...shal the Muse
pay a visit,
over copper wires,
just like she once
was pacing the halings,
we shall see,
shall see...
:)

although FMO and Crises burst with quality muscians and ideas, it is not just perfect players, singers or engineers that made them special but the transcedentality which, in my opinion was the critical element that made the whole thing "still working" after 30 years...TB 2003 was perfectly played and recorded, wasn't it?

--------------
www.soundcloud.com/sagan2-1
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 02 2013, 04:07

I am afraid I am with you bell boy. For me this turns me off and I just can't get excited about a "Rock" album by numbers. Even calling it a "Rock" album sounds very cheesy.

Has Mike fallen on hard times ? I don't see much gear in his "studio", in fact I have more gear in mine. The room is also very small.

No, I prefer Mike creating a whole work that is unique like Ommadawn, Amarok, Hergest Ridge, FMO with passion, spontaneity and hunger. Not looking through a monitor at people on the other side of the world at people you probably never met. I am not sure he has that passion any longer, I suspect he isn't quite the same as he was a few years ago but I could be (and hope to be) proved wrong but with Gospel singers and the like I will give it a miss and get the deluxe FMO and Crises instead.
Profile PM WEB 
ThisName Offline

Posted: July 02 2013, 06:09

Having looked at the photos there is a lot of sheet music for all band members which leads me to think that it might be more detailed than just 3 chord rock. I would imagine from what I can gauge in the photos that there are some quite extended passages which excites me.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: July 02 2013, 06:23

Well... I'am a little sad, beacuse of this new album after listening to that clip... I think, this sound very easy and common, like tausend of other rock-pop songs. The song can be very radio friendly, and maybe this is the reason for recording this new album? Maybe he want to gain more commercial succes, than create some odd complicated stuff? I didn't count, that the new album will be strongly into old stuff, but this sound not so good to me... :/ But ofcourse i'am waiting for the complete work.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: July 02 2013, 07:09

Lets face it , its pop not rock .
Nice pop songs for the euro market ,just like he started doing after Crises .
He had a hit with Moon Light Shadow then every song sounded the same .
May be because of the re-release of Crises he wants another top ten single ?
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: July 02 2013, 07:25

I hate to sound doom and gloom, and any MO is better than nothing....and I know its only 45 seconds.....

BUT one word springs to mind....DISNEY !!!!...
It sounds like The Lion King or Tarzan....Bizzare...

As I said think ..Earth Moving/Heaven Open Side one.

I really want to be proved wrong on this one.....
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: July 02 2013, 09:41

To give things a positive spin the clips reveal a few positives too:

1) If he's giving sheet music to the session musicians that suggests he's been writing all the parts himself, even if he's chosen to get sessioneers to record much of it.
2) Live, experienced session musicians are, IMHO, much preferable to synth washes, unimpressively sampled drum loops and bass-by-numbers.
3) The musicians seem to be enjoying themselves - not neccesarily always a good thing but rarely a bad thing.

It'd be nice if he took some of the tracks over the pop-friendly 4 minute barrier and really went for it on the guitars.  And do we know for sure there won't be any extended instrumentals on it?  Mogwai, Tortoise and their ilk are all "rock" acts with scarecely a handful of "songs" between them... one can but hope.
Profile PM WEB 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: July 02 2013, 11:50

It sounds nice enough I guess. Nothing particularly remarkable on first listen, and not even anything distinctively 'Oldfieldian' to my ears, but hey it'll probably develop further and grow on me - Mike's stuff usually does!

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: July 02 2013, 13:41

Could be anything . its a 30sec Segment of What, Who Knows. A  Vocals Album is going to be a Mixed Bag. Some Songs you will like Some you Won't.. Pretty Polar opposite to Spheres Though  :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 02 2013, 16:10

Quote (Bell Boy @ July 02 2013, 07:25)
BUT one word springs to mind....DISNEY !!!!...
It sounds like The Lion King or Tarzan....Bizzare...

Actually the Millenium Bell sounded a bit like "Tubular Bells goes Disney". Don't say you haven't been warned.  :p

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
CJJC Offline

Posted: July 02 2013, 20:15

I did enjoy that clip but then I always *have* liked Song of the Boat Men, so it stands to reason.

