Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New 'Elements' DVD set for release< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
willy
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 26 2004, 12:09

Quote (LivingForever @ Oct. 25 2004, 10:44)
Shame they couldn't include *all* of Mike's promos but the ones which are on here will make a nice upgrade to the comprehensive bootleg DVD which I have.

What other promos are there James?

Was there one for Northpoint? I seem to remember seeing Anita singing this with a sort of 'Aztec' feel but memory is vague.
Pat Gleeson Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 27 2004, 02:58

'North Point' was on the original video release of 'The Wind Chimes', which is included in this release as an extra.

All in all a superb release. Someone must be listening to us.
Let's hope the tracklisting stays firm, and nothing is removed, like the 'Sallyangie' CD release a few years back.
Profile PM 
willy
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 27 2004, 06:15

I'm pleased those Wind Chimes vids are included as they would have probably been lost forever!

And I hope they include the interview footage from Elements vid.
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2004, 07:51

Sounds good. If all the track and special feature listings are accurate it will be a really good package. But why has there been no confirmation from mikeoldfield.com? How hard can it be to put out a little release saying "yes, this is happening, here is the tracklist". From what we have I know that we will certainly get this DVD released (barring a tragedy) but official confirmation is always nice.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2004, 02:44

I looked today (Friday) at the Official Mike Oldfield Information Service at www.mikeoldfield.org, and they have announced the release.
They use the same link as this site.
Looking Good.

:)
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2004, 04:37

I'm going to celebrate by buying my first ever DVD player!  :)

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2004, 16:48

Oh Oh
Hold it it mo' - The very same website today is
casting some doubts as to the validity of the
tracklisting See:

www.mikeoldfield.org

Looks like we have rather more to worry about than I thought

:(
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2004, 23:10

A month before the release and no-one can even agree on what the tracklisting is? Surely the release can be organised better than this.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
zinc Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2004, 12:04

Great news if tracklisting is true especially a 26min excerpt from the 2nd House recording of TB1 which I only have as a really poor quality recording.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2004, 20:10

Just who is responsible fo any publicity for the DVD? Mike, Virgin or mike's management (if he has any?).

Jarres latest release, aero, has had TV spots, and even the hoarding around one of Manchester Uniteds Champions League games.

Once again it seems Mike has been undersold. If there is no investment in Mike's products, it will be down to his dedicated fans and maybe a few casual browsers in the local record shop to buy this DVD. Almost as if no-one wants Mike's work to reach a larger audience. And it was looking as if this really would be a definitive work.

Hopefully I'm wrong, and the delays and track-listing confusion are down to legal problems. But with no communication from any respected/official source we are left wondering.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2004, 20:30

Definitely Mike needs a marketing team as soon as possible.
I'd volunteer myself  :D

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2004, 12:37

Please, note some facts...

This DVD is going to be published by a company Mike is not linked anymore... Virgin (EMI) is the responsible for this edition, so Mike could easily be even unaware of this. Do you think someone told Mike about the Collection compilation in 2002? Instead of that, Mike was vaguely involved with Warner DVD collection re-edition, and apart from the 5:1 mixing of TB2003, he searched for the "lost demos", and made some sleeve notes, but it was his current record company.

Mike has always said that he is not interested in his back catalogue!! Remember that the press conference after TB3 Horse Guards Parade show, he talked more about Guitars than TB3. When Guitars was released, his press conference was more about the Millennium project,... When tres Lunas was premiered (I was there!!!;) he talked so much about TB 2003, and so on,... so it has really come as a surprise how this DVD could at last be edited,... and with such a tracklisting like that...

regards
Nacho
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2004, 17:32

I think Nacho above here is perfectly right. Aero had good promotion because JMJ was very much directly involved in it - it was his release, of course, but it also was a project he'd cherished for quite a long time. He conceived it, wrote it, played it, mixed it, and even directed the accompanying video.
On the other hand, what was Mike's involvement in this DVD release? Apart from being the author of the content, absolutely none. :) He isn't involved in this as he wasn't involved in the Elements box set, its single CD release, etc. In other words, Mike Oldfield [as a person and not as everything he may stand for :)] couldn't care less about his old record company releasing a DVD video collection of his greatest hits (and more), just as Ritchie (sp.?) Blackmore couldn't care less about what Deep Purple are doing. :) So, if the man himself is not involved, I don't really see any plausible reason why his management/his website/his agent/his whatever :) should be. Am I wrong?  ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 31 2004, 19:20

Mike really doesn't care to self-promo stuff,it dosen't matter the situation.

