Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: On My Heart in The No 1 Classical Album 2008< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 03 2007, 05:37

I've just seen this:
http://p200server.us.es/mikeoldfield/verfoto.asp?id=6889

Sounds nice!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Dec. 03 2007, 06:18

Excellent! Looks like it is available in the uk from Amazon  (and presumably in the shops) as well!

Thats one of my Xmas presents sorted out then
;)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2007, 17:36

That's tempting, would it be cheating to listen to that officially released track before I've heard the Music of the Spheres? I am wrestling with my conscience!

But I'm rather taken with the tee shirts they have available on that site, wish I spoke Spanish, it's taking forever to translate it with my Colllins Gem Spanish Dictionary. Wonder if there are any English equivalents?

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2007, 18:59

That's a funny credit indeed... "Mike Oldfield - On My Heart". Mike does almost nothing on that track - it's Hayley Westenra + choir + harp + orchestra. Mike plays only a tiny bit on classical guitar at the end. :D It's like in the Eighties, when, lo and behold, "Mike Oldfield" sang "Moonlight Shadow" with a woman's voice. :laugh:

However, I think I'll wait for when MotS comes out in March (?), rather than waste my money on a collection of soapy classical ultra-well-known pieces that I've already got in various versions... just to get that one song. :p

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2007, 20:21

So,here it is - it's an album to download online:

http://www.classicsandjazz.co.uk/tssite....1923939

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Mark Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2007, 13:36

Quote (Ugo @ Dec. 03 2007, 18:59)
That's a funny credit indeed... "Mike Oldfield - On My Heart". Mike does almost nothing on that track - it's Hayley Westenra + choir + harp + orchestra. Mike plays only a tiny bit on classical guitar at the end. :D It's like in the Eighties, when, lo and behold, "Mike Oldfield" sang "Moonlight Shadow" with a woman's voice. :laugh:

I've seen this kind of nonsense before, and while it's true that a woman sang Moonlight Shadow, I think you might find that the guitar and writing and the original idea behind the song was down to Mike Oldfield, so I think it's fair to credit him.
Handel doesn't play a great deal these days, but when you hear the Water Music you would still credit him as the composer and brains behind it.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2007, 20:02

@ Mark, about credits: I don't know whether this is limited to Italy or not, but when someone writes a song's title in the usual format, i.e. [Artist name] [Hyphen] [Song title], what's before the hyphen is usually perceived as referring to the person (or the people) who sang the song (or performed it, if it's an instrumental) , not as referring to the person (or the people) who wrote it. Pop/rock song credits, at least as far as I know, have always credited writers' names between brackets (like this), not in the format above. So, IMHO, the most correct credit for "On My Heart" should be "Mike Oldfield featuring Hayley Westenra", just like the credit for "Moonlight Shadow" should have been "Mike Oldfield featuring Maggie Reilly".

I think it's useless comparing all of this to classical music. What I'm talking about is the (sometimes) implicit silliness in pop/rock songs' credits. :) And, with all due respect to Mike Oldfield, he's not (yet) Händel or Beethoven or Mozart or Verdi or whoever else. ;)

I also think that the "oh, but this is classical music written by Mike Oldfield and so it should be credited to Mike Oldfield and no one else" argument :D doesn't really work here, because we're talking about a compilation album where all of the other credits are in the usual Singer/Performer-Track title format, so why this one shouldn't be like the others?

--------------
Profile PM 
Mark Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2007, 03:56

By the same token you could say Mike Oldfield featuring the Drummer (sorry, don't know who it was).
I get what you're saying, but the fact is that it (Moonlight Shadow), was a work by Mike Oldfield, and Maggie Riley was just another (rather poor), instrument on the track.
I think I'm probably biased as far as that track goes though, because I always found her voice irritating, and I only ever really liked the guitar solo.
As far as On my Heart goes, I suppose I have to agree with your point about Mike having practically sod all to do with the track, but it was his idea.
It is so beautifully sung though and when I hear it the vocal gives me shivers.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2007, 05:39

I suspect it is just laziness when someone was putting the packaging together. It is fair (just) to call the full Music of the Spheres album an album by "Mike Oldfield" so they use the same name when extracting the track. However that track on its own is so dependent upon the vocal I agree with the people above who think it should be by "Mike Oldfield featuring Haley Westenra".

