Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 4 [5] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield quits Britain over smoking ban< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Big BellEnd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 30 2007, 17:49

Fat Arses, Crap, Bugger's and Cigar's,well really Sidney... your posts should come with Health warning.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2007, 18:34

Quote (sidney @ Oct. 30 2007, 09:32)
Right, thats it, you are all idiots, smoking kills. Just go to your local hospital and visit the cancer ward for confirmation. Mike left the country because he can afford too, because idiots like us have been buying his records for 30 years now, we made him a millionare, it was not his genius or anything mystical, it was royalties for recycled music, and how does he thank us? he buggers off to Spain, nice one Mike.

Royalties for recycled music??? :/ . But isn't the majority of music borrowed, recycled or plagarised in one form or another. Isn't recycling meant to be environmentally friendly :laugh:.  Not his genius??? A teenager who  composes a 49 minute instrumental , and plays nearly all the instruments himself must have at least a little bit of talent.

Yes smoking kills, but so does working excessive hours, for a pittance of a wage, but that hasn't been made illegal has it.  If the government try and stop me doing something I'm more determined to do the opposite  :cool:, my way of giving them a one fingered salute.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2007, 18:55

Actually my uncle died in a smoking related incident, he was crossing the road to get to the Tobacconist's and he was run over by a Marlboro delivery truck,

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2007, 18:59

Quote (TOBY @ Oct. 28 2007, 20:11)
Quote (arron11196 @ Oct. 28 2007, 14:54)
How is Mike being narrow minded by putting his hands up and saying "i dont agree with this anymore, i'm moving?"

Well he certainly doesn't seem to be coming across as particularly open minded does he? Open minded to the fact that passive smoking kills people, lots of people. So the no smoking ban might just be a good thing.   Or open minded about the fact that speed cameras might help prevent people speeding thus stopping road accidents and saving lives. Or open minded to the fact that some CCTV cameras might help solve or even prevent crime. Narrow mindedness is the opposite open mindedness in my book.
Whilst Mike is perfectly entitled to his opinions if he's going to have public rant about them then he's got to expect the fact that people might not agree with him and that people from his home country who do actually quite like UK culture and the way some of it at least is heading and feel there's actually a lot to proud of might just point that out to him.

I'm wondering how having crowds of office workers or pub customers  standing in the street whilst puffing away on cigarettes is more healthy for non smokers, than it would be to have a designated room for smoking within the workplace. If the smokers are contained within one area, it's only themselves they're giving lung cancer, and not also non smokers who are passively breathing in the smoke as they walk past the crowds of smokers.

Lets ban cream cakes as some  people might go and eat 5 in one go, and 2 the day after, and 1 the day after that then eat 7the next day, and so become obese, and  have a heart attack which can also kill.  That's maybe an extreme example, but I'm using it to make a point.

I said inan ealier post why I don't feel CCTV cameras solve crimes. Since the added "security" of having CCTV cameras on streets in the UK I feel that England has become a more violent place than it was some 20-40 years ago. I don't feel safer despite  all this CCTV that's around now which wasn't 10-15 years ago.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
sidney Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2007, 19:18

I apologise for my language, and yes they are just my opinions, but I like to share them and I couldnt help notice that everyone here suddenly seems to be making excuses for or defending Mike Oldfield, or even worse, talking about themselves! He doesnt need you all to defend his actions, Oh, and I apologise for calling him a washed out old has been, very unfair and out of order, I am a big fan you know, its just sometimes when I am listening to one of his albums, I always find myself waiting for the bit that I like. This is unique only to Mike Oldfield albums, what I mean is, if you take a typical Oldfield album, you will be guarenteed  5 to 10 minutes of sheer musical brilliance that will stay with you for the rest of your life, quickly followed by, or preceeded by 30 minutes of unmalodic pishical nonsense! But oh those 5 to 10 minutes of audio bliss, they will be enough to make you wait eagerly for, and buy his next album in the hope that there may 10 to 20 minutes of musical brilliance...... but there never is, is there? and so it goes on and on, you see, he has us hooked, its not genius musicianship, you have to remember that all he has ever done is make and play music, thats all he has ever done, its not like he ever did a hard days graft, if you do one thing all your life, your going to end up pretty good at it, look at Eric Clapton (lazy bugger), its just a brilliant marketing gift he has to keep us spending money on his albums and knowing he only has to brilliant and original for a few minutes each album. Anyway, Iam off now, gonna join a Stranglers forum and wind them silly buggers up, I am the worlds biggest Strangler fan you know, but every album I bought by them left me feeling dissapointed, but hey, I wont have a bad word said against them. Look, these heroes of ours in the music industry, they are not Gods, they are just public servants who get paid for providing us, the general public, with music, and if its crap, then I am off elswhere, just like a resteraunt you see, if your favorite resteraunt serves you crap, then you are within your right to complain, its no good hanging around waiting see if they improve.

--------------
It is not my intention to provoke thought, It is my intention to provoke a thoughtful reaction. (can someone put that in Latin for me?)
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2007, 19:29

Here Here.

