Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's Autobiography Gets a Name, Changeling< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 24 2006, 22:55

According to the 24 November 2006 edition of The Independent, Mike Oldfield's autobiography will be titled Changeling and published by Virgin in May. The complete blurb may be found here. Thanks to Tati for her vigilance! According to Thomas Shlueck, the book will contain 288 pages as well as illustrations.

Update: You can preorder Changeling at Amazon.co.uk.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Morti Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 25 2006, 01:18

I think the link's broken. Tati's one worked.

--------------
The ear worm became the synonym for the commercial side of MIKE OLDFIELD.
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2006, 05:43

Quote (Morti @ Nov. 25 2006, 07:18)
I think the link's broken. Tati's one worked.

Yeah, there's a 'y' missing from the word "enjoyment" in the link.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2006, 13:20

Fixed....very weird, as I really did preview the link.  :/

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2006, 14:02

Isn't it a bit odd that it's to be published by Virgin? What happened to "Fuck You RB"?  :O

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2006, 19:51

IMHO the best candidates to publish Mike's book had been Virgin Publishing or Helter Skelter Publishing (because Jon Collins has worked with HSP on other books). Mike made his peace with RB a long time ago, IIR, and somehow it seems fitting, eh? Hope it sells phenomenally well! It seems too bad that it wasn't ready for the Proms. But....it will be ready for the next Hay-on-Wye literary festival at the end of May. Sting was there promoting his book the year my daughters and I popped by, so there is a precedent. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2006, 07:20

I do like the title, Changeling. That would make a good title for Mike's next album ;-)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2006, 11:14

Quote (timshen @ Nov. 26 2006, 07:20)
I do like the title, Changeling. That would make a good title for Mike's next album ;-)

I find it hard to pronounce that word... hehehe... but it looks nice!

what does it mean?  :)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Ingvar V Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2006, 12:09

I once saw a movie called The Changeling (1980) with George C. Scott. The film is about a ageing music composer who,after a car accident in which his family are killed, buys a mansion. All is well to start with but then there is loud banging at night and soon we see a medium being called in to find the ghost of a young boy...
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2006, 12:47

Quote (Ingvar V @ Nov. 26 2006, 12:09)
I once saw a movie called The Changeling (1980) with George C. Scott. The film is about a ageing music composer who,after a car accident in which his family are killed, buys a mansion. All is well to start with but then there is loud banging at night and soon we see a medium being called in to find the ghost of a young boy...

Hmm... Mikes book promises to be a nervewrecking story then!!  ;)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Ingvar V Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2006, 12:59

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Nov. 26 2006, 12:47)
Hmm... Mikes book promises to be a nervewrecking story then!!  ;)

It sure looks like he's referring to this movie...hmm...he's, then, both the composer and the boy -- and the author of his biography comes in as the medium...sumthin' like that  :cool:
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2006, 13:42

One reason Mike may have chosen 'Changeling' as the title is 'The Changeling' was the title of a classic episode of the original STAR TREK series which I believe also formed the basis for the story of the first STAR TREK film ? .. We know Mike is a massive Star Trek fan !

Neil
:D
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2006, 16:11

Some news at last!!and how nice of Mike to donate the first 2 years book royalties to charity.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2006, 10:02

Quote (larstangmark @ Nov. 25 2006, 14:02)
Isn't it a bit odd that it's to be published by Virgin? What happened to "Fuck You RB"?  :O

I'd heard that the two had somewhat reconciled. Remember Branson's appearance at the TB3 debut concert, clearly seen in the video.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2006, 10:08

Quote (HuanCry @ Nov. 26 2006, 13:42)
One reason Mike may have chosen 'Changeling' as the title is 'The Changeling' was the title of a classic episode of the original STAR TREK series which I believe also formed the basis for the story of the first STAR TREK film ? .. We know Mike is a massive Star Trek fan !

Neil

The first "Star Trek" film was actually a combination of "Changeling" and "The Doomsday Machine". Alan Dean Foster (the writer) just took the man-sized machine seeking its creator in "Changeling" and made it also a vast destructive juggernaut like in "The Doomsday Machine".

I guess the "Star Trek" filmmakers did not feel that that the ideas were completely tapped out with the first movie. The "huge planet-destroying alien machine coming to Earth to communicate" idea appeared later in "Star Trek IV".

The "Changeling" name itself appears later in "Star Trek": not as an episode name, but as one of the species-names of an alien race of shapeshifters.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2006, 19:37

Link:http://www.publishingnews.co.uk/pn/pno_news15.asp

Oldfield to donate autobiography money

ROCK GUITARIST MIKE Oldfield, who is writing his autobiography for Virgin, has announced that he will donate all proceeds from the book for the first two years to the mental health charity SANE. On publication he will also auction the guitar that was used on his classic Seventies album Tubular Bells, in aid of the charity.
  The phenomenal success of Tubular Bells led to mental health problems for Oldfield who commented: “For some time I have wanted to tell my story, particularly the dark and difficult times I went through when I was making my early albums. This book is my way of off-loading the past, and I hope it will help others as they face up to challenges in their lives.”
  Virgin will publish Changeling: The Autobiography of Mike Oldfield in May 2007.

Neil
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2006, 06:45

Quote (Ingvar V @ Nov. 26 2006, 12:09)

Who? Aled Jones?

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Ingvar V Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2006, 10:22

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ Nov. 28 2006, 06:45)
Who? Aled Jones?

Hmmm...lets hope NOT.

It also seems that the he is referring to Star Trek, not an old mystery-movie. I should have known that...I mean, the only Trek(ish)-movie I have seen is Galaxy Quest with Alan Rickman (a strolling player) and it was great. It spares you the rest of the Trek  :D
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 28 2006, 12:00

Quote (hiawatha @ Nov. 27 2006, 16:02)
Quote (larstangmark @ Nov. 25 2006, 14:02)

I'd heard that the two had somewhat reconciled. Remember Branson's appearance at the TB3 debut concert, clearly seen in the video.

hehe before i thought it was hes father..
:laugh:

they are kind of alike..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2006, 15:19

...and Jon Collins(co-writer) confirms Neil's lastest post and adds more:

http://www.joncollins.net/wordpre....ngeling

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
59 replies since Nov. 24 2006, 22:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net