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2007, 05:41

A certain Mark Ronson would appear to be doing rather well for himself in the singles chart at the moment.Featuring a vocal performance from Amy Winehouse,singing a song that Ronson himself didn`t even write.At the end of the day Mike wrote the song and at some point in our future lives(although Lord knows when)It will appear on an album with Mike Oldfield`s name on the front of it.Having said that I don`t think there would have been any harm in putting Hayley`s name down there as well in some sort of "featuring" capacity.

I think it`s a good move by Univerasal actually,although I`m guessing that they probablly expected Mike`s album to be out at the same time as this one.Just hope that some people have got long memories I suppose.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2007, 07:40

Quote (Dirk Star @ Dec. 06 2007, 11:41)
A certain Mark Ronson would appear to be doing rather well for himself in the singles chart at the moment.Featuring a vocal performance from Amy Winehouse,singing a song that Ronson himself didn`t even write.

Yes, sure he is. But the single is credited as Mark Ronson featuring Amy Winehouse. :D AFAIK Ronson is a DJ/producer, all he did on that song is the production.

However, I agree with you about all this being a clever (?) marketing move by Universal. They evidently have some quite high hopes that, when MotS is finally released (when it is released!! :D), people will remember the voice they heard on the compilation album. "Long memory" indeed. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 06 2007, 17:34

Universal has included Mike Oldfield's On My Heart (buy mp3) from the forthcoming Music Of The Spheres album in the compilation The Number One Classical Album 2008.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2007, 18:21

Isn't this already 'old' news? :D

Nah, I'm joking. Thanks for the signalling, Olivier. I won't buy the mp3, though - I never do! :p

--------------
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2007, 20:54

Has anyone got the CD or downloaded the Mp3 and is it the same as the MOTS album track? I'd love to see "On My Heart" as a longer remixed single.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Dec. 06 2007, 21:58

Quote (timshen @ Dec. 07 2007, 02:54)
Has anyone got the CD or downloaded the Mp3 and is it the same as the MOTS album track? I'd love to see "On My Heart" as a longer remixed single.

same here, it is to short.
One of my friends loves Opera, so one day i burned MOTS on a disc for him, and played On my heart. He felt for it, but he think it is too short, and i must agree  :/  No harm feelings :D
He really loved it, but 2 min is too short...

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2007, 18:15

It's short because it's intended as just one part of a long suite, which is MotS part 1... i.e. tracks 1 to 7... ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
pantalaimon Offline

Posted: Dec. 20 2007, 05:37

Is no-one else depressed by the fact that MO is now included on a dodgy 'classical' compilation album featuring the likes of Kathryn Jenkins, Paul Potts, G4 etc? No harm to them, but they're hardly proper classical artists (record-company-manufactured attempts at classical artists, but not really the real thing). To see MO in this company only further diminishes his reputation as a serious musician.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2008, 06:46

I have purchased this CD and regretted it quite quickly. Apart from a couple of lovely vocal pieces (both featuring Hayley, surprise surprise! ) and some mediocre instrumentals it is all a bit "warbly" for me. Guess I just don't like operatic styles of vocals...

Inner sleeve notes have absolutely no mention of Hayley on when listing "On My Heart" which is I think very poor. There is also nothing to indicate that the rest of the album has little in common with this one extract  :/

--------------
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2008, 07:06

I wonder if it will be possible for the release of MOTs to be able to build up a Head of Steam now for the 2nd release Date..?? Its been Leaked to Hell.. I know of other people unrelated to this Website who have copies already.. Not sure if the people who buy Classic albums are a bit more Laid back and just buy as and when available ..Also not sure if all the pre Orders go onto the 1st week sales figures or what.. Wont be buying this Compilation though for 2 minutes of Music I may or may not Like... I still feel deflated about the release of this Album even though ive yet to hear it... Hopefully the hype will increase nearer the release date.. :/

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
17 replies since Dec. 06 2007, 17:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net