Even doing a interview to talk about the videos which were just added to the original content of the Elements video he wasn't interested.OK,he's not at Virgin anymore,but come on...

Sorry to say,but I think Mike is really bored with everything related to Mike Oldfield,the artist.Just look MO.com regarding to any news on him.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2004, 08:46

I don't think this is entirely true. Mike did promote quite well all of the recent stuff he was really involved in - Maestro, TB2003, Tr3s Lunas, the Music VR game - all these had quite good promotion. But this DVD, no matter what we say about it and how we turn it around, is a re-release of old stuff that he's not really involved in anymore, and thus not interested in. :) It may be precious stuff to us fans, but it's just old stuff to him, it belongs to his past. So I think that he's not bored with his current artistic persona, but rather with his (glorious) past. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 

Posted: Nov. 01 2004, 12:13

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 01 2004, 09:46)
I don't think this is entirely true. Mike did promote quite well all of the recent stuff he was really involved in - Maestro, TB2003, Tr3s Lunas, the Music VR game - all these had quite good promotion.

For TL,the promo aspect was really really great.

For TB 2003,not as I was expecting,really.Just a fuzz after its release,and later nothing,not even a premiere/tour(and Mike wanted to do it in 2002,but later he had changed his mind).

For Maestro,he did promote for only for his fans,even with those interviews around.Never found someone who bought Maestro since it's a different game if you compare to others around.Most ppl who got Maestro are Mike fans,afaik.I sent a few messages to Fanny about some ideas to promote better Maestro to a wider audience when the now defunct MO.com was working...things stayed the same...MusicVR.com makes me laugh a lot,imo. There was even a page on Noble.co.uk with Maestro's press release,a lauching date,and all the stuff related.No promo party like Mike did for TL(the game).Nothing.

My pennies on...

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2004, 12:53

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 01 2004, 08:46)
I don't think this is entirely true. Mike did promote quite well all of the recent stuff he was really involved in - Maestro, TB2003, Tr3s Lunas, the Music VR game - all these had quite good promotion.

TB 2 was well promoted, but I have not seen any bit of promotion for anything for Mike since then unless I dug deep for it (which includes haunting fan-only sources).

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
EDROFKRAM Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2004, 13:09

I hope this dvd is polished up, enhanced and digitally washed and scrubbed. I'll never forget when I shop bought Total recall, a video cllection of Roxy Music, the qaulity was shite it looked like it had been taped off the telly on worn out recorder.
Profile PM 
CitizenErased
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 03 2004, 10:02

Though the content of the DVD has been published in to Virgin related websites (Virgin Germany & ShopEMI), www.mikeoldfield.org is still sceptical with the content of it, making clear that the validity of the tracklisting is not certain. Don't know which is the relationship between Mike Oldfield and EMI, but it's funny to see how, even the official website of a musician cannot confirm the content of a DVD. (Yes, I know that EMI/Virgin is no longer Oldfield's record label, but, anyway, it would be a sing of "humanity" to keep your ex-client informed of what are you doing with his back-catalogue ...  :/  ).

27/10/04: New DVD: Elements - The Best of Mike Oldfield

The DVD will be released on November 29th. Although the tracklist and info are available at the Virgin Germany site here, there are some doubts about the validity of the tracklisting, which we are hoping to verify shortly.
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2004, 18:55

You can pre order at Amazon Germany now too:

http://www.amazon.de/exec....3191765

though the tracklist doesn't say anything about the Wind Chimes etc... lets hope it's a mistake. This DVD is the best!

for the Jarre fans: don't forget to order the Beijing DVD with it! ;)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
67 replies since Sep. 01 2004, 18:33 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net