Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres is here!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ian Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 12:46

Listened again a couple of times today and it's a grower. Nice to drive to on the way home from work through the countryside.

:cool:
Profile PM WEB 
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 14:32

BELGIUM HAS LIFT OFF.....
I Tunes in Belgium is now selling MotS.
Thanks again ProjectZ for the poke to Universal.
Beer.... check.....I-Pod......check.......Do Not Disturb sign......check..... :laugh:

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
Tommy139 Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 14:42

My CD arrived in todays post and.... (drumroll), there is a silver squiggle on it which I presume means its a signed copy !!
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 14:45

CAnt wait to patch in some screaming PRS over the top of it... :D
:D

Ray    ;)

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 15:07

received my copy from play.com no signature :/                 played it a couple of times and it is a grower.                     just one moan really for a mike oldfield album ,theirs not a lot of mike oldfield on it or am i missing the point?  :)
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 15:30

I Keep thinking when PROPHECY is playing someones going to start singing  "A World in Union"  Not sure if I would like that but it is a Great Song...   like How the CD is Divided into PT 1 & 2.. Im a Pt 2 Fan at the Moment although Shabda is sounding better all the time.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 18:10

I just listened to Exposed Incantations and I now even more think that there are several guitars missing from MOTS.  Lost is the striking guitar sound that gives Mike 's music it's life and listenability.  I actually look forward to hearing the guitar start in incantations after the clapping bit.  There is nothing like that to look forward to in MOTS

I'm not saying it is bad, far from it, it is very pleasant, but I really miss the guitar sound and quality of playing - so it not jump up and down brilliantly great like the albums used to be..

:/

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 18:32

I would have liked to hear more of the percussion and Xylophone timbres like Incantations and a bit less polished classical guitar.
Profile PM WEB 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 19:02

Quote (Ray @ Mar. 18 2008, 20:45)
CAnt wait to patch in some screaming PRS over the top of it... :D
:D

Ray    ;)

Good idea Ray! Although mine is an Ibanez maybe it could come to some use.   :D

The new "Tubular Bells" sling is already nailed.  :p

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 05:59

:D  Happy !!! The postman has just given me my " Music of the Spheres " today on the  morning !  :D . Thanks for Internet and FNAC shop !  ;)
Profile PM 
Taynie Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 07:19

I agree with Ian, a stint of pure percussion/xylophone would have rounded it off.

..... And for me also more guitars, more of Mikes quirky humour, perhaps an orgasmic sequence( as  the likes of Ommodawn,Crises, TB3 etc), more screaming guitars and drums..........etc.........

That's me being a bit greedy.

But I like Mike best when he's being 'real', and maybe there's a hint of him seeking approval from the 'classical' establishment. He's nothing to prove, he's a class above the rest. He's impressed me that's the main thing.

--------------
once these things get going it's jolly hard to stop them again
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 08:03

Just a quick newsflash from Universal: apparently the album is selling amazingly well. It looks set to top the classical charts this weekend, and it's climbing in the pop charts too. Does anyone feel like buying a few thousand copies just to make certain?
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 08:14

Thanks Korgscrew  .....this is the sort of news we fans like to hear and should have heard for quite a few of Mike's previous albums if they had as good a promotion as MOTS as had !!!

:(  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 08:36

Well I finally went out and bought a real copy today having lived with the naughty version since way back last september.I must admit it`s really coming to life here emanating from real hi-fi speakers for the very first time.Simply breathtaking in places.

Unfortunatly I was in Asda with my wife when I bought it,which meant I got the inevitable.."This better not be anything to do with Tubular Bells."comment from my better half.Heh heh luckily for me she decided to stay at the shops while I eagerly drove home alone feelng like a kid with a dirty book under his coat coming out of the newsagents.Not that I`ve ever done such a thing myself of course.

Asda had it at number 14 while I was in there,and also on a rack of new releases with about 6 or 7 other albums.Just noticing for the first time that that familiar celtic like theme Mike comes up with during the second part of Silhouette reminds me somewhat of "Safe Haven" from Paul McCartney`s Standing Stone.Although it is also a very typical Mike theme as well I may add.

Also find myself agreeing with a lot of comments here about Shabda and Harmonia Mundi those two tracks are really standing out to me now.Truly beautiful and inspirational.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 09:37

I still haven't received my copy of MOTS from play.com. :/ And my hands are itching and itching more and more.

