[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Official Tr3s Lunas website< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 21 2002, 13:52

On its promotion...

What they have to work on is getting it on everyone's lips. It's possible, with the internet, but not easy...
A possibility is something like viral marketing (I'm not talking computer visuses here). This involves something that people pass round - something silly, a joke or a little game, something that when people see it, they want to send it on to their friends, to say "Look at this...". That little something also has to have a little marketing element to it, something that will draw people to the Music VR site and ultimately get them talking not just about whatever silly promotional toy that's been sent around, but Music VR itself.
Something interesting might be something online that gives people a little flavour of the Music VR - some kind of relaxing flash 'toy' that people can play with while they're at work to unwind. Anything that builds up curiosity, really.

Games expos are expensive to attend, and I'm not sure they would ever make enough money back to justify them doing that.

I'm also not sure whether Music VR's biggest market would be with the readers of games magazines. Perhaps with general computer magazines, but I'd think they might be better targeting the general press - I'd have thought that Music VR is really something that's going to be best aimed at people who don't usually like computer games (because they have no desire to race, or to kill, or anything like that). Maybe market it at the type of people who mostly use their computer for business type work - "You always use your computer for stressful work...now you can use it to get away...". The trouble may be that people using their computers for that sort of thing may not have the graphics hardware necessary to make Music VR work.

With media advertising, I think they're probably relying on the record company taking care of that in promoting the album, and the album with its included demo acting as the promotional tool for Music VR. Anything else would mean Mike and his business paying out of their own money, and with the cost of some forms of advertising, that's probably something they're not willing - or maybe even able - to do.
Profile PM 
Tuga Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 21 2002, 15:47

the turtle island's guitar solo extract reminds me a little bit the guitar solo of the blue night song (earth moving album)
Profile PM 
Tuga Offline

Posted: May 21 2002, 15:57

daydream is a nice theme. mike tell his inspiration was the french composer erik satie (gymnopédies) On the rythm is true. maybe also on the chords, but unfortunely it reminds me (too) Enya.
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: May 21 2002, 16:27

we should all keep in mind that Tr3s Lunas shall only work on high specification PCs - Intel Pentium 3 processors are required to use it...I hope that people don't try to run the disc and get disappointed that it won't work...I think most people don't have a good enough machine to run Tr3s Lunas, which is a shame...but it is a great excuse to upgrade!

Oliver (feeling like a party pooper)

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: May 21 2002, 19:01

Well done for trying Thomas.Its an ignorant shame when some people cant see past their money making noses but this is a fact of life in the west (sigh)I recently cornered a geekess in charge of Technology at the BBC web section I asked her to visit Mikes site I also tried to get a review and or interview with Mike nothing has yet materialised.We should all try in our respective countries to help promote this great effort.Its always gonna be hard promoting something that goes against currenrt trends ie no shooting,killing etc.Mikes work is real art and very tasteful at that.Stand firm fellow fans and do your duty.
oblique Offline

Posted: May 21 2002, 21:29

And now I've just seen the 'To be free' video for the first time...

To be honest I expected more when I read about the latest computer enhancements being used.

It's not very exiting, so I don't realy think this will do much good for promotion. That is as far as MVR is concerned.
It'll do just fine for the music which isn't very exiting either.

All in all a missed chance I'd say.

Pretty girl though.....

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Dali Offline

Posted: May 22 2002, 06:32

Hi,

Does anyone know how to get the video on my screen? Both Windows Media and QuickTime don't work. Has someone downloaded them maybe, so I can get them from an FTP- or website?

Greetings, Dali
Profile PM WEB 
freshhh Offline

Posted: May 22 2002, 06:56

I've downloaded it already. URL:

http://66.34.53.4/tks/MO3L320.wmv - Windows Media Player file (6.6Mb)

QuickTime file (6.4Mb)I think it's broken now

Have a nice time!

--------------
We all live our Tubular Life...
And we don't know another way to live...
Profile PM 
Vladimir Offline

Posted: May 22 2002, 09:33

Very nice video smile
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: May 22 2002, 10:48

Il ove the video of 'To Be Free'! It's quite simple but the message comes across very well - I like the portrayal of the lady (very beautiful) moving from loneliness and depression to joy and ecstacy through some kind of spiritual encounter 'out of the blue'.

The first 'To be free' is done very well on the video with the camera going into the sink (something with water in it) and emerging into a fantasy world a la MVR! Wonderful.

