Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music Of The Spheres tracklisting< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 23 2007, 09:00

We know many of you have been waiting for this! Now here it is, just in from Universal Music, the tracklisting for Music Of The Spheres:

Part 1
1.   Harbinger - 04.08
2.   Animus - 03.09
3.   Silhouette - 03.19
4.   Shabda - 04.00
5.   The Tempest - 05.48
6.   Harbinger (reprise) - 01.30
7.   On My Heart - 02.27 Featuring Hayley Westenra

Part 2
8.    Aurora - 03.42
9.    Prophecy - 02.54
10.  On My Heart (reprise) - 01.16
11.  Harmonia Mundi - 03.46
12.  The Other Side - 01.28
13.  Empyrean - 01.37
14.  Musica Universalis - 06.24

Total running time:  45.30

The album will be released on CD and also - for the very first time for a classical recording - on USB flash drive.

Unfortunately the release date has been pushed back a week; the date for UK release is now November 12th.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 23 2007, 10:12

As the tracks' names suggest,forget about Hallow'een!

But it should be a bit longer...

And USB flash drive - now it's been quite popular to launch new albums this way,and now a classical recording...ab fab Mike  :cool:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 10:44

I hope this means a 2 tracks album with a "fake track listing" (like for TB 2003) and not real tiny bits of classical music...

And regarding the flash drive, ahhh dear mike, what can I say... incorrigible.

:)

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 

Posted: July 23 2007, 10:53

TB,Ommadawn and HR have less than 50 minutes of music because of the length of the LP in total,but we know the music is great.

What I do care is the quality of the music,just that

;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 10:59

I didn't mention the overall length, I said I hoped it was a coherent 2 pieces of music, not 14 separated / pop format album, like he did many (and recently).

And it's kind from you to take TB, O and HR as examples, but I'm afraid that... Mike is too happy and stable now to do anything like this again :D

--------------
Jerome C
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 10:59

Haha, now I guess I can forget about calling my music project "The Harbinger". Thanks, Mike!  :D
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 11:33

why nothing on this from mikeoldfield.com? LAST UPDATE 24TH MAY 2005!

Universal themselves have no mention of the upcoming album - Mike not even listed as one of their artists- its laughable...
Profile PM 
BeeNBee Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 12:12

Cannot be...i thought it would looks like kind of TB, two longer pieces of music but anyway it's great to hear the news!  :D
The quality not quantity  :p
I agree with one of the opinions above that Mike is too happy and self-assured to create sth similar to 'The Great Trio'   ;) someone said that the best music ever done was due to the 'negative' energy within artists...I suppose Mike confirms this to some extent.

--------------
" Michal Kochamy Cie! " - Katowice 1999
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 13:19

This is great news. Im particularly pleased to have it finally confirmed that Hayley Westerna is on the recording. She is a fantastic vocalist. For those who have not heard her, you are in for a treat.
As for the debate about track listings and length of each track, surely the clue is that the cd is in two parts, which to me indicates two lengthy pieces of work.

I also do not subscribe to the view that mike is settled in releasing recordings of short individual tracks. Yes, this has been Mikes direction for the last couple of cds but we should take into account what he has been saying about his music in the interviews he has been giving. He has given the impression that he is going back to basics, no techno and drum loops, just grand piano and classical guitar...going back to basics for Mike indicates to me a willingness to record how he used to, longer pieces of music.

Blimey, November 12th seems so far away right now!!!

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 13:40

Its tempting to jump to conclusions early but clearly its a two piece album and he's just breaking down the 2 sections into identifiable chunks like he did with the TB2003 rerecording. And I definitely vote for quality over quantity, look how short Ommadawn is and look at what he crammed into it. Anyway we'll have to wait and see, looks exciting though.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 13:45

Quote (Ratty @ July 23 2007, 13:19)
Blimey, November 12th seems so far away right now!!!

*adjusts countdown clock* Yes, three months, 19 days, and fourteen hours. But the anticipation is delicious! I love so much of MO's work - early and late - that I am confident I will love this album, too.

As for flash drives... I wasn't aware of its use for official music distribution. What is the price range for something like this? I imagine it must be rather higher than a CD. And are there advantages over a CD other than size?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 13:53

Quote (Sweatpea @ July 23 2007, 19:45)
As for flash drives... I wasn't aware of its use for official music distribution. What is the price range for something like this? I imagine it must be rather higher than a CD. And are there advantages over a CD other than size?