(still interested, not basing anything on watching the band listen to the dailies)

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Legend Offline

Posted: July 03 2013, 05:34

Absolutely no negative judgements from here - I find it both refreshing and light/positive - reminds me in a way of Flying Start - looking forward to more bits and pieces!!
Profile PM 
jayjay16428 Offline

Posted: July 03 2013, 07:28

Quote (jayjay16428 @ June 28 2013, 06:35)
I hope this is an error on the Amazon website but "Crises" (3 disc set) £12.41................"Five Miles Out" (5 disc set) £52.99!!! Iv'e been a Mike Oldfield fan since day one and have collected every album since "Tubular Bells" but can anyone tell me why I should have to pay an extra £40 more for the extra 2 disc's? Does anyone agree?

Amazon have now dropped the price to £31.67!!
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: July 03 2013, 13:31

Quote (jayjay16428 @ July 03 2013, 07:28)
Quote (jayjay16428 @ June 28 2013, 06:35)
I hope this is an error on the Amazon website but "Crises" (3 disc set) £12.41................"Five Miles Out" (5 disc set) £52.99!!! Iv'e been a Mike Oldfield fan since day one and have collected every album since "Tubular Bells" but can anyone tell me why I should have to pay an extra £40 more for the extra 2 disc's? Does anyone agree?

Amazon have now dropped the price to £31.67!!

Just do a shop around for the cheapest.
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 03 2013, 13:45

Have not been watching Mike's "stuff" for a few days, nice to find that clip. No big deal, but it was not the "highest fidelity" and deliberately so, it was a "teaser" of which I hope there will be no more provided. I either want to be pleased or disappointed by the final product. So far the tubenet(and mine) response is "it sounds like Earth Moving". I'm sure it will sound more "commercial" than FMO or etc. but since it should be in CD and other digital format(s), I bet MO will deliver a healthy 50 minutes or even an hour. Too little content to make an opinion yet. I was right on the money tho, months ago when I thought of Ray Wilson(he could have provided a real contribution as the only collaborator on this album-besides drummers etc.). I heard a tenor singing in that clip. When Earth Moving came out in the late 80's I asked a producer friend of mine, "why all these tenors?" Not just on EM but other bands like GTR or Mike+the Mechanics at the time. His reply, "because they are easier to record Jim". Then I thought about it and yes....less range to worry about and it's more "pop friendly".  That was what the EM album was to me, a VERY weak attempt at fitting in with the MTV-friendly sound and even at that time, the "high-tech" sound which was becoming very high tech even by today's standards. Let's hope the other 49 minutes and 20 seconds yield something more spine tingling.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: July 03 2013, 14:54

The fact that it's songs and not instrumental for a start loses me quite a lot. Earth Moving, Islands and the like were a terrible wrong turn away from his true self. Money, acceptance, fame ? who knows what motivates him but it doesn't seem to be what fired him in the early years. To me it sounded very late 80's/90's poppy light Rock. I knew Max Bacon as he lived in our town and delivered milk before and after working in his bands. He said Mike worked him until the early hours to get something right. He paid him for the album's songs but not overtime ;-)

Can anyone answer why Mike has such a small room that resembles a spare room office with hardly any gear ? Are Fanny and the children still around as they never seems to be in his latest pics anymore.
Profile PM WEB 
Gunz412 Offline

Posted: July 04 2013, 04:55

I seriously hope Mike isn’t ‘re-birthing’ again and coming back as Harry Styles!
I want rock, not pop.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 04 2013, 07:31

I'm guessing but the pop sounding clip is maybe from the Sailing track Mike mentioned. He stated all the other tracks were dark unlike this one so maybe the dark feeling tracks are the rock ones ? Considering the session musicians were head banging to the Chariots track supports this view I suggest.
Profile PM 
pipetune Offline

Posted: July 04 2013, 15:26

Sounds to me like he almost forgot to include himself! :)
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 04 2013, 16:25

Mike does provide the 'amazing guitar solos' as Stephen Lipson as stated.  :)
Profile PM 
65 replies since June 27 2013, 17:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net