Not boring at all...simple yes, but very arty and well put together IMHO!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: May 22 2002, 12:40

I´ve read all the opinions about the extracts of the "tres lunas" work that are being shown on its official website. I am not going to convince you of my point of view, so please don´t waste your time to do so with me...
I am waiting to hear the whole music before being taxative with my thoughts, but my preliminar opinion is that the album smells like a hell of bullshit. I´ve never heard something so horrible since heaven´s open, although the last had some good songs like no dream or HO. but I´ve heard no good music on these extracts. I really really hope to change my mind with the whole thing on my hands (and ears), but at this point I think that it sucks.
please do not try to blame at me, since this is only my opinion, and I understand that your opinion may be (and should be) different. Understand U too.
who knows? maybe I will find myself loving this album after all. but not before the whole thing released.

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 22 2002, 13:36

Yeah, To Be Free is a very beautiful videoclip, but somehow also a bit dissapointing. It's really intended for commercial purposes and (I think) promotion for Music VR, which is not bad but good! I hope I will see it a lot on the telly (I hope). Is the single already released? Haven't seen it in the stores (but never seen mike oldfield singles in dutch stores) frown

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Juan Luis Offline

Posted: May 22 2002, 15:25

The single were released last Monday but it is hard to get even here in Spain. It is very disapointing that the record label Warner Music Spain, do not distrubute enough the singles in the music stores and more disapointing here in Spain. Today I have gone to ask to a well-known music store in Barcelona and they have told me that they do not have it. The single/maxi section was full of people like Kyle Minogue, Chayanne or Marilyn Manson. mad The other sections were full people from Operación Triumfo :mad frownat the moment luckily only Spanish people know about them,... if you watch the Eurovision Contest you will meet them, because they represent Spain...sorry, out of topic). And was incredible, there were 5 or more records from Terry Oldfield. eek
Sometimes I do not understand record labels!
About the video, I think it is beauty, it express feelings but it is not amazing. One more video clip.
Profile PM 
Melomaniac Offline

Posted: May 22 2002, 16:36

I haven´t found so difficult to get the single here in Spain. I purchased it this morning at El Corte Inglés ( well known group of department stores all over Spain). Anyway, it´s not worth getting it: Mike´s single version of the simple and unsubstantial To Be Free (unlike most of Mike´s music, the more you listen to it, the less you like it), and over 25 minutes of unbearable mixes as the ones Wea has been releasing last years. I agree with Nabla about the point we are being too optimistic, we´ll have to listen to the whole album, ok, but ( without being so critical as Nabla), starting from the Tr3s Lunas samples we have listened to, I wouldn´t say it,s going to be exactly a master work.Only expressing my oppinion and hope to be mistaken.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 22 2002, 18:17

Well, watching the video clip more and more, I now really love To Be Free!

I really like the first part, were "To Be Free...!" is sung and we suddenly are in the water. Makes you all tingly inside wink

And best of all (we already saw it in the Let there be light videoclip) it has a dolphin in it!!!!! Weehee! smile

If Music VR was in the same graphic quality as in the videoclip, Mike had made a technological breakthrough! wink (oke, now it's impossible. The videoclip has pre-rendered graphics). But it's certainly is the most professional videoclip of Mike.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: May 22 2002, 19:47

Just saw the video of To Be Free. It's disappointing. The images are beautiful, but they don't fit the tone of the music. When I watched it, I felt like the music and images didn't go together at all.

The flythrough needed to be faster, and the video itself needed to be more dynamic (I'm thinking like the Heaven's Open video) so at least the tempo of the pictures would match the tempo of the music. I'm a bit let down by the video. It looks like the guy who directed it never listened to the single himself and as a result the video doesn't fit the music.

The parts that aren't chorus are just random shots of the singer who occasionally sings a word or two...and she doesn't even act like she needs to be free!

But I agree...pretty girl biggrin

So the music video isn't all that great...so what. I have the rest of the album and MVR itself to look forward to. Just from what I've heard and seen of those, I'm still holding my breath for them to come out!
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: May 23 2002, 03:53

Well,
If the video was there to give a feeling of what MusicVR is about, then I guess it's OK?
It has a pretty girl in seemingly unimportant
sequences, and then (I guess) enhanced
parts of MusicVR taking over.
What's wrong about going from one part of
beauty to another, even though this one is
obviously only for promotion? If I understand it right, MusicVR is about
experiencing something beautiful, each
person within their own imagination.
Cheers

Unregistered

Posted: May 23 2002, 04:37

Just need to add that the musical
samples of "tres lunas" are great.
Most resposes seem positive.

Unregistered

Posted: May 23 2002, 08:20

I've heard all the album samples yesterday - they are EXCELLENT, but also a little bit short frown Now I really can't wait for the album biggrin

Oh, and if there were some words about quoting, I must say that Landfall reminds me of Legend (the slower second part of it). Am I right ?
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 23 2002, 12:25

To Be Free video is disappointing,I expected something new...the only part I liked was the game´s excerpts.

Someone talked about that Operación Trunfo...I saw this on cable tv...good for eurovision stuff.

Maybe there´s another T B Free video version...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
91 replies since May 17 2002, 07:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net