So you all see ? size matters !!! ;)

Regarding the inner power that made the first masterpieces, Mike himself clearly explains in Changeling how it was fueled : all the deep personal problems he had at that time of his life.

But I fully agree, let's wait now  :zzz:

--------------
Jerome C
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 13:55

:) A little excerpt lacks now to whet our appetite . ( don't know if it's the right sentence )  :) Hope you know what i mean .
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 23 2007, 14:07

I can't answer why there is no news about this on mikeoldfield.com - that would be one that Mike and Fanny would have to answer - but Mike is listed on the Universal Music UK website. Selecting his name simply calls up mikeoldfield.com, but they at least acknowledge that he exists.
It's very early days for them to be promoting the album heavily. They don't even have the artwork finalised yet. Perhaps when they do, that will then give them an overall style to work with which they can transfer to a promotional website like they did for Light + Shade. The projected release is nearly four months away, so don't expect to be seeing Mike's face on billboards just yet.
They have chosen to work together with us to keep fans up to date with the latest news via this site. I personally think this shows quite a large commitment to Mike and his fans - they could simply have let us wait until the release. This site is often read by people in the media who are looking for information on Mike and of course word gets around, so even at this early stage, I don't think it would be fair to say that the album is going unpromoted.

I personally think that 45:30 is a nice length. I've heard very few albums of over that length which haven't felt like they're outstaying their welcome by about the 50 minute mark.
The length of the work and the division into Part One and Part Two reminds me very strongly of Tubular Bells...we shall see...

These flash drives generally hold MP3 files, though there's no real reason why they couldn't put the files on in a different format. We're not sure what bitrate the files will be at, or what size the drive will be. There's not much advantage to them other than that they give you the album as MP3s to start with, rather than you having to rip them from a CD to use with an MP3 player - this may be convenient for people who store their whole collections as MP3s and never play the original CD. The drive is of course also reusable - you may just want a Mike Oldfield USB stick as a souvenir.
When the Barenaked Ladies released an album like this, it was a 128mb stick which cost $25 (about £12 or €18), as far as I can make out. We have no information on what the Music Of The Spheres one will cost, but of course we'll let you know as soon as we do.

I suspect Harmonia Mudi is a typo, by the way - it should probably be Harmonia Mundi (harmony of the world), but I'll see if we can check that.
I'm rather amused by the title of the last track. Musica Universalis is of course another name for Music Of The Spheres, but translated, it of course means Universal Music...I can't help thinking of Quicksilver here!
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 14:23

Hello All

THE 12TH NOVEMBER  IS TOO FAR AWAY !!!!!

The sooner we hear 30+ sec samples the happier I'll be !!!

Neil

:(   :D
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 14:30

Quote (Korgscrew @ July 23 2007, 14:07)
you may just want a Mike Oldfield USB stick as a souvenir.

That is tempting in itself, but as I've put all of my MO music on my computer, it would also be convenient (as you've suggested) for me to eliminate the conversion process. I do like having a CD collection, though. I may just have to buy both!

I also wondered about "Harmonia Mudi", but when I Googled the term, several results - in reference to classical composition - came up. Though I suppose those could be typos, as well.

Thanks so much for all the info, Korgscrew.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
gbcrvh Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 16:01

Thank you for the info!  It's interesting, but I would like to not to hear any sample before album gets out.  I guess it's just like Harry Potter thing - I wish to wait for date of release and without reading to any reviews before listening album myself with my thought only on album.
Profile PM WEB 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 16:06

Noo no no...it's too short :O ...everything is chopped up TOO SHORT! :p

I don't care that much about the titles...I guess they're OK as long as there're no "F" words or other nasty stuff.
I think they feels a bit spiritual -me likes...but the timing concerns me a bit.  :/
Btw "Animus"...isn't that pretty close to "Adiemus" (Karl Jenkins earlier works)??
Well I just have to wait. Now I'm curious about the artwork and maybe two or three teasers?  :cool:

I'm pretty damn sure I'll buy the discs + the USB memory.  :D

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 23 2007, 16:27

wow, i love the name of the tracks/parts..
This seems to be much better..
Maybe a short album but ommadawn is not long either!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: July 23 2007, 17:06

Any news about the concept of the album yet?

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
110 replies since July 23 2007, 09:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net