[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield's guitars for sale< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 28 2006, 03:33

Quote (Ray @ Feb. 27 2006, 18:51)
.... before Amrok, Mike mentioned he hadnt played most of the guitars he was selling since then and the flight case the LP junior TV came in - which was so obviously made for the guitar - had a Switzerland sticker on it.  I guess that's where Amrok was recorded - or some of it - anyone know anything about that. b but the point is..it's been effectively in storage.

The sticker probably remains from his trip to Siwtzerland in 1983/84, when he recorded Discovery over there. Or the hard case could have been used for another guitar, probably for the Gibson SG/Les Paul Junior which he used for the recording of Discovery (but I don´t know if it fits in the case).

Amarok was completely recorded in Roughwood Croft, Chalfont St. Giles.

In 1991 he took the TV model with him to Los Angeles. It can be seen next to him in his then studio:

Composer Of Tubular Bells Mike Oldfield

Composer Of Tubular Bells Mike Oldfield II
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2006, 04:20

Quote (yanouch65 @ Feb. 23 2006, 07:37)
Thank you manintherain!

I bought a Mike's guitar. It is the Gibson Les Paul jr SG 1961 with number 77138. Could you tell me if Mike had several Gibson 1961? The seller told me that it was used on Ommadawn! Is it true? If you have a couple of informations about it....it would be great!

Thank you

Hi yanouch65.

What a fine guitar you bought. Congratulations!

Thank you very much for sharing the details of your guitar. Sorry, but my french isn´t good either.

Here are some more details:

The Les Paul Junior was completely re-designed in 1961. The familiar single-cutaway body style was dropped, and the new instruments featured a radical double-cutaway body with highly sculpted edges. Initially, Gibson retained the Les Paul name on the re-designed version: on the headstock of the Junior.

During 1963 Gibson dropped the Les Paul name from the re-designed Les Paul Junior, and in their literature gradually renamed these instruments as the SG Junior.

There are a number of different stories concerning the eventual removal of Les Paul´s name from the newly-designed Gibson ‚SG/Les Paul‘ models in 1963. Ted McCarty, still president of Gibson, says that it was done because of various factors which made the association with Les Paul less of a commercial bonus than it had been. The main reason why Les Paul´s name was dropped from Gibson guitars in 1963 relates to the divorce of Les Paul and Mary Ford. The contract ended in ’62. Paul also says that he didn´t like the design of the new SG/Les Paul models, and that this was an additional reason for the removal of his name from them. It´s this reason which has most often been given prominence.

During 1961 inked-on numbering was replaced by a method using digits actually stamped into the back of the headstock. At this time gibson introduced a new serialization system for all instruments. These numbers were supposed to be allocated in a strict sequence, but this did´nt happen in practice – and the fun started. Many instruments from the 1960s carry duplicated serial numbers, used not only twice but sometimes as many as six or seven times on different guitars.

The Serial numbers give a rough guide to some of the sequences that Gibson used and duplicated between 1961 and 1975. The serial number series are broken down into thousands or groups of thousands. The dates are approximate, and can only really be used to confirm a broad period already indicated by more solid clues from the model type of the guitar in question, ist construction style and the components it uses.

71,000s to 99,000s 1962-1963

So your SG/Les Paul Junior is more likely to be a 1962 model rather than a 1961!

I haven´t figured out the differences yet to the other SG/Les Paul Junior which later became the ‚Gibsynth‘ (around 1979/1980), and which has been declared by Mike and Chandler as a 1963 model. One of these two has been used for the recording of Ommadawn in replacement for the 1966 SG Junior which Mike used for the recording of Hergest Ridge and which later got stolen at the Beacon (around 1975).

GIBSON SHIPPING TOTALS for ‚SG/Les Paul‘ Junior models:1961 2151 (includes some Les Paul Junior models); 1962 2395; 1963 2318 (includes some SG Junior models).

Hope that helps a little bit.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2006, 04:24

Quote (Ray @ Feb. 27 2006, 13:58)
7 2031.  I already chatted to Gibson about it but anymore ifno will be nice.  Cheers  Ray

But beware some of the Honoured Gentlement are Ladies!!!  If you want those serial number you better start grovelling!

