Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum Collection< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 11:09

The above link is bad, and has doubled http's in front of it. I tried to fix it, but even then it didn't work.

I went straight to Amazon.co.uk's page about the album, and while it has one review, it does not have an image.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 12:11

sorry about the link... but the cover is definitely there.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec....4800636

(hope this link works!;)
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 12:33

Another compu-complo--umm, best of album. That's no good for me, nope I can't go for that no can do. This is music that is on other albums and when it's chopped up like that it completely looses its meaning. There's already been Elements, the best of Tubular Bells, exposed, and boxed, so why another one of these things? Cutting up these masterpieces completely is absurd. Just like cutting to the end of a movie because its the best part and then putting other parts of other movies with it. I'll never understand these recording companies, and to top it off it has a tubular bell for the cover. Wtf, dude. It's not all Tubular Bells, so why does it have that cover? It sounds like the greedy record company thinks that anything with a tubular bell on the cover will sell regardless of the content.  :(

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
afghan Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 13:00

have to agree with some of that ,would of been better if there had been some ,no a lot of live versions and some rare unheard demo cuts maybe .How many compos can you make of mikes music,it does get abit repetative.still in saying that my copy is ordered :p

--------------
may you never run aground or fall into the deep deep sound
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 13:20

The classic TB image was Mike's choice.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 13:31

Where did you find out that, Tati?

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 14:15

Complations like this is to be ignored. They're not aimed at us fans, but it sure gets the infamous "bells" logo back on the Cd rack of your local gas station.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 15:57

The only bad thing is that it has some 12" mixes that would fit on one half-priced CD. But then, I don't have them. Am I ready to pay for them again? Hell no! Do I want to have them? Hell yes! If only iTunes was available in Poland I'd simply download them -- I'm about to print my own sleeves for my own boxed set and use the new tracks anyway. But it isn't. So I'm stuck with a dilemma -- either I download them illegally, or I'm buying the entire pointless box. :/ I also think it devalues the name "Mike Oldfield" and the TB logo -- it's like "oh no, THAT again".

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 16:05

I just can't believe this is going to be the cover. For Moz's sake, that's the very same sleeve as TB2003+II+III! Surely there's SOMETHING else that could have been used! At least the background could be changed!

Does Mike have ANYTHING in common with this? If yes... well, let's say I hope to get 'no' as an answer.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 16:56

Quote (Navaira @ Feb. 21 2006, 15:57)
I also think it devalues the name "Mike Oldfield" and the TB logo -- it's like "oh no, THAT again".

Yes it devalues the name, but what more damage could be done after "The best of tubular bells"? As if it was some kind of series of easy listening albums!

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 18:40

Groundhog Day?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2006, 12:58

Tati's right, I've read elsewhere that Virgin claimed that that was indeed the cover Mike wanted. We can only assume he wants to actively demolish any remaining artistic meaningfulness and/or dignity, talk about flogging a dead horse!
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2006, 13:42

Hmm... bit painful to read all this.  :/

That's because I feel bad about agreeing with a lot of the posted sentiments here  :/

Still, it's not all bad this compilation...
Going to be hearing the long versions of Flying Start and Time has Come soon  :) .

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2006, 16:19

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Feb. 22 2006, 13:42)
Going to be hearing the long versions of Flying Start and Time has Come soon  :) .

Two times the pain!
But I want to hear the long version of Incantations. Or the extended Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

Lars T

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2006, 16:24

Well ... if you were going to put together what you thought was some kind of definitive compilation of Mike's stuff together, mainly for people who aren't committed devotees, then - given what it is - wouldn't you put the TB symbol on it? I think I would.

Speaking purely personally, I like the constancy of the tubular bell symbol in its various guises, so it doesn't bother me.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2006, 18:02

Yeah. I think some people might have a lot of problems with the bell image being used to sell records - but other than doing that, i.e. being part of the artwork attached to the music within, what other function does it serve?

I know as musical completeists we would probably prefer to see only music we consider to be 'bell' albums having that image, but as also been said, it's a very well known image that people immediately associate with Mike. From a newbie point of view, this could give a great introduction - i.e. "Wow... he did something more than that bit on the film!"
Some may have bought the vynil record ages ago, when it was first about and were surprised to see that he's produced anything since.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Feb. 22 2006, 19:49

Quote (arron11196 @ Feb. 23 2006, 00:02)
Yeah. I think some people might have a lot of problems with the bell image being used to sell records

maybe im one of them..
Im just afriad that people out there will be very confused about the bell.
You know..
What in hell is the bell?  :p

If there is so many albums with bells they loose control and really dont know what the bell is. They just think its a picture mike use on all his albums. That was my first thought when i looked for mike in the cd shop.
The another boring thing with this bell and artwork is that this cd looks 90% like The complete Tubular bells (4 cd)..

maybe the bell should be something else..

what about red?
or green??
or blue??

or maybe he should do like michael jackson.
Make it possible to buy them in all different colours  ;)
That would not confuse, no not at all.. he he

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 04:12

Quote (Tubularman @ Feb. 23 2006, 00:49)
If there is so many albums with bells they loose control and really dont know what the bell is.

I have this picture of a record shop with deranged customers rushing about with a clutch of 'bell' CDs in their hands, screaming at the shop assistants in outraged confusion.
"Is this the Original Bell?"
"No, you idiot! That's the remake of the original remade original remake!! Don't you know anything?"
"Is this the Tubular Bells On Ice Pantomime version?"
"Help me! I can't find the Ommahergest Incanplatinum Bell!"
"It's the one with the silver bell on the grey background."
"But there are 74 different CDs like that, all with different shades of grey!"
"Yes, but this one is easy to spot because it's the 32nd lightest shade of grey."
[Lorry draws up outside shop]
"Hey look - the 8th remake of the original Tr3sMaestro Distant Bell has just arrived!"

[Stampede]
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 04:58

Conclusive proof at last that someone still has a little bit of humour left in them :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 05:18

Quote (Alan D @ Feb. 23 2006, 10:12)
Quote (Tubularman @ Feb. 23 2006, 00:49)
If there is so many albums with bells they loose control and really dont know what the bell is.

I have this picture of a record shop with deranged customers rushing about with a clutch of 'bell' CDs in their hands, screaming at the shop assistants in outraged confusion.
"Is this the Original Bell?"
"No, you idiot! That's the remake of the original remade original remake!! Don't you know anything?"
"Is this the Tubular Bells On Ice Pantomime version?"
"Help me! I can't find the Ommahergest Incanplatinum Bell!"
"It's the one with the silver bell on the grey background."
"But there are 74 different CDs like that, all with different shades of grey!"
"Yes, but this one is easy to spot because it's the 32nd lightest shade of grey."
[Lorry draws up outside shop]
"Hey look - the 8th remake of the original Tr3sMaestro Distant Bell has just arrived!"

[Stampede]

ha ha ha..
i think i was something like that in the beginning  :laugh:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
132 replies since Jan. 11 2006, 18:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net