Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres 2 CD Limited Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 02 2008, 20:54

A 2 CD limited edition of Music of the Spheres will be released on November 24, containing the studio version and the live version recorded at the Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao. Preorder it at Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk.

Update, Oct 19: view a high resolution version of the album artwork, courtesy of Universal, here. We're told it will be released in special packaging, making it perfect as a gift. Additionally, Music Week has reported that Music of the Spheres has been the 2nd biggest selling classical album this year; with Christmas just around the corner and a tasty stocking filler like this on the market, it can only be set to climb higher!

Grazie mile, mikeoldfield.it, tubular_trekkie, Universal Music and Chris Simmons.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 02 2008, 22:10

:) Seems to be a nice gift for Christmas !
Profile PM 
Burning Fish Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 01:58

Now we didn't saw that one coming, did we? ;)

--------------
"Lemon curry?"
Profile PM WEB 
MrRcorn Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 04:31

Damn it, I would have liked this ver, But I already have the 1st CD. Pooh.

MrRCorn
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 07:01

Now I'm thinking of giving my MOTS to uncle and buying this one.  :D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 07:09

Quite often - unlike the case with pop concerts - you can't tell the difference between a concert recording and a studio recording of a classical piece (except for people in the audience coughing, of course). I wouldn't bother with this one.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 08:49

I wouldn't, either. The recording I have of the Bilbao show is the one I bought on iTunes, which is not the best possibly quality, but what the f..., it sounds the same as the studio recording. You're perfectly right here, Daniel/nightspore. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 09:10

I will by this record, the old one is scratched. ;)
And 24th is me birthday.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 20:23

What a Christimas gift...for those who don't have the studio and the live version...as for the fans...not worthy at all  :/

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2008, 01:05

I didn't download the live version from iTunes, (I always prefer to have a hardcopy) so I'd like to have this. I'm just undecided whether to buy it, myself, or put it on my wishlist.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2008, 04:12

Yes!!!!! I knew it!!!!!  :D  Good thing I also waited for this to be released on cd. I didn't bother to buy this on iTunes. Now I can buy MOTS live and listen to it on proper cd quality!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 04 2008, 09:44

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Oct. 04 2008, 06:12)
Now I can buy MOTS live and listen to it on proper cd quality!

Yep...that's really true.And I'll get the MOTS combo.And I'm going to have a spare copy of MOTS.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2008, 12:47

Are there any more detail's on this product, specifically the packageing.
Apart from the fact it is a 2cd box set, will there be anything else ie, booklet pictures, postcard's and the like, I'd hope to think there will be.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2008, 15:10

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Oct. 04 2008, 17:47)
Apart from the fact it is a 2cd box set, will there be anything else ie, booklet pictures, postcard's and the like, I'd hope to think there will be.

It would be nice to think there would be something of that nature relating to the Bilbao performance I agree.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2008, 21:55

Wouldn't you just know it?  Well, why should Virgin be the only ones guilty of double-dipping?  Or triple?  Or quadruple?  Or...

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 05 2008, 13:15

Quote (Dirk Star @ Oct. 04 2008, 17:10)
Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Oct. 04 2008, 17:47)

It would be nice to think there would be something of that nature relating to the Bilbao performance I agree.

This premiere has a strange lack of pictures,I can remember just 3-4 of them that appeared officially.

(female excited mode on)Mike looked sooo sexy with suit and tie - very rare to see him dressed that way - pity the pictures didn't show him a lot(female excited mode off)

Maybe a teaser of the footage of the premiere would be nice to see...even it was recorded with only one cam!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2008, 13:23

Even better than few pictures and a new write up, how about the Bilbao concert on DVD, but come to think of it that will probably be next year on the triple disc triple deluxe triple price special edition.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2008, 14:02

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Oct. 05 2008, 18:23)
Even better than few pictures and a new write up, how about the Bilbao concert on DVD, but come to think of it that will probably be next year on the triple disc triple deluxe triple price special edition.

:laugh: Maybe they`ll give it a little more than a year out of some sort of "respect" I guess.But you can almost see that whole triple she-bang coming I must admit...
Profile PM 
Tim Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Oct. 06 2008, 01:26

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 03 2008, 13:49)
I wouldn't, either. The recording I have of the Bilbao show is the one I bought on iTunes, which is not the best possibly quality, but what the f..., it sounds the same as the studio recording. You're perfectly right here, Daniel/nightspore. ;)

Whilst I'm somewhat frustrated that this release comes after the "special" release of the Bilbao concert on iTunes, I have to say that I find the assertion that the studio and live recordings are the same somewhat bizarre, considering the deeply analytical nature of the discussions had on here. Of course, they're recordings of the same score, but they're by different performers working under a different conductor. It could be argued that those of us lucky enough to attend the concert in Bilbao are interpreting the recordings differently, but I don't think that's the case here; there are clear differences between the two recordings which I think make hearing both worthwhile. I'd not argue that either is inferior or superior in terms of how much you might enjoy it, but the live version certainly has a few rough edges. There are several parts which are clearly wrong, but at the same time, it's vibrant and interesting in its own way.

--------------
tim@tubular.net
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2008, 05:16

I guess if you are a fan of Mike's you would have to buy the cd just to complement your cd collection. Personally i am looking forward to buying this.

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
34 replies since Oct. 02 2008, 20:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net