Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: More rock album news< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
El Mystico Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 11 2012, 07:28

I find it a bit ironic; I thought one of the reasons he got fed up with Virgin was because they were 'encouraging' him to write shorter songs instead of long instrumentals...and now he is in a position to do whatever he wants, what does he choose?

Still, I'll be buying it, and probably loving it!
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2012, 07:30

Quote (El Mystico @ Dec. 11 2012, 07:28)
I find it a bit ironic; I thought one of the reasons he got fed up with Virgin was because they were 'encouraging' him to write shorter songs instead of long instrumentals...and now he is in a position to do whatever he wants, what does he choose?

Still, I'll be buying it, and probably loving it!

History tends to repeat itself. Perhaps after this he will be working on an album similar in concept of Amarok. What I mean is one 60 minute long badass track of pure listening pleasure.
Or perhaps not. :)
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2012, 07:32

The thing about Mike Oldfield is, he's an enigma, and changes his mind and opinion at will, but to be honest, that is one of the reasons I like him so much ;)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2012, 09:04

Quote (El Mystico @ Dec. 11 2012, 07:28)
I find it a bit ironic; I thought one of the reasons he got fed up with Virgin was because they were 'encouraging' him to write shorter songs instead of long instrumentals

Now wait a minute...Mike hasn't said anything about the length of these new "rock" songs, has he?   :O

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
spark Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2012, 09:45

Glad to hear Mikes using a producer.
He needs one to keep him from going off on a tangent.

Trevor Horn done a great job on TB2 and I think Steve Lipson will do the same, as long as Mike trusts him .
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 11 2012, 09:48

I seem to remember him once mentioning Amarok in the same breath as complaining about not wanting to do albums where someone else is "telling him what to do"...so I rather suspect that him changing his mind about past decisions is also often connected with him deciding that they were someone else's idea!

It feels to me like Mike's always had a certain fascination with songs, if only because they've perhaps felt like an alien world to him at times. If I'm not mistaken, he tried collaborating with a songwriter after Tubular Bells - I think it was with Richard Thompson, though he might even have contacted a few - and of course with Ommadawn, On Horseback appeared, Mike evidently having decided he could write songs on his own. Then, of course, he's said a few times how Moonlight Shadow came out of him wanting to have a hit single...so I think maybe the songs thing has always had two sides to it (and I don't just mean the A side and the B side of the singles ;)).
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2012, 10:31

I think he has proved he is capable of writing songs, even if lyrics aren't his strong point, but I just think he feels his best voice is his guitar :)
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2012, 13:46

remember "Man in the Rain" from TB3? He has done songs after leaving Virgin, but thats pop and not rock
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 11 2012, 16:36

Quote (falk @ Dec. 11 2012, 18:46)
remember "Man in the Rain" from TB3? He has done songs after leaving Virgin, but thats pop and not rock

But Man in the Rain was originally written… ages ago, just after Moonlight Shadow (according to Mike in one interview).

He seemed to be reworking it again around the time of Islands with Barry Palmer singing it (according to an interview with Barry Palmer), then again around the time of Heaven's Open (although that version seemed to have turned into the title track of that album).
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 11 2012, 22:25

I don't understand the success of progressive bands like Yes and Rush. Not my thing at all. It sounds to me like they are trying to do Amarok music but fall completely short on all levels. Yet people who like them like them a lot. It's like wine, I hate wine and I feel I'm missing something. The only album I like is Talk, but I believe most people don't like the album a lot.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2012, 04:18

Quote (falk @ Dec. 11 2012, 13:46)

One Mans Pop is Another Mans rock :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2012, 07:38

Quote (3Wheeler @ Dec. 12 2012, 04:18)
One Mans Pop is Another Mans rock :cool:

Wise words 3Wheeler!  :D Something to remember when times are tough.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2012, 16:50

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Dec. 11 2012, 07:32)
The thing about Mike Oldfield is, he's an enigma, and changes his mind and opinion at will, but to be honest, that is one of the reasons I like him so much ;)

Yes, that seemed to be true to me as well! For many other musicians you have an expirience of their style, after listening the first three records. You may guess how the songs on the next record could sound. That is the point, when the things starts to be boring. Mike and other special musicians are really able to refind a new world in a new record they bring out. That makes the magic, if fans are able to follow the new direction. The success isn't always guaranteed, as we had seen in Mikes past, but the things still keeps exciting.

