Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music Of The Spheres premiere concert< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 11:15

I'm pleased to announce that we will have a small number of tickets to give away. There will also be some distributed to a few other sites. We'll make a full announcement soon once we're sure of numbers and once we have all the details sorted out. We realise that people will need to make plans, so we'll try to sort all this out as quickly as possible.

They will be standing tickets, and the view may be restricted.

The concert will be recorded for sale exclusively on iTunes on March 17th.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 11:31

Can I be on the list please.

Ta
Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 11:32

Me too?

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 11:45

Quote (Korgscrew @ Feb. 26 2008, 13:15)
The concert will be recorded for sale exclusively on iTunes on March 17th.

Interesting,but how people who can't buy iTunes store(I know a few countries iTunes Store doesn't work at all,even with a international credit card) would get the recording,since iTunes files are protected?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
zinc Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 11:49

please please please add me to your list for tickets!
Thank you
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 12:11

We'll start a separate topic for this once all the details are sorted - there'll be an announcement with all the details, including how to apply!

I think it's a fair point about iTunes. I'd much prefer to see a release on CD in one of those nice tins, personally. I'd imagine they've made some kind of deal which will prevent them from offering it to other retailers, though.
Profile PM 
BTH Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 12:25

Great news that some fans are going to be able to attend - I'd give my eye-teeth to be there, even moreso since I have to be in Madrid on the Sunday after anyway... Would make for a wonderful excuse to head to Spain early!  :D
I have to wonder though, they are obviously going to major effort to organize this concert - orchestra, choir, Hayley, the works... It's not going to be some lame backing tracked effort. It has to sound good if it's going to be recorded and flogged on iTunes. So why, why, why not involve an audience as well other than assorted record industry types and journos. Surely the sight of hundreds, possibly thousands of die hard fans from all over europe and beyond flocking to Bilbao for this special performance would do far more to publicize the release of the album than the current situation where they appear to be slightly begrudgingly offering up a few tickets to be raffled!
Anyway, I await with interest any further news. I have to add, I've been listening to MOS for months now and it's still as fresh and dynamic sounding as when I first clapped ears on it. It's a truly wonderful work and I wish to predict that it's going to be HUGE. Everyone I've played it to, from classical buffs to indie kids, has been wildly impressed... Roll on the release!

--------------
Tá mé an amadán ag cheoil...
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 12:35

Sad news about limiting the release through itunes. Just can't get interested in that.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 13:06

Quote (BTH @ Feb. 26 2008, 17:25)
So why, why, why not involve an audience as well other than assorted record industry types and journos. Surely the sight of hundreds, possibly thousands of die hard fans from all over europe and beyond flocking to Bilbao for this special performance would do far more to publicize the release of the album than the current situation where they appear to be slightly begrudgingly offering up a few tickets to be raffled!

It is indeed a bit strange. I actually almost got the impression that the people who thought up the idea hadn't considered that fans might want to come. I had a discussion about organising a separate side-event for fans to attend and was asked then how many I thought would come. I said that depended on exactly what was on offer and reeled off a few figures, to which the answer was along the lines of "Well I'll put this to the people organising it. At least it'll show that there's an interest there", almost as if they hadn't really considered that there would be.

I suppose they picked the Guggenheim first, then worked out the rest of the details around that. I think the main purpose of it is as a publicity stunt, so I suppose they're aiming to make the people from the media feel special by making the event exclusive. I imagine it would also have taken a fair bit more organising to open it up to a bigger audience. Still, you're right, it's a bit of a missed opportunity.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 13:26

Definitely wanting to go, Korgscrew.

:p
Profile PM 

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 13:33

Quote (Alan D @ Feb. 26 2008, 14:35)
Sad news about limiting the release through itunes. Just can't get interested in that.

For me it's a bit of a trouble.Apple doesn't have plans to launch iTunes store for brazilians(as well as other countries),so I'll wait and see how to get it.And it's a bit strange to buy a digital album,really...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 14:14

Quote (Korgscrew @ Feb. 26 2008, 18:06)
It is indeed a bit strange. I actually almost got the impression that the people who thought up the idea hadn't considered that fans might want to come.

picture this:

Concert with about 200 die hard fans cheering their heads off and a 2hr standing ovation (No not a guitar!;)  - the critics are all there with the journalists - WOW who is this guy!  He must be popular!

cf  - compared with

A room full of journalists and critics not all of who are aware who this is or whether they should be applaudiung or critising - but they do get a free glass of wine or two!!!!

