Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike selects the new Euphonix 5-MC mixer< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 17 2006, 20:04

Mike Oldfield has just acquired a new digital mixer linked to his Logic Pro software: an Euphonix System 5-MC. Euphonix has a press release with an interview and a photo of Mike, more at ease with knobs than a mouse. Mike will use it to re-master old projects in 5.1.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 17 2006, 21:51

Besides looking very cutie,here are my fav quotes:

“When I discovered the Euphonix System 5-MC, I knew this was exactly what I needed, because much of my music—particularly the early instrumental works such as Tubular Bells—were made in the mix."

"I’m currently involved in re-mastering a number of previous projects into 5.1 surround sound, so this capability represents a significant benefit for me.”

“The last project I worked on was a double album,and I used the Mac and Logic Pro with lots of plug-ins exclusively. It was somewhat of an experiment to determine if I could work without a mixer at all. I found that changing various aspects of the mix in real time such as EQ and echo sends is extremely difficult to do with the mouse, and while I was able to work without a mixer, I relied too heavily on plug-ins and automation. In the process, I somewhat lost the human ‘feel’ of making music. This is when I realized just how essential the mixer really is.”

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
MrRcorn Offline

Posted: July 18 2006, 04:09

"I’m currently involved in re-mastering a number of previous projects into 5.1 surround sound, so this capability represents a significant benefit for me.”

Does this mean where not getting a NEW album untill the re-mixes are done, I would prefer a new Album then a remix....
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: July 18 2006, 04:27

Cool stuff. Does anyone know how much such toys cost?  ;)

amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: July 18 2006, 05:01

Well I think this sounds really encouraging. Lots of talk about a human feel in the recording process. Sounds like he's rediscovering his mojo to me.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 18 2006, 06:58

Quote (MrRcorn @ July 18 2006, 10:09)

Does this mean where not getting a NEW album untill the re-mixes are done, I would prefer a new Album then a remix....

looks like there is more then just one album he will re-master?

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: July 18 2006, 07:07

Good news.
I Just hope he is also working on some new stuf like that piece of classical music that he talked about on bbcradio.
I just dont need any 5.1 mixes, its stil old material and I have those already.
:/
Profile PM 
iGav Offline

Posted: July 18 2006, 08:13

I think that's great news, and also I welcome the idea of Mike inspiring himself again by remixing his older classic albums.

Having listened to many of them recently, it's noticeable how little variation in tone, rhythm and style Mike's been using.

I'm really looking forward to a new album from Mike, but I really want to hear an album that truly reflects his talents and makes the rest of the world sit up and take note of what a great musician he really is
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 18 2006, 08:21

Seems quite promissing...the autobiog has made a difference on him !

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 18 2006, 10:20

I'm really happy Mike's back on the good ol' hardware mixing. :) The last album did indeed sound somewhat "soulless" with his software mixing and everything.

Sometimes I compare Mike to Stanley Kubrick. Everytime a new project starts he uses the latest technology which is available at that time, and really uses it to its depths until the project is finished. After that he "throws" the technology away and starts with something new. So I was really dissapointed to read that Mike had sold his big mixing desk and went on with the Fruityloops software and all. But now he's got his "Star Trek" desk again. ;) (I hope he has thrown Fruityloops away though)

It is also dissapointing that Mike is remixing some of his older projects into 5.1 surround. I thought he was kinda through with it. I still think music sounds its best on stereo, and Mike's albums sound great so why bother?? L&S wasn't in 5.1 either. I think it's easy money again.

We're still looking forward to that next project Mike. :) That piece of classical/instrumental music you talked about.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Bastian Offline

Posted: July 18 2006, 12:48

These are very exciting news! :-) And I look forward to the new album and to surround remixes of his older albums. Surround sound can give so much more depth to music. :-)

--------------
Bastian
-==Take a walk until the next dawn ==-
-== In the winter, rain and storms  ==-
Profile PM WEB 
Woodlander Offline

Posted: July 18 2006, 13:26

I agree with Bastian. I look forward to the new album and the 5.1 mixes of the older albums aswell. I would love to hear them in surround. Mike has already decided to take a long time to write and record the new album, so I do not think that him making these remixes will influence the releasedate of the new album that much.