First of all apologies to all the Honoured Ladies!!!
:/

Onto some details of your TV model:

In 1955 Gibson launched the Les Paul TV model, essentially a Junior in what Gibson referred to as ‚natural finish‘ (actuyll more of a yellow-ish beige color). A therory that the TV name refers to the pale color´s visual prominence on monochrome television seems unfounded, as does a suggestion that ‚TV‘ might be a less than oblique reference to the competing blond-colored Fender Telecaster. It seems more likely that the name have been coined to cash in on Paul´s regular appearances at the time on the TV show, Les Paul & Mary Ford at Home.

In 1953 a serial numbering system was instituted specifically for the new Gibson solidbodies. This initially comprised a five-digit number, inkstamped onto the rear of the headstock. The first digit was slightly apart from the other four and signified the year of manufacture. In 1955 increased output necessitated the addition of a sixth digit (located after the date code) to some sequences. In both styles, the first digit provides the date (7 = 1957).

GIBSON SHIPPING TOTALS for TV models:1957 - 552

So you have quite a rare item too! :cool:
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 28 2006, 09:09

Hi and thank you manintherain!

I am very pleased with this guitar. I often can see Mike with it on pictures or photos. Maybe, it is mine!

If anybody has any informations about this Mike's guitar.... it will be fine...

Regards

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2006, 14:52

Quote (manintherain @ Feb. 28 2006, 08:33)
Quote (Ray @ Feb. 27 2006, 18:51)
.... before Amrok, Mike mentioned he hadnt played most of the guitars he was selling since then and the flight case the LP junior TV came in - which was so obviously made for the guitar - had a Switzerland sticker on it.  I guess that's where Amrok was recorded - or some of it - anyone know anything about that. b but the point is..it's been effectively in storage.

The sticker probably remains from his trip to Siwtzerland in 1983/84, when he recorded Discovery over there. Or the hard case could have been used for another guitar, probably for the Gibson SG/Les Paul Junior which he used for the recording of Discovery (but I don´t know if it fits in the case).

Amarok was completely recorded in Roughwood Croft, Chalfont St. Giles.

In 1991 he took the TV model with him to Los Angeles. It can be seen next to him in his then studio:

Composer Of Tubular Bells Mike Oldfield

Composer Of Tubular Bells Mike Oldfield II

Not the SG - the foam is stuck in permenantly and looks original and the shap of the foam cutout is not that of an SG unless the earlyu SG's were the same shape (exactly) as the LP junior.  But thanks for the pics!!  Any more??  And.... I got to ask.. how come you know all this?

Cheers

Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2006, 17:27

I thought it was great that Mike sold any of his stuff in this way giving me and others the opportunity to own some of his old kit.  I can't see many other contemporaries doing the same.  A bit suprising about the TB telecaster though.,
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2006, 17:36

Absolutely, but The Tele is not sold yet!

--------------
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2006, 13:17

Quote (manintherain @ Feb. 28 2006, 09:24)
Quote (Ray @ Feb. 27 2006, 13:58)
7 2031.  I already chatted to Gibson about it but anymore ifno will be nice.  Cheers  Ray

But beware some of the Honoured Gentlement are Ladies!!!  If you want those serial number you better start grovelling!

First of all apologies to all the Honoured Ladies!!!
:/

Onto some details of your TV model:

In 1955 Gibson launched the Les Paul TV model, essentially a Junior in what Gibson referred to as ‚natural finish‘ (actuyll more of a yellow-ish beige color). A therory that the TV name refers to the pale color´s visual prominence on monochrome television seems unfounded, as does a suggestion that ‚TV‘ might be a less than oblique reference to the competing blond-colored Fender Telecaster. It seems more likely that the name have been coined to cash in on Paul´s regular appearances at the time on the TV show, Les Paul & Mary Ford at Home.

In 1953 a serial numbering system was instituted specifically for the new Gibson solidbodies. This initially comprised a five-digit number, inkstamped onto the rear of the headstock. The first digit was slightly apart from the other four and signified the year of manufacture. In 1955 increased output necessitated the addition of a sixth digit (located after the date code) to some sequences. In both styles, the first digit provides the date (7 = 1957).

