Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: PLAN 1 studio in Munich for next album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 06 2002, 09:32

According to PLAN 1 (info available in the news section), Mike chose the high-tech PLAN 1 studios in Munich to do some work in December for his new album and his MVR project. (Thanks, Oldfield.de)
Profile PM 
Sephirot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 06 2002, 21:00

YES YES YES YES!!!!

Finally!!! Our man is doing great! So we our hopes are up far above the clouds again smile Go on Sir Mike!!! But hurry we cant wait much longer ! smile

--------------
Lost in Static 18...
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 07 2002, 20:31

Yeah! a new album!!!
theweightless Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2002, 00:20

when when when is the album coming!

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2002, 03:14

Music VR is rumoured for release this year. His next album release (at least, one unrelated to Music VR) ought to be in 2003...and we all know what that will be...

Mike works on things all the time. The end of last year seemed quiet to fans, because little news was released, which led some people to believe that Mike's career was somehow on hold...That's a bit like thinking that Mike doesn't exist any more because nobody's told you they've seen him today (there is a kind of logic to that...). Mike is the type who's full of ideas and is always coming up with something or trying something out, probably even when he's supposed to be resting.

I personally hope, with any releases of Mike's, that they're not done quickly because the fans are getting bored of waiting or because someone wants to make a bit of money quickly, but that they're released when they're actually ready.
Profile PM 
Ludor Tudor Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2002, 04:04

YES! Let's just hope that it won't take to long before it's released! I've been waiting since 1999....

--------------
Kjell at oldfield.no
Why don't you have a try to win at the competition?
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2002, 04:52

No need for me to post here, really, because it's already been said.

Hear hear, Korgscrew.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2002, 01:13

Great News! Looking forward to he next album's release.

BTW, Korgscrew, you said that in 2003 Mike would release another album and you said ..'we all know what that will be' - actually i'm quite in the dark about this! Can you enlighten me? Surely not another TB album!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2002, 01:26

Yes, I'm not Korgscrew, but I'll do the enlightening anyway. Unfortunately, timshen, it will be another TB release in 2003.

In fact, it will be TB.

Mike's going to re-record Tubular Bells in 2003 how he wanted it to be in 1973 (30th Anniversary).

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2002, 10:07

The thing is,just what was he upto in this studio,we all know how hi-tech Mike's own studio is,so,why would he need to go else where,what is it that he can't do in his own studio?
Profile PM 
merlin2k1 Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2002, 15:47

I bet the word "Bells" is in the title. . .

--------------
Bruce
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2002, 04:05

Mike spends an awful lot of his time in his own studio - he may simply have gone somewhere else for a change of scene. He might also have gone there to work with somebody who couldn't make it to the UK at the time.
He'd been looking at other places in Munich as well, which seems to suggest that it's something to do with the place.

One reason he's gone to outside studios previously is to record orchestras, as there's not been enough space in his own studios to fit one in (he did manage a small ensemble on Incantations, though).
Profile PM 
alexander.schweigert Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2002, 07:41

Hi all,
the Plan1 Oldfield News are available in English now.

Alex

--------------
www.oldfield.de
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2002, 12:07

YAY!!!!!!!!! smile

Mike MIke Mike you ol dog... keeping secrets from us about an album are ya smile I am very curious to see what you are gonna put out this time... maybe somemore techno music or some totally new direction!? Whatever it is I'm sure it will be good!!

JUST PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T LET IT BE ANOTHER "BELLS" ALBUM WHATEVER YOU DO!!!!!!!!! LET IT GO MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!

Christopher
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2002, 17:33

I don't think there will be a new bell-album considering mike's statement after the TB||| album. "I think I got bored with bells" or something like that he said. Not to mention this. "I don't think I ever will release a new album again that has the name bell written on it."

So its defenetly not a new bell-album.

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2002, 18:02

I'm not sure if subtle sarcasm is washing over my head here or not...

Mike did say that there would be no more albums with bells in the title. He then went and released 'The Millennium Bell'.
On two separate occasions in 2001, Mike stated that he would be re-recording Tubular Bells for release in 2003 - that's as much as we have to go on at the moment, really.

Mike is quite famous for changing his mind, quite dramatically at times (which is why I wonder if me making this post indicates a broken sarcasm detector). He spoke out against the use of computers in music at around the time of the recording of Amarok, only to swing round 180 degrees and release albums like The Songs of Distant Earth and Tubular Bells III which relied heavily on computer technology.

As I heard it last, the next Mike Oldfield CD will be based on music from Music VR. We'll just have to wait and see if this is so...
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2002, 06:35

But if the new album is the music from MusicVR,then surely all that music must already have been written and recorded,so,why would he need to goto Munich?
the great Mike Oldfield mystery?
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2002, 09:57

The new album will be 'based' on the MusicVR music. That means that Mike has had to redo the musical ideas and snippets he had for MusicVR in a form that will be more 'fluid' for an album.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2002, 13:48

A mistake in my last post. It was after the relase of The Millennium Bell Mike said that i wrote earlier. And I think he ment any "NEW" album. I don't think he counted rerelases in that statement. Couse even he had to know that there would be plenty of rereleases of his old TB-album. And there also was "The best of Tubular Bells" not so long ago.

I think he acctually ment that there will never be a Tubular Bells 4 and 5 and so on.

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2002, 17:41

The new album thing...I may have caused confusion here - I believe that the new album which Plan 1 refer to is not anything to do with Music VR, but rather whatever may be released after that, which may or may not be a lavish reincarnation of his 1973 masterwork created using the latest digital technology and featuring a string ensemble...

I do also think that timshen is right about tracks from Music VR being worked on in order to create something which flows properly as an album...Mike did start compiling all the parts into album form quite a while ago. I would imagine that there are still parts which Mike would like to polish off, and maybe bits that he feels need that touch of something different, which he hopes to get by going to an outside studio.

I guess Mike's statement about Tubular Bells albums can be interpreted in a number of ways...
I'm also sure that he wasn't referring to any re-releases of the existing bells albums on different formats, etc. He meant that he'd not work on any new ones...and here comes the question...does re-recording Tubular Bells count as working on another bells album or not? It kind of isn't - it's not new music, after all...but it will be a new piece of work, and something quite separate from the original 1973 release (unlike a remaster or remix, which no matter how different it turns out, is still the same recording underneath).

He did say that The Millennium Bell would be the last bells album, but I believe he also said that about Tubular Bells III...

So anyway, for the sake of this dicussion, I guess it really depends whether Tubular Bells 1 Mk II counts as a new album or not - if he meant that he'd never commit a single note to tape in the name of bells ever again then it seems he's changed his mind. If he meant that he'd never compose a new album with a bell related name, then he's sticking to his word...

Doesn't really matter either way - he's doing what he's doing, and we'll hear it when it's ready. What we decide to think of it is up to us...
Profile PM 
33 replies since Jan. 06 2002, 09:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net