Who knows, maybe he will throw in a couple of bonus tracks or hidden gems from his cupboard on these 5.1 mixes. :)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 18 2006, 16:05

I kind of thought that everybody was through with 5.1 mixes. The idea of 5.1, as far as music is concerned, seems to have not taken off which is actually what a lot of people in the industry said. Still if remixing Ommadawn or Amarok puts him back in touch with what made those albums so special then I think thats a great thing. Also its interesting and somewhat relieving to hear that he himself thinks L+S lacked warmth and the human touch.

Its quite weird him saying that he regards mixing as like a 'performance' David Gilmour recently said exactly the same thing and there was an interview with the Chemical Brothers last year where they said that their live performances were them basically just mixing their music live on stage (very loudly I might add)
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: July 18 2006, 16:19

As it seems that Mercury will get Mike's back catalogue in 2008, it is quite possible a new bunch of 5:1 remixes of some good old albums...
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 19 2006, 18:29

I'd rather see old material being released on cd than the same material that's already out being mixed on 5.1 surround. There's so much stuff that hasn't been properly released on cd of Mike. We've got Pipe Tune, Ommadawn 7" mix, Froggy-went-a-courting, Passed you By, Sutton-Hoo, unreleased Killing Fields material... etc. etc.

Now THAT would make me exciting!

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
OneGeneratuonTooLate Offline

Posted: July 19 2006, 20:43

a 5.1 of Ommadawn or Amarok would be awesome.. and Hergest Ridge need's to be properly remastered, the HDCD sounds pretty muddy still.
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 19 2006, 21:05

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ July 19 2006, 23:29)
There's so much stuff that hasn't been properly released on cd of Mike. We've got Pipe Tune, Ommadawn 7" mix, Froggy-went-a-courting, Passed you By, Sutton-Hoo, unreleased Killing Fields material... etc. etc.

Now THAT would make me exciting!

BTW what's the "Sutton Hoo piece please, despite looking I can;tfind reference to that  :/ . I had to pose this question ,otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep, not having asked it.

Ommadawn 7" Mix??? I didn't know there was a 7" mix of Ommadawn  :/ .

Agreed I'd like to see Mike's rarities on CD  :cool: .
Time for sleep, Goodnight Folks  :zzz: .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
OneGeneratuonTooLate Offline

Posted: July 19 2006, 23:19

I believe it was released as a single in '75, titled "The Theme from Ommadawn".
Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: July 20 2006, 03:51

Has anyone heard the 7" mix of Hergest Ridge, now that is weird, it's the whole album cut and spliced and condensed into a single.

Theme from Tubular Bells would be good on cd also. I didn't realise until recently that it's a rerecording of a section of part 2.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 20 2006, 09:15

Quote (moonchildhippy @ July 20 2006, 03:05)

BTW what's the "Sutton Hoo piece please, despite looking I can;tfind reference to that  :/ . I had to pose this question ,otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep, not having asked it.

Ommadawn 7" Mix??? I didn't know there was a 7" mix of Ommadawn  :/ .

Agreed I'd like to see Mike's rarities on CD  :cool: .
Time for sleep, Goodnight Folks  :zzz: .

Hi moonchildhippy :)

Sutton Hoo is a documentary made around '85 for which Mike made the music. You can find a piece of video on the google video page. Just surft to video.google.com and type in the search engine "sutton hoo". Enjoy

Ommadawn 7" was on a french 7" single of Ommadawn. You can find it on Rainer Muenz' collection.

You see, there is a lot of material people don't know about which could and can be released on cd! That would make me more happy than a 5.1 mix of an album that already sounds good.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
33 replies since July 17 2006, 20:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net