GIBSON SHIPPING TOTALS for TV models:1957 - 552

So you have quite a rare item too! :cool:

M.I.T.R

I think I saw a picture of Mike with a gibson LP double cutaway, it looked white or very light coloured in the picteu but I can tfind the picture again.  Have you seen it?

Also what the gen on these guitars, is it just a Junior with two cutaways?

Ta

Ray

--------------
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2006, 08:25

Quote (Ray @ Feb. 28 2006, 14:52)
And.... I got to ask.. how come you know all this?

Cheers

Ray

I just happen to have collected a big pile of articles, newspapers and magazines throughout Mikes career. Some time ago I started listing all the guitars and keyboards used by him for his various recordings which later became the instrument list featured on this site.

I am particularly interested in the history of specific guitars - acoustic and electric, as well as playing some acoustic guitar at home.

I have also been in touch with almost all the information services dealing with Mike from the short-lived Official Mike Oldfield Fan Club in 1983 on.

Does that answer your question? :cool:
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2006, 08:29

Quote (Ray @ Mar. 01 2006, 13:17)
I think I saw a picture of Mike with a gibson LP double cutaway, it looked white or very light coloured in the picteu but I can tfind the picture again.  Have you seen it?

Also what the gen on these guitars, is it just a Junior with two cutaways?

@Ray

I can´t remember having seen Mike with a light coloured Gibson SG or SG/Les Paul model.

The only other instrument I know of was his 1966 Gibson SG Junior (Type 2) which had a different scratchplate. This was his first investment after the success of Tubular Bells and was used for the recording of Hergest Ridge. It got stolen in the Beacon in 1975.

I think I will provide the webmaster with a couple of scans showing Mike using his various axes. How´s that for a start?
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2006, 09:49

Wow! Impressive.  But I suppose i've spend that time learning rifs and visiting hergest ridge so I cant comment!!

I saw the picture in the gallery - so I found it again, but not sure if it is a LP, but it's a doubble cutaway - have a look - it's the photo of mike picking his nose! called Best picture of Mike Ever!.

Some more pics would be fine!!!!  Espicially including the LP TV,  Cheers Ray

--------------
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2006, 03:06

Quote (Ray @ Mar. 02 2006, 09:49)
Wow! Impressive.  But I suppose i've spend that time learning rifs and visiting hergest ridge so I cant comment!!

I saw the picture in the gallery - so I found it again, but not sure if it is a LP, but it's a doubble cutaway - have a look - it's the photo of mike picking his nose! called Best picture of Mike Ever!.

Some more pics would be fine!!!!  Espicially including the LP TV,  Cheers Ray

I have to admit that I´ve been to Hergest Ridge and the Beacon in 1992.  ;)

Now I know what you mean with the light-coloured Gibson. This is the Gibson Les Paul Special in ivory with gold knobs from around 1959. Although this too is a rare item and featured on the instrument list I don´t think it actually belonged to Mike. The only ever appearance of this guitar was for promotional shots for the sports company Puma in 1983. I have two or three more pictures of this which I will provide shortly.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2006, 09:33

Quote (manintherain @ Mar. 03 2006, 05:06)
Now I know what you mean with the light-coloured Gibson. This is the Gibson Les Paul Special in ivory with gold knobs from around 1959. Although this too is a rare item and featured on the instrument list I don´t think it actually belonged to Mike. The only ever appearance of this guitar was for promotional shots for the sports company Puma in 1983. I have two or three more pictures of this which I will provide shortly.

One of the pics from the ads Mike did for Puma is here:

http://p200server.us.es/mikeoldfield/verfoto.asp?id=3200

If you could post more pics of it,it would be very nice :)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2006, 18:41

Is ther any more info on the Blonde Telecaster owned by Marc Bolan,  How did Mike end up with this?

Also I have had it confirmed (erm... fairly reliable source!!;) that the Les Paul Junior TV purchased recently was used on Ommadawn.

Regards

Ray

--------------
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 04:21

Quote (Ray @ Mar. 14 2006, 18:41)
Also I have had it confirmed (erm... fairly reliable source!!;) that the Les Paul Junior TV purchased recently was used on Ommadawn.

Hi Ray, quite interesting although the TV never showed up on any pictures until the early eighties.

