Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sailing to Premiere on BBC Radio 2, 14 Jan 14 after 11 AM< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Harmono Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 14 2014, 12:48

It is what Mike said it would be, a lighthearted song.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2014, 13:09

The style is not my cup of tea as it's a kind of old men pop rock. But I like the high guitar lines in the middle and the very ending with mandoline
Profile PM 
familyman Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2014, 14:52

I quite like it...I've always found Mike's songs a bit hit and miss compared to his instrumental work but baring that in mind as well as the fact it's apparently the "happiest" song on the album (which is why they chose it for radio), I am looking forward to hearing the rest of MOTR.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2014, 16:14

Not in the same League as FMO  . Man in the Rain, etc etc, just a Safe Radio Friendly MOR type Track.. The Hook of the Song just doesn't do it for me.. This time anyway.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Nexus6 Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2014, 17:04

Well, I liked it and i believe if you want to bring it to the mass of people this would be the one.... May not be something for the fans, but hey, I'm glad he's still going on... I'm sure my wife and 2 year old daughter will like it.  Be happy  and take it easy ;-)
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2014, 17:50

eugh
Profile PM 
sagan2 Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2014, 18:28

I managed to hear only telephone mic recording on youtube and it sounds like Crime of Passion remnants meeting Tom Petty :) If it was sung by Julie Driscoll and Adrian Edmondson it might just become theme title of some TV show LOL
Sounds suprisingly cheerful and catchy to me, but I'm really curious about the production...Anybody managed to make decent recording out of BBC stream?

--------------
www.soundcloud.com/sagan2-1
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2014, 19:02

Listen, you lot bitched about To Be Free, Man in the Rain, and countless other "radio friendly" tracks.  So please, quite your bitching now!  Because we all know in a few years, when something else comes along for you all to wine about, you'll praise Sailing and hate that.

Yes, it's a VERY commercial song!  Quite a Nashville-esque song.  Yes, it's likely to be covered by a country artist.  Yes, it is a basic reworking in every sense of Moonlight Shadow/Man in the Rain.  The vocals are quite Heaven's Open.  Mike is trying something he has not tried since HO.  Give him some support and enjoy this uplifting song!  It's certainly better than all the Kesha and Katy Perry and Gaga driven non-sense!
Profile PM 
Nexus6 Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2014, 22:14

Quote (sagan2 @ Jan. 15 2014, 04:28)
I managed to hear only telephone mic recording on youtube and it sounds like Crime of Passion remnants meeting Tom Petty :) If it was sung by Julie Driscoll and Adrian Edmondson it might just become theme title of some TV show LOL
Sounds suprisingly cheerful and catchy to me, but I'm really curious about the production...Anybody managed to make decent recording out of BBC stream?

http://www.goear.com/listen/b91492f/sailing-direct-recording-bbc-radio-2-mike-oldfield
Profile PM 
Dunebasher Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 00:34

Quote (christopher @ Jan. 14 2014, 19:02)
when something else comes along for you all to wine about, you'll praise Sailing and hate that

I can confidently say I'll never praise Sailing. It's an extremely bland song that sounds completely anonymous and generic, which is something that I could never say about any of Mike's previous songs. The melody is uninspired and the lyrics are trite. Quite seriously, it sounds like the early effort of an amateur songwriter.

Yes, it is a basic reworking in every sense of Moonlight Shadow/Man in the Rain

No it's not. It's nowhere near as good as either of those songs, both of which clearly carried the Oldfield stamp. This doesn't. It sounds like a Traveling Wilburys cast-off.

Give him some support and enjoy this uplifting song!

It's too boring to be enjoyable. Sorry. Fortunately, Mike has made plenty of much better songs, so I can listen to those instead.

It's certainly better than all the Kesha and Katy Perry and Gaga driven non-sense!

Lady Gaga in particular makes much better and more interesting commercial pop than Mike. And I was listening to Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus on the radio this morning - there is far more musical invention in that song than Sailing.

Time will tell if Sailing ends up successful, but my gut feeling is that it won't. It's just too bland.
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 00:41

Everyone has a right to their opinion. If people think the song is garbage then let them have their opinion. The impression it left on me was almost no impression at all. Neither remarkably good or remarkably bad. Just generic and forgettable. The vocals were good though and production-wise the instruments were well-recorded.

As Mike said "Sailing" is the odd-man out on the album so hopefully the rest of the tracks will have some of the Oldfield dark magic to them. "Sailing" is just far too happy and uninspired for me, but perhaps it will make sense within the context of the entire album.
Profile PM WEB 
backwoodsman Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 01:44

I'm wondering why did they choose this track to promote the album. If all the other tracks are different then why didn't they choose some other track that is more representative for the new album?
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 02:10

Because it's the upbeat, happy, radio-play-friendly song ! and consequently a good way to let as many people know that Mike is back with a new album esp. after such a long time since his last ?  :)  ... That's my guess !
Profile PM 
nurofeg Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 03:22

I hope that they will play Sailing (and other songs) live.

This song can be very rock live. Luke Spiller has very interesting live perfomance.

--------------
Searching for:
SURFING (promo cd single) 2005 - SURFCJ1  
MONT ST. MICHEL (promo cd single) 1996 - PRCD363
Profile PM WEB 
nickko Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 03:46

I had such low expectations for this album I'm not disappointed ! It's very mainstream, little ideas, always a bit the same recipe that he delivers us from Moonlight Shadow and all his successors, but it's good to hear Mike's guitar, the melody is undeniably catchy, and then we must say that this track is intended to play on the radios, so not necessarily the most original...
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 04:14

Yes, there are ups and downs to this song. It is nothing surprising, but nothing bad either. However the guitar solo (Mike's trademark) was a bit disappointing. My first impression was that it could have been done by any MO fan who mastered his guitar sound.
I am still hoping the rest of the album will be far more interesting.

Production wise it is indeed done perfectly and Luke's voice is great too, lyrics are catchy, but that's about it I'm afraid.

Despite this criticism, I still like listening to it.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 04:38

I quite like the guitar solo on Sailing but I've always much preferred his guitar playing on the albums rather than his singles.
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 05:10

Guitar reminds me of Chris Rea's early slide guitar playing.
Profile PM 
sagan2 Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 07:56

Quote (Nexus6 @ Jan. 14 2014, 22:14)
Quote (sagan2 @ Jan. 15 2014, 04:28)

http://www.goear.com/listen....ldfield

Thnx, but after I barely managed to register in Spanish language nothing can be heard
:/

--------------
www.soundcloud.com/sagan2-1
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 08:21

Hey all,

I will be playing the track as part of the regular "JoeShow - Mike Oldfield and Related Special", tonight (Wed 15th Jan) at The Look247 - Oldfield Special

Show starts at 9PM GMT - all Oldfield and Related material for at least an hour.

Cheers!
Profile PM 
139 replies since Jan. 13 2014, 13:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net