Normally I would have bought a copy in my local record shop (and would have a copy on the day it was released), but I secretly hope I get a signed copy from play.com. The pressure is getting so big, that I maybe will buy the whole on iTunes as well (completely against my opinion of buying compressed music... see my other posts).

I still haven't heard one single note of the album, except the excerpts on internet of course.

Oh well, I was happy with the All You Need is Love DVD which I received today though. ;) And some rare Mike Oldfield singles from ebay.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 11:11

Quote (HuanCry @ Mar. 19 2008, 08:14)
Thanks Korgscrew  .....this is the sort of news we fans like to hear and should have heard for quite a few of Mike's previous albums if they had as good a promotion as MOTS as had !!!

:(  :laugh:

Or indeed had those previous albums been as good as MOTS. Universal are promting it well because they know they've got a good album on their hands that may actually shift a few units to a wide range of listeners. They were never going to get that from L+S, Tres Lunas or some of the other recent albums.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 12:29

I definately was not thinking of those particular albums Toby ...more like Amarok or TB3 to name just two ...there was no UK TV ad for TB3 even when Q magazine surprisingly ( based on previous album reviews ) gave it 4 stars !   :(  :)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 14:32

Quote (HuanCry @ Mar. 19 2008, 12:29)
I definately was not thinking of those particular albums Toby ...more like Amarok or TB3 to name just two ...there was no UK TV ad for TB3 even when Q magazine surprisingly ( based on previous album reviews ) gave it 4 stars !   :(  :)

But he did promote TB3 in other ways. He did the Horseguards concert and probably the best live performance I've ever seen him do on Jules Hollands show. TB3 did end up doing quite well, it got into the UK top 5 for a couple of weeks which isn't bad going. Amarok is another story. Virgin had all but given up on him just as he had given up on Virgin by that point. To be fair on Virgin for a moment and to also be realistic about things - just how do you go about promoting Amarok anyway? Mike wasn't playing live at all at that point so doing it that route was out. And it is an album that no matter how much you and I may love it to death it isn't everyone's cup of tea to put it mildly. It is the dictionary definition of a cult album.

The Songs of Distant Earth was promoted well, big adverts on the TV and in magazines. Didn't end up doing that well of course but the blame can't be thrown at WEA's feet. Voyager did pretty well for Mike though , caught on the tail end of the worlds obsession at the time with all things celtic brought on by Riverdance which was massive at the time.

I think with MOTS you've got a lot of elements coming together at the same time which work in its favor. Firstly its a genuinely good album. Secondly its got musical connections with TB. Thirdly its got Hayley Westenra singing on it. Fourthly its got  Karl Jenkins name attached to it. And lastly its a piece of modern classical music so is very easily marketed at a certain demographic which is something record companies love and its something Mike has had huge problems with over his career. Its easily pigeon holed so the marketing people know exactly how to do it and where to push it.

And obviously that is all happening right as we speak and is hugely paying off by the sounds of things which is great. Its a big shame this album didn't happen 5 or 6 years ago otherwise I'm sure we would have had a few more albums like this from Mike (I would love to hear a classical MO album that wasn't based around TB - maybe it'll still happen yet) and he would have been a bit more successful both commercially and artistically and maybe he wouldn't have ended up being the bitter and jaded character he seems to have become in recent times.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 16:30

Play would have sold a lot more if they had advertised that they had some signed copies. That would have boosted their sales.

Listened more today and getting to like it more and more. There are some bits I think are too suggary but some things are quite subtle and take a few listens. Love the fanfare bit and the lovely strings riff. The harp bit reminds of Tubular Bells 2.
Profile PM WEB 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 21:32

I have always hated the download options but maybe things has changed and somebody can enlighten me?

There used to be limitations on how many times you could copy your  (bought and paid for) music file and even limitations to how many times you could burn it.  And Itunes (if I remember correct) would only allow you to use the file on a appleplayer (ipod and such)

When I change the music on my mp3player I always empty it total and then reload the music I want at the moment and thus I really quickly use my 10 times of copy to player option.
Has it changed, is it nowadays allowed to ACTUALLY use the music that you paid for as you wish? - somebody please?
119 replies since Mar. 16 2008, 22:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net