Didn't anyone learn from Queen who use to hold special concerts for fan club members  - which were used as a video creation exercises.

However - don't be naieve, I don't think Mr Oldfield is in this game for the benefit of a few thousand people who not only buy his records but his guitars too (Ha!;) - he would not make a nice living out of that - he needs the marketing machine to do that for him.  Although one could argue that selling direct to fans would generate the same as about 15 times the sales via his record company??  But i'm not an expert in that field, but i suspect it wouldn't make enough.

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 15:40

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Feb. 26 2008, 18:33)
And it's a bit strange to buy a digital album,really...

I agree entirely, Tati. I suppose we must wait and see what opportunities arise.
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 18:25

Well done Korgscrew and co. for arranging.
If you get enough tickets, I'm interested too.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
ORIONs Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 18:57

I'm interested too, I will be in Bilbao
Profile PM 
crises1980 Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 19:02

[quote=Korgscrew,Feb. 26 2008, 13:06][/quote]
It is indeed a bit strange. I actually almost got the impression that the people who thought up the idea hadn't considered that fans might want to come.

There are several strange points in this issue. For instance, it's not Universal themselves who are carrying Mike's promo in Spain, but an off-company group-

Then, these 200-people event is not exclusive for press, but most of the room will be filled with "authorities, personalities and both orchestra and choir invitations" (quite frustrating). There has been a lot of restrictions regarding press passes.

I suppose they picked the Guggenheim first, then worked out the rest of the details around that.

AFAIK, first Guggenheim rumours started in December.

it's a bit of a missed opportunity.

Even for serious journalists that have not been passes at all.

In any case, it could have been a great opportunity to organise a fan meeting in Bilbao.

PS: If there are spare tickets, I'd love to get one of them, BTW.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 21:00

To those of you in Germany and Spain, I'm assured that fan groups in those two countries will be getting their own supplies of tickets from their local Universal offices. If none of you have heard anything about this, I'd suggest that anyone with contacts at Universal ought to start asking questions. I don't know if anyone else apart from us has been trying to negotiate this - if anyone has, maybe they know more about it than I do. Please bear in mind, though, that if a particular site has already been allocated tickets, it's their decision what to do with them - if they've chosen to keep it quiet, that's their choice and I don't want to encourage anyone to start fights over this...what I do want to do is make sure that Universal keep to their word, so if they don't allocate tickets to the Spanish and German fan sites like they've told us they will, make some noise!
I know that mikeoldfield.org has definitely been allocated some, which they're offering Dark Star subscribers a chance to win.
Profile PM 

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 21:26

I'm sure the fans are going to have something better later on this year regarding MOTS...

Dunno if it was Mike's choice to play just for the press,but I do think the pressure is a little bit less hard to deal with than with us the fans,who are much more critical regarding Mike's performance...just my pennies on the subject.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
clac Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2008, 07:01

hope it has not been mentioned yet, but i received this this night:

SUBSCRIBER EXCLUSIVE: WIN TICKETS TO THE WORLD PREMIERE OF MUSIC OF THE SPHERES

at the Guggenheim museum, Bilbao (Spain) at 9pm on Friday 7th March.

Soloists Mike Oldfield and Hayley Westenra will perform the whole of Mike's new album, Music of the Spheres (read more about the album here), accompanied by the Euskadiko Orchestra and Bilbao Choral Society. The event is a private event for the international press, but Dark Star has secured a limited number of tickets to the event. Click here to enter the competition - closing date for entries 9:00am, Sunday 2nd March.

This message is being sent as part of your subscription to the Mike Oldfield Newswire run by Dark Star .
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2008, 16:08

Exclusivity for iTunes? That suck but I'm sure there'll be other ways to get a copy.
Profile PM 
100 replies since Jan. 23 2008, 15:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net