[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres on its way!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 05 2007, 14:47

Quote (TOBY @ July 05 2007, 05:53)
Still not that keen on 'Music of the Spheres' as a title. Just makes me think of Ian Brown's album.

For me,it's not a good name for a classical piece.Sounds too new agey to me  :(

But let's wait and see what Mike has done...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 05 2007, 15:04

Quicksilver turned to be Light & Shade at the end...

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 15:41

Quote (Tubularman @ July 05 2007, 15:04)
Quicksilver turned to be Light & Shade at the end...

Yes and "Light and Shade" was the least interesting title ever, wasn't it? It can go from bad to worse.

He could call it "music for balls" while still keeping to the message (or whatever it is).

But we shouldn't worry about titles. Naming an album "Platinum" wasn't a stroke of genius either. "Discovery" and "Earth Moving" are equally bland titles that makes of you think of just about anything (or nothing).

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 15:45

By and large album or track titles have never been Mike's strong point. His better ones are always the more abstract Ommadawn and Amarok worked really well. QE2 has to to the worst though, especially on the tail end of punk - talk about asking for it.

I think this may have been covered before but this is no doubt Mike's point of reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_the_spheres

I'm not sure what that has to do with Halloween but maybe that idea was changed too.
Profile PM 
Sentinel101 Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 15:56

I hope that MOTS follows the pattern of Amarok where a long time of disappointing albums was followed by an incredible creative outburst.

The Wikipedia article is very interesting. It seems that Mike returned to the form of a concept album with interconnected tracks. Did you notice the funny (or intentional) coincidence: "Musica universalis (lit. universal music, or music of the spheres)" and MOTS is release by Universal. Maybe a nod to his new record company :-)

Mike
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 16:54

I agree with TOBY re. the new album no longer to do with Halloween ...what with the Title being MOTS and Mike's statement at the end of Changeling :-

'...It's going to be hand-played and MATHEMATICAL ; it's going to be as complicated as I feel it needs to be.'

This surely leads to something rather challenging ( at least in part ) linked to the ideas of the mathematician Kepler ?

Neil
:D
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 19:11

Quote (HuanCry @ July 05 2007, 16:54)
'...It's going to be hand-played and MATHEMATICAL ; it's going to be as complicated as I feel it needs to be.'

That sentence makes my knees tremble. Will it be mathematical as in 11/8? Please, please...

BTW Karl Jenkins is no stranger complicated music. Listen to his composition "Riff" from Soft Machine Six. Then come back and tell me what time signature that tune is (and no cheating looking on the net!).

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 06 2007, 02:18

Regarding the title, I doubt it will change now. The fact that Universal have confirmed the title suggests to me that they're ready to begin promoting the album under that name. There could be a drastic u-turn of course, but I'd not be counting on it. Still, we'll see what happens.

Regarding the time it's taken to come together, do bear in mind it's an orchestral piece. Bringing 100 or so musicians into the studio and having them all play the parts at once takes a heck of a lot less time than playing all those parts yourself. All that said, Ommadawn really didn't take very long at all - Hergest Ridge was released in August 1974, and by October 1975, Ommadawn was on the shelves, and that not only Mike playing most of the parts himself, but him doing all that twice after the faulty tapes incident. So, I wouldn't say that the time it's taken to complete is any cause for concern. In fact, I can say from experience that sometimes the best ideas are the ones which come out quickly...it's when something has to be pulled out and laboured at that it turns out lacklustre.

I would also agree that we're most likely still looking at an autumn release date. We'll of course keep you informed.
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: July 06 2007, 03:15

The Hallowe'en link may be useful to the marketing people, and that suggests a tie in for the release date.

If anybody has heard David Byrne's The Forest they will appreciate how much individuality and creativity can be put into a classical (in the sense of orchestral and non-electronic) piece. I hope Mike has not forgotten his ability to think creatively and simply used the orchestra to 'play tunes'...he can still muck around with sound and ideas ... we'll see!

I reviewed The Forest here on Amazon... you can play excerpts too. If Mike's work touches this its a masterpiece!
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Posted: July 06 2007, 03:26

Quote (Korgscrew @ July 06 2007, 02:18)
In fact, I can say from experience that sometimes the best ideas are the ones which come out quickly...it's when something has to be pulled out and laboured at that it turns out lacklustre.

After Listening to "Kate Bush"  and the long Laboured "Ariel" CD I cannt agree more.. Although i can imagine the concept relating to a 3 minute Pop Song more so.. Maybe Mike had a few Riffs kicking around in his head and its been easy to link it altogether this time ... :cool:
Profile PM 
tubtattoo Offline

Posted: July 06 2007, 03:42

www.hmv.co.uk are showing it for release 5 Nov as well... they even have it at nearly half price? Go figure!

I agree that the name of the album seems to fit with a lot Mike says in his book and to be honest as long as the music moves me it could be untitled as far as I was concerned.

Malky
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 06 2007, 03:56

To be honest I think albums that are produced quickly are sometimes better than ones that are agonised over for years. If you spend to long doing something you fall into the trap that Peter Gabriel falls into occasionally where your material starts to feel over considered.

