Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Phil Spalding on Mike's influence and Crises< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 14 2014, 18:46

Phil Spalding has published a detailed article about the recording of Crises and Moonlight Shadow in which he played bass, and the influence Mike had on him.
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 15 2014, 17:20

What a wonderful article and insight into the recording of one of my favorite albums.  Thank you for sharing Phil.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2014, 05:42

And thanks, Olivier, for the link as well.  Parts of Crises are an assault on the senses - seems like it must have affected the sense of smell as well... Naughty boys!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2014, 15:30

I love Phil Spalding's honesty. You can tell he is not seeing the past with rose tinted glasses.
I find it especially interesting that he mentions that Mike insisted in fewer takes than the musicians involved would have liked, prefering spontaneous verions of the tracks. I think that shows on the albums. Lots of little odd things left in which are propably mistake or indecisions from the players involved.
On QE2 he had a producer and you can spot the difference.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Jools Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2014, 15:42

Great article. Phil has some really complimentary things to say about Mike - it's quite touching and so nice to hear such a genuine and honest appraisal.

Didn't Mike say that "Moonshine" from MOTR was inspired by  time spent with Phil, sipping whiskey from a hip-flask on the west coast of Ireland? Seems they spent some memorable times in each other's company.
Profile PM 
4 replies since Oct. 14 2014, 18:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net