Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike on Echoes, glimpse of the rerecording of TB< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 14 2002, 22:02

Echoes radio stations will be featuring Mike Oldfield (2 new photos on the page):
Thursday 10/17, Saturday 10/19, Sunday 10/20
MIKE OLDFIELD'S VIRTUAL MUSIC
Mike Oldfield is an icon of modern instrumental music, best known for his debut album, Tubular Bells.  Over the last few years, Oldfield has been developing a music based computer game called MUSIC VR and he's scored a soundtrack to go along with it, TRES LUNAS, (Warner Bros. UK). We visit the legendary musician in his estate outside of London where he talks about his game and plays it for us.  We also get a sneak glimpse of his new recording of "Tubular Bells", set for release in the 30th anniversary year of 2003.

Read the comments for details and MP3.
Profile PM 
seb oldfelid Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 15 2002, 15:15

Does anyone know where you can hear this radio station on the net ?

Regards

Zinc
Profile PM 
Xqwitxztixs
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 15 2002, 16:21

I'm wondering what time it will be broadcasted..
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2002, 17:15

Here is a page where you can find stations that send this intervju online.

http://www.echoes.org/stattime.html   :D

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2002, 18:07

You see,the Echoes´ origin is from the US...maybe that helps to promote Mike there... :p

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Fox Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2002, 18:49

Natch...he only sells albums in the USA when he calls them Tubular Bells.  :laugh:
Profile PM 
iancampbell79 Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2002, 06:09

Can someone record the show for all of us not in the US who don't fancy getting up really early or staying up late to listen in?
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2002, 07:43

I found some stations with webcast and more friendly schedules (at least for Europeans) on the 'echoes' station list:
http://www.ksut.org/    5am-6am US-CO
http://kuniradio.org/    mid-2am US-IL/IO
http://www.wfuv.org/   3-5am US-NY
I'm afraid you'll have to correct for timezone offset yourself...
Andreas
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Oct. 16 2002, 13:27

Andreas,

Thanks for doing the leg-work on this! I live in the US, but don't recall ever listening to Echoes. In looking at the station locations, think I've always lived out of range--thank goodness for streaming!

Echoes seems like a very Mike-friendly program, indeed. In doing a quickie site search under "mike oldfield," a bunch of playlists were retrieved. They seem to play his music on a regular basis, including Tres Lunas back in August! They also are airing a lot of other good stuff, too!

It's great that some stations are streaming, but maybe those of us in the US who have local public broadcasting stations should be lobbying them to pick up the program.  Along with that will come not only a good program, but increased visibility for Mike's music.  

:)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2002, 15:06

I live in the US and under Tennessee it actually has the town I live in (Cookeville).  how bout that aye? :)  

I used to work for a public tv/radio station in Florida and it is no longer listed there.  The name of the program sounds familiar... probaby been told bout it before.  

It'll be interesting to hear the remake of TB on radio.  And Fox you are absolutely right bout that... only when he calls them Tubular Bells!! :(  Well atleast in the 90's and beyond.  Earlier works were fairly known round the country... (moonlight shadow, islands, five miles out, foreign affair).  

OT:  I was in a pub down in Florida this past week and met an older guy in a Gaelic band (Ceol Agus Craic)... and they kick much ass!!! :)  He played a few concerts round 83 and 84 with Mike.  And he also knows Vanessa Mae - the violinist.  

Cheers
Christopher
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2002, 02:51

For those who missed it, I've put a bandwidth reduced version (approx. 15 min/1MB at 16kbps mono) of just the interview, leaving out the CD tracks, here (hope Echoes doesn't mind, otherwise send me a mail...)  :
Mike's Interview at Echoes
In short :
- Some of the usual '73 TB1/Excorcist stuff by the moderator
- Some of the usual MVR explanations by Mike
- Some remarks by the (female) moderator about Mike's physical appearance
- Two short clips from the new TB recording, recorded via the studio monitor speakers.
first : Part1 distorted guitar piece at ~6:30
second : Part 1 doubled soft guitars at ~12:30
Both parts quite like the original, with minor differences in the timing.
- A final comment by the moderator about the non-US release of Tr3s Lunas :(
Profile PM WEB 
uspino
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 18 2002, 08:25

Thanks !
I only get a 8:02 minutes mp3 file. Is that the right duration of your mix ?
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2002, 10:33

Thanks Andreas!

I had tuned in on WXPN out of Philadelphia (http://www.xpn.org), which streams, and the interview wasn't carried. Then, this morning I realized that (duh!;) XPN must be a day behind, because they carried the interview with Erik Wollo which should have been on Wednesday, according to Echoes' schedule. So...maybe tonight they will broadcast Mike's. ?? Local US times: 11-1 Eastern; 10-12 Central. I'd still like to hear it in the context of the entire program, so will test my hypothesis and tune in. ((-:

The discussion about what to call TB30 was funny ("Tubular Bells in Tune, in Time").

--------------
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2002, 12:46

Umm. sorry - the 15min guesstimate was before cutting off the music track at the end (Fire Fly). The interview file is really a just little more than 8 min.
I'm sure you know where to get Tr3s Lunas MP3's in better quality...
If someone cannot play the file directly, try to donwload first and play from disk.
If you listen to the re-recorded snippets, it's IMHO really more kind of 'TB slightly out of time'...
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2002, 13:51

Thanks for that just downloaded it from you. From what you can hear of the new TB it does sound weirdly similar to the the original but with slight differences in the internations of the notes. Sounds interesting though.

ps. The question is though, just how much more charismatic  could that women presenter be?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2002, 18:33

INTERNATIONS???

I knew that musicians can sometimes get to such a level of utter madness that they have to be interned to have their problems resolved, but I've never heard that it could also happen to musical notes. :D  :D  :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 18 2002, 19:39

Hey Excellentio Thanks for recording and sharing that file A r Shulz much appreciated.Mikes new Tubey sounds real nice yippee.Oh and Toby I agree there those presenters sound really down beat hey perhaps they spend too much of their time in da living room.Hey get out more you hear you two you hear me!.......... shucks!! :p
Fox Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2002, 20:37

Thanks for the recording.  The new TB ("Tubular Bells in Tune", TBiT ;-) sounds interesting.  Can't wait to hear Cleese's MC.  From what I heard, I like the newly rerelayed instruments.

I still see no reason why Mike isn't more known in the US.  America's screaming for something different than what we usually get!  I just hate the fact that Mike only gets noticed when he calls his albums Tubular Bells.  I was hoping a game would give him a new audience around here.

I also want to know where the second Tres Lunas album he promised us is  haha!
:cool:
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2002, 23:26

My hypothesis was right...the broadcast will be streamed from http://xpn.org in about 1/2 hour from now (12pm eastern time). Two selections from T3L have already been played. The intro to the proggie was Firefly.

--------------
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2002, 19:07

UGO

Sorry I never went to school. That should have read INTOnations.......I think?
Profile PM 
25 replies since Oct. 14 2002, 22:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net