Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Re-recording of Tubular Bells in 2003< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 19 2001, 11:34

During an interview with Ian Callaghan, producer of the series 'Seven More Days That Rocked The World' on BBC Radio 2, Mike said he may plan to re-record 'Tubular Bells' in 2003, for the 30th Anniversary, using modern technology , replacing the organ parts with a full orchestra as he originally wanted, and fixing the out of tune/time sections.
On 26 Apr 22:00, the BBC 2 series 'Seven More Days That Rocked The World' will be about the release of 'Tubular Bells' and will include an interview with Mike. The show is "a rollercoaster ride through some of rock'n’roll's greatest and most shocking moments" written and presented by Stuart Maconie, and produced by Ian Callaghan. Transcript of the show.
Profile PM 
dgcaer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 19 2001, 12:03

Wow, fantastic...

It will be tough for us to wait until 2003,
but we have no choice.

What a great new.
I'm happy for the rest of the day. biggrin ah! ah! ah!

By the way excuse my english (I'm french speaker)
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: April 19 2001, 12:59

Yeah!!! It's fantastic!!! biggrin
It will be very exciting hear the great classic "Tubular Bells" with the today's tecnology. I think it will be better than TBIII... smile)

I can´t wait!!

Bye, bye.
Stuart Breed Offline

Posted: April 19 2001, 13:01

Now, that's a great idea. Why not go the whole nine yards and do the same with Hergest Ridge.
A lot of people have been wanting to hear the Orchestral version of Hergest Ridge, I bet a hybrid recording would make a lot of fans very happy.

All the best,
Stu

--------------
Stu
Profile PM WEB 
Ludor Tudor Offline

Posted: April 19 2001, 13:22

--------------
Kjell at oldfield.no
Why don't you have a try to win at the competition?
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 19 2001, 14:10

Don't I remember Mike saying that there wouldn't be any more bells albums...or does this not count? wink

I feel that a good chunk of Tubular Bells' charm lies in the performance of it - the slight inaccuracies, rough sounding parts and unusual techniques.
In one way, I think it would be very interesting to hear how Mike approaches Tubular Bells, now he has the opportunity to get it into a state of being at least very close to how he wants it. On the other hand, I think that maybe the spirit of tubular bells should be allowed to rest in peace.

The message of this may be that Mike has run out of truly creative ideas. That may not be the case, but it will perhaps be how the world at large sees it.

I, if I were in his position, would prefer to look at why I'd made tubular bells, what feelings it embodied and what it represented, maybe the atmosphere when I'd recorded it, then take those things and create something new from them...Perhaps something more like one of his original ideas for tubular bells 2, which was to have it continuing where the first one left off. Of course, I'm not Mike and I doubt he'd appreciate me telling him what to do either wink

I guess we'll see what happens...
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: April 19 2001, 14:16

Don't I remember Mike saying that there wouldn't be any more bells albums...or does this not count?

Mike usually doesn't mean what he says, he only means what he plays... wink
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: April 19 2001, 17:02

Hard to decide if I'm excited or nervous.

I have no doubt Mike can make it sound good (no matter what he does, it sounds good ;-)! But I hope it won't be just the same soup reheated. The whole reason I like TB2 + 3 is because he didn't stick to the original TB theme exactly. He took an idea and changed it into a new concept with only hints of the original!

I can't get over the fear that he'll stick to the formula exactly this time. It's the word "re-record;" it sounds too much like it'll be the same idea done with modern equipment...like a movie remake: sometimes they do a better job, but more often than not it isn't quite as good as the original.

I hope this isn't what happens! I'm sure he can make it sound good...I just am not sure if I want an updated version of the original when I like the original just the way it is...

I'd rather he said he was going to do another TB "sequal" than a "re-recording" of the original. At least with the 1st one, we could be assured it would sound unique. But with the 2nd...uhh...are my fears justified?
Profile PM 
Ludor Tudor Offline

Posted: April 20 2001, 05:36

I hope this will happen!!! I can't nearly wait for it.... But I will. And I think this would be a great opurtunity to back to Virgin. I love this idea!

--------------
Kjell at oldfield.no
Profile PM WEB 
Ludor Tudor Offline

Posted: April 20 2001, 05:36

I hope this will happen!!! I can't nearly wait for it.... But I will. And I think this would be a great opurtunity to back to Virgin. I love this idea!

--------------
Kjell at oldfield.no
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: April 20 2001, 12:47

"I think this would be a great opurtunity to back to Virgin. I love this idea!"

What do you say, my friend!!!!????????
NOOO PLEASE, all but Virgin!!!!!!!!!
ex member 337 Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 20 2001, 13:43

I hate to criticise Mike but it seems to me that he is continually cashing in on Tubular bells, This maybe his idea or it might be that the record company are pushing him to do it.
I agree with the above comment that 'Tubular bells' really should not be messed with.
I wonder what the Mike of the Ommadawn era would have had to say about this.
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: April 20 2001, 14:19

This is really somthing to wait for.

