Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New contract with Warner and new album 'Tres Lunas'< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 08 2002, 20:57

There's a hill in the same part of the world as Hergest Ridge called Lord Hereford's Knob...perhaps he could name the album after that...
Profile PM 
Ingvar V Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 09 2002, 15:51

Lord Hereford's Knob, I like that a lot! It reminds me of Sailor's Hornpipe, the original in the Boxed set...
Profile PM 
Ingvar V Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2002, 19:31

...Sailor's Hornpipe, the original in the Boxed set...and recently revived members of the public...all that Viv's stuff
Profile PM 
Dervish_D Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2002, 05:29

It seems strange that many of you really expect a good new album with "Tres Luna". What I do is just wait and see and wonder why Mike always claims to make music for himself but on the other hand has to make compromises in the form that he has to do a re-recording of "Tubular Bells". I assume it was not his idea, same with the release of an extra Audio CD along with the computergame. It would have been to risky for the record company to just release the game. To ensure the $-flow, the company shapes Mikes interesting idea of a computer game to certainly sellable "pieces of fan articles".I don't understand why Mike has to think about contracts and releases at all. If he would really make music for himself (and not for the good of the record industry), he would just make music, the way he feels and is. Noone must ever get to know how "simple", "unspectecular" this would be. What is strange in (Mike's ?) thinking, is, that it seems he regards good, what can be sold well. I thought these times were over with "Amarok". I thought it marked an end of a period, when he made music, he himself did actually not want because he was trapped in this "20-album-Virgin-contract-thing". No he is YEARNING for a contract to SELL his pieces!!!
Perhaps it is difficult with us, too because we are the ones that BUY his music and strengthen him in his view that "Tubular Bells=GOOD" and "new, innovative things=UUh, don't know, risky, what if nobody likes it". I wave out:"DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM HIM!!!" Don't be afraid, Mike will survive it (financially). BUT WHAT IF THIS WOULD MAKE SOMETHING GROW IN HIM THAT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT??? Imagine, Mike would discover that e.g. cooking is the one and only passion and now makes faaaaaaantastic meal. 5 years later he might suddenly see his guitar and remembers the times and when he starts playing he notices he is a different person and it will be different music.
Profile PM 
Ingvar V Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2002, 08:56

Here's a suggestion for an album title for one of Oldfield's Warner CDs:
IN TEMPORE BELLI. It's latin and means In Time of War. And it's a very apt title!
The American composer George Crumb inscribed "in tempore belli" in his devilish Vietnam War music Black Angels - which was included in The Exorcist, like many other fine works of that time.
Ingvar V.
Profile PM 
84-489
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 11 2002, 16:39

The Tubular Bells re-work is nothing more than a money spinner - we all know that. Frankly, I hope he sticks to the original themes and arrangements, simply substituting old technology for new. It would make for an interesting comparison. Ultimately I feel that the rustic beauty and pastoral charm of the original would still beat technical perfection and microsoft cut and paste vogue anyday.

Let's wait and see...
Ingvar V Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2002, 05:13

The cut & paste vogue has a name: POST MODERNISM. And it has been stagnated for years.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2002, 19:12

Pretentious moi? wink

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2002, 04:18

personally i like everything that mike has done.
i can say i dont like the orchesteral tubular bells because that is credited to david bedford but with MO as writer.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2002, 08:49

I must say that I've become a huge fan of "chill" in the past couple years, thanks to bands like Morcheeba, Beanfield, and Deepfried Toguma, and I can't wait to see how MO puts his stamp on the genre. Sorry to see that Olivier is passing judgement on the album based on a couple short MP3 samples. I hope he turns out to be pleasantly surprised by TL.
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 19 2002, 10:13

As I said, I don't think I will be surprised a lot by Tres Lunas. I think I might be more surprised by the re-recording of Tubular Bells. We don't have any sample of it contrary to Tres Lunas, so I have no idea how it will sound. I think there are chances Mike produces it differently than his last albums, and develop a new sound he will use in the future (a little bit like what happenned with Tubular Bells II). With Tres Lunas, Mike doesn't seem to introduce any new idea, and doesn't use the best ones he had.
Profile PM 
70 replies since Feb. 01 2002, 19:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net