for what it is intentioned to be, it is a pleasure to listen to.  Luke Spiller is really good on vocals. Good one Mr. O!
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2014, 15:16

Glad you were able to enjoy it.

I've experienced a spiritual connection with Mike's music too. The first time I heard Ommadawn comes to mind. But I don't get it here. To each his own.
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2014, 15:33

Quote (GusFogle @ Jan. 18 2014, 21:16)
I've experienced a spiritual connection with Mike's music too.

Undoubtedly! I have seen your performances of Amarok and Incantations. Hope the new album will be to your satisfaction.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2014, 15:50

I liked the track on first listen and like it even more now ... a definite grower ! ... I may get to love it esp. when in context of hearing the whole album with all the other supposedly dark tracks*  I don't think it's meant to be a show-off piece for Mike's genius talent but a fun track and there moreso for it's sensibility.

* There may be another happy track ... the one video sampled in the studio with the session players (which I thought was the Sailing track at the time due to it's positivity) clearly sounds different from Sailing. Mike in the innerviews interview clearly referred to all the other tracks apart for Sailing as miserable (but powerful) so I deduce the video sampled one we saw and heard must be the late addition 11th track. Anyone agree or disagree ? :)
Profile PM 
139 replies since Jan. 13 2014, 13:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net