Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ozvailability< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TimHighfield Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 29 2001, 07:13

G'day everyone. (There goes my attempt of not posting to this section to spite ChiRho wink)

According to some Australian music stores' websites (e.g. Sanity), The Best of Tubular Bells was released just under a week ago here in Oz (coincidentally, the same day that the Berlin 2K DVD was released smile). Since I haven't been to any music stores for a while, I haven't actually seen it/bought it/listened to it...but I'll probably buy it (after various other items on my shopping list, including the Berlin 2K DVD), and it's over half the price of the Elements video (note that the store stocking Elements video does not (according to website) stock TBOTB or Berlin 2K DVD).

Possibly to be continued...

-Tim-

P.S. The people at Sanity (mentioned above) have placed TBOTB in the World Music Genre rolleyes.
Profile PM WEB 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2001, 12:16

As always, record stores show there complete lack of taste...

Incidentally, I wouldn't bother with "The Best Of Tubular Bells". It's just the same old same old. Most of it comes from the first one (huh? why derive mostly from the worst one..."Tubular Bells II & III" were superior to the original in every way, and their are loads of demo and B side recordings that could be unearthed, but no...). There are no rarities here at all. If you already own the four Bell albums, "Exposed" and "The Millennium Bell" (which shouldn't be included here since it's not a real Bell album...) then this is a complete waste of money.

If I was designing a best of Bells album, this is what I would put:

Tubular Bells Opening Theme (from TB 1)
The Bell (from TB 2)
Man In The Rain (from TB3)
Top Of The Morning (from TB3)
Hornpipe/Guilty Remix (from Exposed)
Outcast (Live)
Serpent Dream (Live)
Tattoo (Live)
Sentinel: Early Stages
Duo Sarne's Guitar Tubular Bells (excerpt)
Tubular X
Orchestral Tubular Bells (Altered State bit)
Secrets/Far Above The Clouds (Live)

Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 08 2001, 18:47

And if you were Virgin records, you would pay massive licensing fees (mostly to Warner records) on all but three of the tracks wink

As for record stores and taste...like with the TBOTB tracklisting, it's driven by money. Just like you'll probably make a higher turnover by opening a McDonalds franchise than you will by opening a snackbar selling hand prepared food made from high quality ingredients...Sad state the world is in, perhaps.
Profile PM 
ChiRho Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2001, 18:17

I have done my own Essential Tubular Bells compilation. It has bits from all 3 (I don't have TMB), and not just the obvious themes (opening and finale pt.1 themes), also stuff like Serpent Dream and Dark Star. That would have been a better idea for a compilation. (In fact, they could have asked us here, and we'd have probably told them the same thing). I see that Virgin would have ended up paying massive fees to WEA, but that's life. You want a good compilation, you have to go the extra 805 meters to do that.

--------------
<P>Mr. ChiRho
Email to chirho@mine.nu.almost (guess what drops)
Visit ChiRho Network Central [URL=http://www.chirho.i12.com/]http://www.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Check the forums (topic suggestions still welcome[URL=http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/]http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 11 2001, 20:13

But they don't want a good compilation - they want money wink

(There's an argument against that being the best way of getting money in the long term, but I'll leave that to someone else).
Profile PM 
mdenari Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2002, 11:48

I think the money issue is true, however, its not the first time that someone has its first "contact" with a musician through a "compilation" and then gets hooked and buys everithing else. Leaving the money aside, if a compilation is good to bring more people to listen to mike's music, then so be it.
Profile PM 
5 replies since July 29 2001, 07:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net