[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Re-recording of Tubular Bells done, 5.1 mix< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 04 2003, 12:44

From mikeoldfield.com:

Tubular Bells is finished and delivered to Warner Music who are very happy with it, they described the sound as amazing.

We are updating the studio to 5.1 format and I will start the 5.1 mix this week

Mike
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2003, 12:45

Sorry for the delay in posting this news. I was moving to a brand new apartement. And guess what, we were planning to get a 5.1 sound system. Not joking. Now, who are we, is Mike working with an engineer? He says he will be working on the mix, so it might just be some technicians.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 04 2003, 13:37

Does this mean there will be two seperate releases of TB? One surround sound and the other one not? Sounds confusing.

Ahhhh I know what he's planning, the surround sound version will come with a second CD which will include TubularWorld MVR and the demo recordings of the original album.

I WISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps I should think Warner Music were very happy with it. I bet they were laughing all the way to the bank.
Sorry thats very cynical of me ;)
Profile PM 
Melomaniac
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 04 2003, 13:59

Sorry for my ignorance about new technologies but, 5.1 format is not closely connected with DVD? Does it mean there will be a DVD or 5.1 format is today used to issue only music as well?
Mige Iranzo Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2003, 14:02

I think it will be like David Bowie's 'heathen'. I mean, first it will be the "ordinary release" and a month or two later the SACD (or DVD-A, I don't know what system is supporting Warner).

I hope the demo versions and the Tubular World will be JUST online (in a convenient designed website, of course...)

--------------
ßøîñG ßøøM T§¢Hãk
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2003, 14:34

really confused... the same as melomaniac i don't have a clear idea of what 5.1 format is... could anyone explain that please?

and for tubular world vr what i have thought is that it would be a different project, more an expanding of mvr than something related to tubular bells... am i wrong? anyone knows something about this?

thanks in advance
:)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Henrik Hoffsten
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 04 2003, 15:40

Great! Now we can start the countdown! It will realy be great to hear the new Tubular Bells  :)
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2003, 16:38

I know he seriously talked about releasing the TB demo's at some point but as is everthing with Mike I'll believe it when I see it.
I've never listend to a surround sound album on a DVD player/amplifier setup, is it any good?
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2003, 17:02

5.1 in shortly

You have 5 speakers and one subwoofer. All five speakers has its own channel. That means that different sounds comes out from every single speaker. Its like stereo but with five speakers. Hard to explain. Tubular Bells SACD is the same. It has five channels. But as you certain have guessed already you need specific equipment to listen to it in 5.1 sound.

I hope I got it a little more clear for you guys :)

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2003, 17:32

thanks a lot thomas :)
i've just been reading the extra booklet in my sacd tb... u explained it clearly. in the booklet there's a scheme of the 5.1 format... as u said five speakers: centre, right, left (the stereo format) increased in the multichannel with two more right and left surround situated at 110° from the centre... and in the sacd layer it's also possible to place extra data...  
now i understand everything ... i haven't read that booklet before... sorry for a maybe silly question
and thanks again :)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
James
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 04 2003, 18:04

Yesssss !!!!!!!!!!Go on Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2003, 20:04

Having read that it's finished I'm suddenly feeling very excited about this! I've got a real positive feeling and I just know Mike won't let us down. Amazing they say! And maybe, just maybe, Mike might do another album in the long instrumental style? I can but wish!!!

Ollie

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2003, 20:07

Good news! Let's hope that Warner are not just blowing hot air and will do an amazing promotion for an amazing sound! An up-to-date TB for a new generation!

I too wonder how the Tubular World will be released. Hopefully it will come free with the CD and also be available on the Net (here's dreaming!!!;). :zzz:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2003, 03:39

Yes! Now we have to wait until May 25 to hear it: that's nearly 4 months away!  :/  Yes, I am very excited about the new TB, and very interested to hear what it sounds like.

On the note of the 5.1 surround mix, if you do not have a 5.1 system, surely it will just play out of the two normal speakers? If is does not increase cost too much, wouldn't it be better to realease it all in 5.1, rather than a normal and a 5.1 release? Or am a missing something? This is just a quiery, I do have surround sound (Yaay, I love it! :) )

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2003, 04:47

Hmm...may I just ask, out of curiosity and without wanting to upset/annoy anyone, has any mention been made of any other musicians/producers/tea ladies working/helping with the re-recording of Tubular Bells? I don't remember Mike dropping any names, although I may have missed it during the few months I spent away from here. But I do hope that Mike has not re-recorded everything himself - not because I doubt his prowess at it, but because there are parts on the original that required other musicians (such as the drums, as others have mentioned), and I'd hope that Mike brought an actual drummer in rather than used a machine. And any mention of the orchestra/strings group Mike was on about using?

I hope it's just paranoia.

Any bets on the new Tubular Bells being released in Australia before Tres Lunas?
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2003, 04:52

It's possible for a decoder to downmix the 5.1 channel (and just as a little addition to the information, the subwoofer has its own reduced bandwidth channel, the Low Frequency Effects channel - that's the .1 part) signal to stereo, but there's not the same control over the results (from the mix engineer's point of view) as there is with doing a dedicated stereo mix.

Another reason for releasing a stereo version as well is that a 5.1 mix can't be put on a conventional audio CD. DVD A and SACD (as already mentioned) are the two formats currently being used for music in 5.1 surround.
Advantages of those two formats is they'll allow the album to be heard at its full 24 bit quality, rather than downsampled to 16 bit - for an album like this one, it's well worth it.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2003, 13:21

I thought Mike recently said he didn't like surround sound?? Or am I mistaking? Anyway, a "new" album is on the way. It has been very quit.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2003, 13:23

From what we can gather from those recent interviews it does  sound to me like Mike is working alone on this project, at least as far as production is concerned. But then again we do really know very little about it at this stage so we'll just have to wait and see, hopefully we'll get some more info soon.
Profile PM 
Mige Iranzo Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2003, 13:35

"I'm not even very impressed with THX sound and surround sound and all that - it doesn't really do much for me. I think it's psychological because as animals we're always focused to the front, and if something is behind you, you instantly turn, it's sort of danger awareness. It's disturbing to have music from behind because you always want to turn around and face it."

http://tubular.net/articles/02_11.shtml

¬_¬

--------------
ßøîñG ßøøM T§¢Hãk
Profile PM WEB 
Melomaniac Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2003, 13:59

When are we going to learn that Mike usually does the opposite he said in his last interviews?
Profile PM 
37 replies since Feb. 04 2003, 12:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net