Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Plus...Tubular Bells! -StrumDynasty New Cover< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
StrumDynasty Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 24 2015, 16:01

Hello! My name is Sean. I go by StrumDynasty.

This is my cover of the finale part of Tubular Bells. I used a mix of hand-played tracks, electronic keyboards, and sampled pitched-controlled audio (for the glockenspiel).

I am a guitar player primarily, and I like use my software to cover Mike Oldfield frequently.

Let me know what you think of this track. Thanks for listening (:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciSjqAvgYfc

Download or stream on Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/umbrellafella/plus-tubular-bells
Profile PM 
Tubular Val Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2015, 19:18

Hi, Sean:

I've just read your posts about being banned at MO's Facebook pages and after a cursory search I found this previous post of yours.

First of all, thanks for sharing your cover track with us, I've listened to it several times and I like it a lot so I'm including it in the "Fan" section of my (strictly private, not to be sold or shared) compilation of favourite MO's music (~8 Gb so far). A couple' comments:

1) The sound and play are overall very good except for the tubular bells themselves, which sound too low-key and muffled to me. Raising the key for a vibrant, sharper, crystal-clear sound would help. All the preceding instruments are introduced precisely in order to highlight the tubular bells at the end so the bells being so dull and low-key is a downer.

2) The sound volume goes extremely low from 3:23 onwards, many decibels below the part from 0:00 to 3:22. I know that's a quiet part just before the very end of Tubular Bells Side One but the original is not that low-volume at all, it gets nearly inaudible next to the rest.

Should you consider the above and make a new version to share, please tell and I'll include that one instead in my compilation.

Thanks again and regards.
TV.
Profile PM 
StrumDynasty Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2015, 18:24

Quote (Tubular Val @ Dec. 03 2015, 19:18)
Hi, Sean:

I've just read your posts about being banned at MO's Facebook pages and after a cursory search I found this previous post of yours.

First of all, thanks for sharing your cover track with us, I've listened to it several times and I like it a lot so I'm including it in the "Fan" section of my (strictly private, not to be sold or shared) compilation of favourite MO's music (~8 Gb so far). A couple' comments:

1) The sound and play are overall very good except for the tubular bells themselves, which sound too low-key and muffled to me. Raising the key for a vibrant, sharper, crystal-clear sound would help. All the preceding instruments are introduced precisely in order to highlight the tubular bells at the end so the bells being so dull and low-key is a downer.

2) The sound volume goes extremely low from 3:23 onwards, many decibels below the part from 0:00 to 3:22. I know that's a quiet part just before the very end of Tubular Bells Side One but the original is not that low-volume at all, it gets nearly inaudible next to the rest.

Should you consider the above and make a new version to share, please tell and I'll include that one instead in my compilation.

Thanks again and regards.
TV.

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was hoping someone on planet earth would notice it eventually lol. (:
I have always noticed that the ending gets very quiet. This was due to mixing software limitations. Basically, there were three guitar tracks, one track with the bells, and one track with everything else. I set the main track to fade out and the guitar tracks to keep going. Generally, I don't like to artificially increase volume within a single song track because it can take a toll on quality. I previously thought that I wouldn't be able to do anything about the tubular bells themselves because they were recorded through a microphone, from a tubular bells app (classy, I know). But, now that you mentioned all that, I may be able to mix all the original tracks in Audacity, which would allow me to both EQ the bells the best I can and increase the volume of the guitars while making sure the peaks don't go past 0 db. I'd been meaning to turn the volume of those bells down anyway. I may do all that stuff actually. But it may not be too soon because I am working on other things at present, including an album. Thanks for pointing that out (: I've uploaded more music to Youtube recently, most of it Doctor Who related.
Have a great day (: By the way, what part of the world are you from?
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2015, 08:34

This has been viewed 115 times so people do notice, but don't always comment anything.

Your posting is not in vain.  :)

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
3 replies since Aug. 24 2015, 16:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net