As Korgscrew says classical albums can actually be recorded very quickly since in Mike's case all he's got to come up with is the music himself and not the performance (though I hope he's performing some of it) He can then concentrate and enjoy the mix of it all which, as some musicians and engineers will tell you,  is where the real performance of a recorded piece comes together.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: July 06 2007, 04:08

Quote (torbenyj @ July 05 2007, 08:03)
hmmm

http://peyote.com/jonstef/spheres.htm

This Pythagoras article brings together Mike's interest in astronomy, music (obviously), but also mathematical music which Mike refers to in 'Changeling' especially in reference to Incantations and his hopes for music in the future.

It's almost as if Mike is picking up where he left off after punk and Branson took him off track during the recording of Incantations. Funny also that Incantations has astronomy conotations with the "Lunar and Diana" vocals and The Space Movie connection.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: July 06 2007, 05:01

Music of the Spheres remains me of Terry Oldfield..
It sounds like a new age album really..  :)

quote: Anyway.. larstangmark.
I think Platinum is a great title   ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 06 2007, 05:44

Quote (Tubularman @ July 06 2007, 05:01)
quote: Anyway.. larstangmark.
I think Platinum is a great title   ;)

OK it's not that bad. It works with the cover. But it's very close to self-gratulatory if you're supposed think of platinum sales.

I would like to add that Mike also came upp with two of the greatest album titles ever; Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn. It makes you think where? and what?, and then it makes you want to listen to the record and like it.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 06 2007, 06:00

Quote (larstangmark @ July 06 2007, 10:44)
But it's very close to self-gratulatory if you're supposed think of platinum sales.

In all these years, that's never occurred to me. The combination of title and album sleeve made me think of something polished, shiny, metallic, light, mysterious, delicate and precious all at the same time - and that's pretty well the effect the music had on me too: conflicting images and ideas that nevertheless held together. Platinum was a good, expressive title, I think - and fittingly different to what had gone before.

All this talk of Music of the Spheres sounding 'New Age' seems strange to someone who as a child was devouring books on the history of astronomy and had never heard of the New Age movement. The concept is extremely ancient with all kinds of interesting resonances relating to music, harmony, astronomy, mathematics, philosophy and so on, and I'll be very interested indeed to see what Mike has made of it all.
Profile PM 
Taurus Outcast Offline

Posted: July 06 2007, 06:42

i think hes had a tremendous release of pressure with the autobiography, which was the most truthful and honest i've ever read, so im sure this is going to be from the heart and absolutely brilliant and something he really wants to do! it doesnt have to be like amarok or ommadawn, it just has to be like mike!

peace x
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 06 2007, 08:02

Let's hope that this album has got a proper marketing strategy to put Mike back again in the limelight as a musician!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Deadcalm Offline

Posted: July 06 2007, 08:57

This type of album ie "Classical" begs a Pre Release Concert where its played out in its entirety ... One of the best ways to get Publicity!! ie invite the Press down for preview.. Gives emm something to write about!!.. Plus all the MO and Jenkins
Fans will fill the venue to give a standing ovation no doubt..
As a 1 Off I cannt see a Down side unless the orchestra has a "off night"..  As a Come on to buy the Album as well why not include a Free TB1 with it as well  .. I think Moody Blues did that a few years back ie gave a freebie away with the new album.. Maybe Classic FM might get on to it as well  ..Given a Nudge
:cool:
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 06 2007, 09:46

Quote (Alan D @ July 06 2007, 06:00)
Quote (larstangmark @ July 06 2007, 10:44)
But it's very close to self-gratulatory if you're supposed think of platinum sales.

In all these years, that's never occurred to me. The combination of title and album sleeve made me think of something polished, shiny, metallic, light, mysterious, delicate and precious all at the same time - and that's pretty well the effect the music had on me too: conflicting images and ideas that nevertheless held together. Platinum was a good, expressive title, I think - and fittingly different to what had gone before.

All this talk of Music of the Spheres sounding 'New Age' seems strange to someone who as a child was devouring books on the history of astronomy and had never heard of the New Age movement. The concept is extremely ancient with all kinds of interesting resonances relating to music, harmony, astronomy, mathematics, philosophy and so on, and I'll be very interested indeed to see what Mike has made of it all.

The origin in the title lies somewhere in between:

"I was very idealistic at the time of 'Tubular Bells'. I suppose you could say I had a vision of what I wanted to do, but it was a vision of security and warmth and safety because I felt so unsafe. Now I want to acheive clarity. I can only describe it in pictorial terms, you know, like the way every album I've ever had has had a blue cover on it.
"That's why I called it 'Platinum', partly as a joke - you know, 'Mike Oldfield goes platinum', but also because it's a lovely strange metal, heavy and bendy like lead. I really wanted to call it 'Airborne', but they wouldn't have it. They've always done things like that. They even wanted me to put vocals on 'Tubular Bells'.
"I feel nice and averagely neurotic like everyone else, now."

The full interview is here: http://tubular.net/articles/79_12.shtml

Another thing; If something "sounds new age" my worst fear isn't that Mike will dwell on new-age matters, but that it will sound like Yanni! I'm no stranger to new-age concepts, but I don't much like the CDs that they sell in shops with scented candles.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
84 replies since July 05 2007, 01:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net