What I would like to hear again in the new songs, is a song arrangement for more than one vocal. Songs like "Five Miles out" or "Pictures in the Dark" are something Oldfield-special in the course, how they are developed. Other musicians doing duetts or take a choir for the refrain. Mikes arrangements in these two examples are a bit more complex. That would be cool to hear it again. Another of my imaginations / wishes / dreams is an construct of a track, where the songs are part of an longer instrumental, as on Crisis or Taurus II. But, what we hear about the new project until now doesnt sounds like that. I dont know, whether a professional producer would like ideas like that, but I expect, that Steve Lipson, who has worked for very different projects and musicians, try to promote Mikes special properties, as long they are not too ... strange. What is Mikes first prioraty this time?? A commercial successful comeback or working out his personal experiences as musical artist. Does he see a realistic chance to be succesful again, like in the early eighties?? Seemed to be a hard job. But hey, has anyone awaited, that Mike would take such an important role in the olympic openings this year. ;-)

Oh, its now exciting again to be a fan of Mike Oldfield!!
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Dec. 13 2012, 15:21

Quote (Olivier @ Dec. 12 2012, 04:25)
I don't understand the success of progressive bands like Yes and Rush. Not my thing at all. It sounds to me like they are trying to do Amarok music but fall completely short on all levels. Yet people who like them like them a lot. It's like wine, I hate wine and I feel I'm missing something. The only album I like is Talk, but I believe most people don't like the album a lot.

I like Yes, even their album Talk, a lot and I like quite a lot of what Rush has released. And I do even like wine very much!

:p

Two dark eyes from the doorway shine, so you lost your dream in a bottle of wine.

:laugh:
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2012, 01:55

i've tried to listen rush many many times but never got to liking them. this new album was different, somehow easy to listen, i almost like that album

and back to topic

mike rocks :cool:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2012, 10:31

I'm a rare example of an Oldfield fan who likes both the long instrumentals and the pop songs :)

When it comes to songwriting, some of Earthmoving tracks are really, really good -- Hostage in particular, with its sampled spoken intro, could be re-recorded today with help from Karl Bartos and be an amazing electrorock classic. North Point has gorgeous, touching lyrics and THAT guitar solo. Five Miles Out puts chills up my spine. With many of them production has aged, which is largely due to the fact pop as a genre evolves very quickly (play any of those "hits of the 80s" compilations and tell me WHICH songs haven't aged). But he is a brilliant songwriter.

Production-wise I would like him to work with someone reeeeally different from Mike himself. Jacknife Lee would be amazing -- cross Mike's songwriting with a sound like Bloc Party's Intimacy and I am sold. (Well I am sold anyway, I'm simple like that, unless it sounds like "Guitars" or "Millennium Bell".) But while Stephen Lipson is a safer choice, he also comes with my seal of approval. He worked with Rolling Stones, Propaganda, Annie Lennox and Pet Shop Boys, so obviously there is quite a range to his experience.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2013, 15:56

If somebody told you you must be on the beach for every single day of your life, you'd probably reject that person.

But that doesn't mean sooner or later you're not gonna pop in there to have a swim and a nice sunbathing!!!

The artist needs his freedom.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Xavi Martinez Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2013, 21:41

I am an example of someone who loves the rockier side of Mike (Crises, Discovery, Five Miles Out), but to this date still doesn't get Amarok nor any of his "electronica" work.......so I am really really looking to this one.

I think Discovery was the last album I can say I like in full, also the Wind chimes and part of voyager.......

I guess we all have a different view about his body of work :)

I think that someone on his 60's (or close to it) and after a long career will publish the music he wants to do, simply put.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2013, 12:04

There are now 11 demos as confirmed by Mike on his Facebook page and recording of the album will commence in a couple of months.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 14 2013, 18:55

Quote (Chicular @ Jan. 13 2013, 04:04)
There are now 11 demos as confirmed by Mike on his Facebook page and recording of the album will commence in a couple of months.

Does anyone know if the new album has halted work on the deluxe Rereleases ?
Profile PM 
64 replies since Dec. 07 2012, 08:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net