To me it seems Mike has used almost all of his guitars on Ommadawn nowadays. I personally don´t think he can recall precisely which instrument he used on which album or song.

The Boxed Booklet gives a fairly good impression on the instruments he owned around 1976. The only electric guitars shown are the Fender Telecaster and one of the Gibson Les Paul/SG Juniors.

Buit it´d be more than interesting to find out whether or not the TV made it onto the Ommadawn recording.

Regards

Chris
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 05:58

From an interview in 1978 but GUITAR MAGAZINE,  Q) What kinds of guitars are you using currently?

Answer) Well, I've got a Gibson L-5 electric and my old Telecaster. About seven years ago, I added an additional Bill Lawrence pickup on to the Tele. It's got a phasing switch that lets me reverse the phasing on the pickups. It's also got an absolutely beautiful neck. If want to play a guitar for pleasure, I play the Telecaster. I also play my Les Paul Jr. It's old--from the mid-50's - and it's my main instrument. It's good for lead, and it's also got that brilliant sort of really bright sound. It's good for everything. Sometimes when I want a bright sound with tremolo, I'll plug it through the Fender amp in the main studio so that I can get that sort of ìshaft of lightî glistening effect. I certainly use the Les Paul Jr. the most, even though it's a really tatty old thing. But it sounds so beautiful, and I like old electrics.

I have also found quite a few references to it now i've started to look.   ;)  Ray

--------------
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 08:14

Quote (Ray @ Mar. 15 2006, 05:58)
Answer) Well, I've got a Gibson L-5 electric and my old Telecaster. About seven years ago, I added an additional Bill Lawrence pickup on to the Tele. It's got a phasing switch that lets me reverse the phasing on the pickups. It's also got an absolutely beautiful neck. If want to play a guitar for pleasure, I play the Telecaster. I also play my Les Paul Jr. It's old--from the mid-50's - and it's my main instrument. It's good for lead, and it's also got that brilliant sort of really bright sound. It's good for everything. Sometimes when I want a bright sound with tremolo, I'll plug it through the Fender amp in the main studio so that I can get that sort of ìshaft of lightî glistening effect. I certainly use the Les Paul Jr. the most, even though it's a really tatty old thing. But it sounds so beautiful, and I like old electrics.

That adds to my conclusion. The L-5 was in fact a L-6S Deluxe (as seen on the Knebworth video) and the old Les Paul jr. he refers to must be the SG/Les Paul Junior for it was his main instrument then. And that was not from the mid-fifties but from the early sixties.

Sometimes he tends to get a little confused, not only about his instruments. Once he mentioned that the Telecaster was his main electric on Tubular Bells. Now he offers it as the only electric played on it.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 08:26

I hope he doesnt stay confused for his autobiography - or it will all be incorrect.  I'll ask him.

--------------
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2006, 10:58

Quote (Horse @ Feb. 12 2006, 02:26)
Hmmm... As far as I know, he has (or rather had) three PRS guitars. The MaCarthy Hollowbody, and two solidbodies, one of which is sold now. But which one was it. The yellow one or the reddish?
Quote (tek_uk @ Feb. 12 2006, 03:48)
The PRS also has a midi kit fitted, but a much more recent one (the Roland VG8 I guess).

If the prs sold had a midi kit on it than that means the prs sold was the reddish one (see "Man in the rain" live at Horse Guards Parade) and that means Mike Oldfield probably still has the yellow one.  :)  :)

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2006, 11:17

Quote (tek_uk @ Feb. 12 2006, 03:48)
The Gibson TV is the one used throughout the Exposed video

That guitar is actually the yellow Gibson Ls6 Duluxe because even though the yellow Gibson Ls6 and yellow Gibson Tv look similer the yellow Gibson Tv has only 22 frets wheras the yellow Gibson Ls6 Duluxe amongst other things has 24 frets like on the "Exposed video".

The yellow Gibson Tv appears in two shots in addition to the Fender Stratocaster and the cherry red Gibson sg on the "Shadow On The Wall" video on the "Elements Dvd".

Mike Oldfield also used a variation of the yellow Gibson Ls6 as well on the "Exposed video" which is a black Gibson Ls6 Custom.  :)  :)

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
149 replies since Feb. 10 2006, 17:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net