Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike on Five Miles Out and Crises remixes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 01 2013, 12:49

"Just got some of the multi tracks and spent the morning listening in rough 5.1. They sound perfect ! Just as good as they ever were and some tracks like Family Man really ROCK in 5.1. There is an old version of the song Five Mile Out on this master wich is great but is not the one that got used. They tell me there are some more Multi Masters in the oven over the weekend so I'm hopeful the actual Master will be on those reels."
     I'm really looking forward to this reissue.......Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2013, 13:44

This all sounds very positive from Mike. He is really sounding happy and relaxed about his music these days, all that sun and fresh air is doing him wonders :)
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2013, 15:30

I think that fmo and crises are the better part of the 80´s popmusic. Moonlight shadow still glows where much else fade. This could be a very interesting couple of re-releases.
Profile PM 
gths Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2013, 02:12

Well revisiting Moonlight Shadow should be interesting - he comped a lot of the vocals on that right down to the individual syllables, didn't he? And did it with tape splicing.

It's a bit weird to think what took him months can be done relatively quickly these days using digital editing.

I agree that not much has to be done with the mix on the Crises album though, aside from doing the 5.1 version.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2013, 04:27

I wonder if we'll get to hear the version if Moonlight Shadow with Hazel O'Connor?
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2013, 06:33

Oh yes, Hazel O'Connors voice and her kind of music is so different. I can't imagine Moonlight Shadow with Hazel. It is a soft folk song and what I heard from Hazel (not that much) doesnt match it. She did more elektro pop / punk things which stands opposite to Mike style in the early eighties. Is this story really true?

I think, Maggie Reilly's voice has been really important for the success of moonlight shadow. The relation between Mike and Maggie did'nt seemed to be perfect, since today - what is such a shame. Her voice is still one of the most beautiful female voices, I ever heard. And some of Mikes most successful years, are these Maggie-years.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2013, 12:37

Quote (Nezzico @ Feb. 02 2013, 11:33)
Oh yes, Hazel O'Connors voice and her kind of music is so different. I can't imagine Moonlight Shadow with Hazel. It is a soft folk song and what I heard from Hazel (not that much) doesnt match it. She did more elektro pop / punk things which stands opposite to Mike style in the early eighties. Is this story really true?

I think, Maggie Reilly's voice has been really important for the success of moonlight shadow. The relation between Mike and Maggie did'nt seemed to be perfect, since today - what is such a shame. Her voice is still one of the most beautiful female voices, I ever heard. And some of Mikes most successful years, are these Maggie-years.

I think you see Moonlight Shadow as a "soft folk" song, because that is how Maggie sung it.

Each singer will bring a different feel, which will influence the music direction too.

So, I for one would love to hear O'Connors version, and to hear how Mik adapted to her voice, or if he forced her to sing differently from her normal way.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2013, 04:09

"Cara Dillons" Vocal on "Man in the Rain" is a Dead ringer for Maggie Reilly..   Maybe MO wanted someone to do it that way.. Probably the same for Moonlight Shadow with Hazel O Connor . Most of these top performers can Adapt  .. Although maybe it didn't sound just Right..   Sort of Rather hear the Other artists own version of things... If its to Close whats the point Really. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2013, 05:42

What the hell is a Dead ringer  :O ??? If you mean, that Cara has made it very well, instead of Maggie I'm with you. Man in the Rain is a really great song -  some say too close to Moonlight Shadow, but it does'mt matter to me - it is a friendly warm song for itself. Crime of Passion - had the same problem, as well I love it.

@olracUK Of course you are right. Different singers can deliver a totaly different result with the same song. Maybe we get this version of Hazel, to compare, should be interesting to compare it. Still I suspect, that I wont like it but good surprises are always welcome  :D
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2013, 14:08

I can't wait for these re-issues.  The rumored 1940's version of FMO is hopefully going on.  Along with the O'Connor version of MS.  Hearing alternative takes, remixes, and not just 5.1, will make a nice well-rounded package.  Both albums are my personal pop favorites from the 80's.  Hopefully these will be available towards the middle to end of the year.  It's a Tubular Year indeed :)
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2013, 16:38

1940 ... Swing and FMO??? Hmm...
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2013, 11:50

1940 ... Swing and FMO??? Hmm...

Well, we had a swinging tubular bells at the Olympics and that made me laugh out loud (in a good way).

I can sort of imagine a 1920s Cole Porter version of FMO, with the sound of 1920s planes of course.

p.s. for all those who don't know I am AKA BornintheUK... reborn as Platinumpty.... it's a long story!
Profile PM WEB 
31 replies since Jan. 28 2013, 21:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net