Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sailing to Premiere on BBC Radio 2, 14 Jan 14 after 11 AM< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
GusFogle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 21 2014, 23:00

You all are sounding like a bunch of old fuddy-duddies with your comments about facebook.

I'm not a fan of it either but the fact is you are missing out on a lot of stuff that is coming DIRECT from the source (or Caroline Monk, as close to the real source as possible) meaning information can be shared and spread at a much faster rate than just trickling down through the forums like this one. Music forums like this are outmoded and are gradually dying out. That's a real shame in a sense because it means that great communities of people (that have in some cases been around 10+ years) are being disbanded. On the positive side, social media gives fans the opportunities to interact directly with their favorite artists and receive accurate information on albums, tour dates, etc.

At worst you'd have nothing to lose by making a "dummy" facebook account, used just to get on the Oldfield group and nothing else.
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2014, 03:16

....I'm happy to be an unmanageable fuddy duddy!

I like the forum idea, I don't like wasting my time

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2014, 03:31

Quote (bee @ Jan. 22 2014, 03:16)
....I'm happy to be an unmanageable fuddy duddy!

I like the forum idea, I don't like wasting my time

Well, you don't need to waste your time on Facebook at all. You don't even need to use your real name there.
You can just use it to log in from time to time and check what is happening in the group, that is all.
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2014, 03:37

Some close-mindedness is happening up in here.
Profile PM WEB 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2014, 04:40

All I want in an ideal world is ONE place for up to date MO information.
Caroline has 3-4 facebooks, Mike has a few…then Luke is posting stuff….then you have universal pages,etc,etc...
Its just hard keeping track….and thats assuming you use Facebook, which I don't.
If you have time to go looking all over the place then thats cool.
But a concentrated effort to put updates in a single place would make more sense.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2014, 05:13

MO Personal FB page is sufficient to stay up to date. Nearly all occasional stuff appearing elsewhere ends up on this page in very short time. Though MO on Record FB page is also very good for connecting with fellow fans.

I was one who was not in the slightest bit interested in social media esp. FB or Twitter but being an avid MO fan I felt I couldn't miss out ... and you are missing out big time e.g. all the MOTR promo work at Mike's house and on his £/$ million boat (where Luke and Mike were doing the Sailing promo video). I'm so glad I did register with FB.

I can very well understand peoples unwillingness not getting involved me being now over 50 years old and somewhat set in my ways esp. the way life is nowadays but I definitely do not regret joining FB.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 22 2014, 06:34

Re: Sailing, I still kinda like it, after a few more listens I think it is fairly catchy. Woudn't list it in my top 10 of Mikes songs but wouldn't put it anywhere near the bottom either! I like Lukes voice though I am not sure about having the same vocalist on every single track on a Mike album. That'll be a new experience!

The other tiny snippet of another album track sounded really good to me so I'm certainly looking forward to hearing the whole album. Only time will tell if it ends up being one of my favourite MO albums I guess (only time...).

Re: facebook, I think it is great that Mike has Caroline on board now and they are giving out all this info and communicating. If they (Mike and Caroline) find facebook the easiest and most fun way for them to do this then that is fine by me. Guess for folks who don't want to join facebook (which I *completely* understand! ) we just need to try and ensure that anything of particular importance gets posted for discussion here or any other Mike forums. Can't see it makes sense to post absolutely *everything* however. I saw on one of Carolines facebook posts someone had asked if her videos could be on youtube to make it easier to link to them from places like tubular.net. Would sure be nice if that could be done!

However facebook is no replacement for a (semi)organised searchable long lasting forum in my opinion :)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2014, 11:40

Noticed that the boxset supposedly exclusive to Universal store is on Amazon UK for £19
Profile PM 
sagan2 Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2014, 20:09

So, which is Mike's personal facebook page? I get only "Mike Oldfield Official"....And it has Five Miles Out/crises Boxed set ad on it :)

And, about Sailing - it is lovely to hear Mr. Sklar's a bit peculiar bass playing on some points :)

--------------
www.soundcloud.com/sagan2-1
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2014, 21:33

Just out of curiosity, what did you find peculiar about the bass track? About the most remarkable thing he does on "Sailing" is playing a note other than the root in a few spots, inverting the chord. One can also assume this was Mike's idea in the first place, or that Mike wrote out the bass part for Leland to play.

By the way, this is the facebook page everyone is talking about:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mikeoldfieldpersonal/
Profile PM WEB 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2014, 08:31

Quote (GusFogle @ Jan. 22 2014, 04:00)
You all are sounding like a bunch of old fuddy-duddies with your comments about facebook.

I haven't tracked the various comments about Facebook, but, just to get in my 2d worth*, I have nothing against it as a concept, it's just the execution is p*ss poor...the forums here are a much clearer way of laying out information, comments etc

* see what I did there, to demonstrate my fuddy-duddiness!

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2014, 12:20

Speaking as another old fuddy-duddy, I've recently closed my Facebook account because I was getting increasingly bored with 'friends' telling me what they'd just had for their dinner, and how drunk they got last night, et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseum.....

Social media is not for me, and judging by the number of posts echoing my sentiments, I'm not the only one.

Having said all that - for those of us who are not signed up to social media sites - Caroline has also posted her recent photos from Nassau on her Twitter page, which can be viewed without requiring membership.

https://twitter.com/carolinemonk

Just click on Photos and Videos and all will revealed. Some nice pictures!