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 20 2001, 15:59

I wonder whether, if in 1974, Mike had said he was going to record Tubular Bells another time, whether fans would have been quite so excited about it wink.

As for replacing the organ parts with an orchestra...I always thought the organ parts were one of the best bits - all those odd wheezey sounds that made an eerie backdrop for the rest of the instruments...

After a lengthy debate in the chat room, it has been decided that the best course of action is to re-live 1973...It'll be so much better with modern technology...
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 20 2001, 16:45

For people who plan to listen to this, it's BBC Radio 2 not the BBC2 Television channel.

I believe that it's available on some satellites, and via their website as streaming RealAudio.

I'll be taping it and may be able to supply a lo-fi MP3 to anyone who is interested. This would be purely for personal use, etc. Contact me on private e-mail.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: April 21 2001, 01:14

i dont know... i have mixed emotions about this. on one hand mike has done some great things with TB... like the wembley concert where he really kicked some ass... and a remake does have the potential to be very very good if done right.

however... mike has shown us in the past several years that he is getting more simple and more simple... and this is not good! he followed the album almost to the letter when he played in Berlin... if i wanted the album version id go home and play the album... not go to a concert for it!! simplicity is good... but overkill is just that... overkill! and i feel along with many friends over here in the states who like mike to some degree... that he is cashing WAY TO MUCH in on TB. he needs to give it a rest for once!!! this continual TB marathon has givin him a bad rap in the states as being only capable of continually remaking one great album over and over again.

personally i think he should have left that "four sided box" as he called it... alone after TB2. yes i like TB3 and TMB... however they were not really bell albums and there for should not have been called as such... imho! he is beginnging to disappoint me with this TB overdrive overkill!!!

mike if you are listening... get back to some good pop stuff like in the early 80's... MS... FMO... SOTW... and leave the 25 minute segments alone for a while. unless you are gonna make some beatiful segments like mt st michel. that was very good stuff... very diverse!! try the sarah brightman approach... cross it all together with some 2000 pop feel. just keep it sounding like mike. make something OTHER THAN a TB album!!! and without coming back to TB for a good long while!!

sorry everyone... but i am quite skeptical about anymore TB of anykind... remake or otherwise!!!

just my thoughts on the matter

take care :-)

christopher
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: April 21 2001, 08:57

biggrin

Good on ya Mat, I'm going to try and listen to the program on the net, but time difference may prove difficult wink.

Back to the topic of discussion, after a long "conversation" with Korgscrew a few days ago about this (and Bonnie the Blue Peter dog's passing), I'm still not really enthusiastic about this. All we really get from Mike is Tubular Bells- TB, Boxed, Exposed, HDCD, 25thAnniversary, SACD, plus TB2 and TB3. A re-recording of TB would just reinforce the view amongst some people that Mike only sells records when they are (called) Tubular Bells, and that, as Korgscrew said, he's run out of new ideas.

Maybe it would be good, but we'd have heard it all before, it would just sound a little more in tune in parts. We also have to ask the question of whether Mike is up to another Piltdown session, or whether he'll leave the vocals out all together, or whether he'll sample them.

Also, which Hornpipe (drunk or not) would be used, would the aeroplane be on the end, and will Mike use "guitars-sounding-like-bagpipes"?

Plus many other questions of a slightly more important nature that others can ask.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Ludor Tudor Offline

Posted: April 23 2001, 04:16

Tubular_Bells:
The reason I hope Mike will join Virgin again is simply because Warner Music Norway never promote him. They say that he dosn't reach out to the peapole they want to reach to! I know that Virgin anyway used to promote him, and I think they would again! I could go for V2 as well, since I think Mike and Branson belong to eachother. But V2 dosn't seem to have any norwegian office, (I couldn't manage to find anyone) and that could be a problem when it comes to promotion. So now you know why I would like to see this happen. I do not like Warner! And yes - I know - Warner got controll over EMI, and EMI got controll over Virgin, but they are still working as a single company...

--------------
Kjell at oldfield.no
Profile PM WEB 
Ludor Tudor Offline

Posted: April 23 2001, 04:38

By the way; Just went trough www.warnermusic.co.uk And looked through every single company... wea, atlantic, electra, london records, and eaven Warner/Chappel! And not a single of these sites got Mike as a featured artist! This I think shows why Warner sucks!!!

--------------
Kjell at oldfield.no
Profile PM WEB 
dgcaer Offline

Posted: April 23 2001, 12:51

I'm excited by the idea of the rerecording of Tubular Bells. However, I hope it's the last time he use TB.

If he had another idea like that, why not rerecord Hergest Ridge too (as he want it was in 1974) or publish the Orchestral Hergest Ridge ? smile

The use of TB will be enough with the rerecording in 2003.
What do you think about that ?
Profile PM WEB 
26 replies since April 19 2001, 11:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net