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2014, 17:13

For my tuppence (probably ha'penny) worth of opinion - and this "Sailing played on the Radio" thread seems to have been morphed into a "Facebook good/evil" thread - both Facebook and forums have thier uses.

I find forums much, much easier to navigate, to find information or to return to discussions I'm interested in. Facebook despite lots of algorithms is still too linear. The nuggets are hidden amongst tons of trash.

On the plus side, its much easier to post to, especially in this age of mobility. Also - their is a much wider Oldfield fandom active on Facebook. The forums tend to split mostly by country. And Facebook is instant, and at the moment is the nearest thing to actual contact with our hero!

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2014, 16:56

Quote (olracUK @ Jan. 23 2014, 22:13)
For my tuppence (probably ha'penny) worth of opinion - and this "Sailing played on the Radio" thread seems to have been morphed into a "Facebook good/evil" thread - both Facebook and forums have thier uses.

I find forums much, much easier to navigate, to find information or to return to discussions I'm interested in. Facebook despite lots of algorithms is still too linear. The nuggets are hidden amongst tons of trash.

On the plus side, its much easier to post to, especially in this age of mobility. Also - their is a much wider Oldfield fandom active on Facebook. The forums tend to split mostly by country. And Facebook is instant, and at the moment is the nearest thing to actual contact with our hero!

Agreed all round.

I resisted joining Facebook for the longest time as I suspected it of being dumbed-down and a waste of time. I've succumbed to it now though I must admit and I think it can be useful and even fun at times, but it can't fully replace a dedicated forum. It isn't well organised or flexible enough for that. As you say too linear for that purpose and rather basic IMO.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
nurofeg Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2014, 18:07

Any information about some cd single ???

I just find some promo Sailing cd on ebay with only one track: Sailing.

--------------
Searching for:
SURFING (promo cd single) 2005 - SURFCJ1  
MONT ST. MICHEL (promo cd single) 1996 - PRCD363
Profile PM WEB 
falk Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2014, 18:20

hello everyone. just joined mike oldfields facebookpage just because i could. I wanted to know, how it was built and so on. Did I learn anything important, i couldn`t get to know on this site? No I did not. In fact i might still get the best of news on tubular net. Some may be oldfashioned and don´t want a facebookaccount. Fair enough. In fact i got a lot of distance to a fair lot of people, including my fammily, and being a writer I use it to communicate with my publisher. In other words, it´s important to me, but not in terms of mike oldfield. Pictures of mike in the bahamas socially etc etc etc. Nothing which i really care about. I care about the music and the information about it, and for that you need tubular net (I certainly do), but facebook? Don´t bother
Profile PM 
sagan2 Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2014, 07:33

Quote (GusFogle @ Jan. 22 2014, 21:33)
Just out of curiosity, what did you find peculiar about the bass track? About the most remarkable thing he does on "Sailing" is playing a note other than the root in a few spots, inverting the chord. One can also assume this was Mike's idea in the first place, or that Mike wrote out the bass part for Leland to play.

By the way, this is the facebook page everyone is talking about:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mikeoldfieldpersonal/

well, yes, that's what I meant about Mr. SKlar's playing ;)

btw, thanx for facebook info, I found it and managed to join....Now I need large screen and resolution to be able to see it all LOL...
I think it would be best if facebook wouldn't replace tubular.net forums, but co-exist with it more or less equally...Both "old-fashioned" forums and facebook have their good and bad sides I'd say...

--------------
www.soundcloud.com/sagan2-1
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2014, 18:36

Caroline has just informed us on FB that Sailing will be the RECORD OF THE WEEK on BBC Radio 2 !  :)

At least 10 plays next week including I believe daily plays on Ken Bruce's morning show !

Fantastic promotion for the forthcoming new album !
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2014, 21:08

Quote (TOBY @ Jan. 20 2014, 13:16)
Its an unfortunate fact of life these days that if you're not on facebook you do miss out on quite a lot. As far as bands and artists are concerned it has in part taken over from having a regular website. Record labels like it because its a great way to manage fans, the backbone of it is people sharing content and the feedback is of course direct. Facebook and Twitter have just become a whole area of the internet unto themselves really. There's obvious downsides to it though. You can't collect and organise content like you do with a website like Tubular.net and its not a great forum for having discussion, as Mike's facebook page and various other artists pages I frequent sometimes prove. They do have to be managed well. I think Caroline Monk does a great job with Mike's one.

It is true though that Facebook has sucked the life out of fan sites to a certain extent. (I'm not just talking about Mike here but generally) Its an evolution of the way the internet is used I guess.  

If you don't like facebook but don't want to miss out on all the stuff going on there then just make up an alias account. My girlfriend has an account under our cats name. Our cat doesn't give a toss about privacy lol.

Facebook vs. our forums... If it's a war they want, break out the cat pictures! :laugh:

I started an account but have barely done anything with it, chiefly because I don't like the way it's put together.  I look at updates from a few family members and that's about it.  I'm not savvy enough to find a competing social media site that I would get along with and I'm not in the habit of publically sharing anyway.  Although as I've said before, I can't swear that the urge to do things differently won't hit me - it is but a few years since I joined my first forum, and you wouldn't have caught me catting my posts back then. ;)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2014, 11:23

What is the link to hear the Sailing tune?

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
139 replies since Jan. 13 2014, 13:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net