I think

--------------
Profile PM 
sidney Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2007, 19:30

Anyway, he has his own studio, surely he can smoke in his own studio, he doesnt need to be anywhere else, thats where he should be, making music for us in his own studio smoking his tabs and playing with his bells, if I met him in a pub, well I would jolly well tell him to get back to his studio and make me another album cos the last one want good enough.

--------------
It is not my intention to provoke thought, It is my intention to provoke a thoughtful reaction. (can someone put that in Latin for me?)
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2007, 19:32

There There.

--------------
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2007, 19:42

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  

I need more emoticons!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
sidney Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2007, 20:27

One more thing, moonchilddood, wot the hell does plagarised mean? ....... and any teenager who composes a 49 minute instrumental and plays nearly all the instruments himself has at least........no girlfriends. If I was a teenager and was given the choice of banging on some shiney hangy down things whilst writing music all day and night.... or playing with teenage girls , well I suppose thats why he is a millionare living in Spain and I work in a bloody factory.....innit.

--------------
Profile PM 
James Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2007, 23:20

Why does Mike smoke?Why do people smoke?Often hear smokers say it is a pleasure they have, indeed I have even heard one or two souls claim it to be their only pleasure....(me o my!;)

So if we can agree that smoking is a pleasure for most smokers then equating a pleasure to the cost of potentially taking an initially healthy persons life or compromising the quality of it, your answers on a postcard please.
I can only see this to be the height of ignorance and complete selfishness.

It seems smokers taking this stance are all to prepared to protect their rights to smoke anywhere at will rather than preserve and protect the health of their fellow man and even more disturbingly their own children in some cases,boy that is sad.....

It's not strictly true to call it a ban anyway it's not as though the act has been forced underground is it.They can still smoke just mix large quantities of air with it please if it's ok with you.I see it more as a small disruption in smokers social habits at the very BIG bonus of preserving life.Gee it seems even surreal having to spell it out like this.

I have never been a smoker and in all honesty I would rather see people give up this wretched way simply for their own well being,I guess Im having a caring moment here, but isn't that really the essence of what all this is about Im ok Jack sod you. No ones saying stop the funking act you are so devotedly married to, til death you shall part just stop sending your poison to thy air stream SIMPLE.

Oh yeah car fumes smell and are somewhat detrimental to the well being of the planet dweller,I would sure like to see less traffic thats for sure.There's no comparison between road fumes and close proximity passive smoking.When was the last time you were at the  pub seeing a car exhaust getting it on with someones dry roasted peanuts.
However you may agree that we need food and other products like medicines,clothes and CD's huh! (some Cd's more than others agreed.)
ferried to our many towns and cities.Folk need to GO FORTH commute to workage to earn that perhaps over travelled crust that actually preserves life.It's kind of necessary but smoking well putting it bluntly  it sure aint it's absolutely not required we were't born with little smoke chambers in our lungs to keep us going til we reach the legal puffin age It's kinda not rocket science now is it.

I do believe that most smokers have accepted the current legislation in a dignified way and understand /see the broader picture rather than their own recreational self and can be seen puffing merrily near a public house near you soon. :cool:
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2007, 04:38

Quote (James @ Oct. 31 2007, 04:20)

There's a lot of it about.

What on earth is it about this topic that generates so much heat and intolerance? Baffles me.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2007, 13:20

Now, now, every one calm down a bit, life is just an illusion so lets get on and enjoy it!

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Oct. 31 2007, 13:22

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 31 2007, 08:38)
What on earth is it about this topic that generates so much heat.....

Where there's smoke there is fire.....

:laugh:

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2007, 16:17

Quote (Matt @ Oct. 31 2007, 18:22)
Where there's smoke there is fire.....

I think we've reached the fag end of this thread.
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2007, 18:28

So was the piddle trough in the pub toilet's the original filter water, coz in our local it was full of filters.

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2007, 19:05

Quote (sidney @ Oct. 31 2007, 00:27)
One more thing, moonchilddood, wot the hell does plagarised mean? ....... and any teenager who composes a 49 minute instrumental and plays nearly all the instruments himself has at least........no girlfriends. If I was a teenager and was given the choice of banging on some shiney hangy down things whilst writing music all day and night.... or playing with teenage girls , well I suppose thats why he is a millionare living in Spain and I work in a bloody factory.....innit.

Moonchiddood???? I'm a dudette :laugh: .

Well Sid I guess we all make choices, and if you chose to play with teenage girls' boobies, rather than banging on some long thin metallic tubes, whilst composing all day and night, that's why you ended up working in a factory.  How do we know for sure that Mike didn't have a girlfriend(s) at the time, not that it worries me , as what Mike does in his love life is his own affair, as long as it's between (two) consenting adults then it's fine.

BTW Plagarised means to blatantly steal someone elses ideasor music etc and pass them off as your own.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2007, 19:20

Quote (James @ Oct. 31 2007, 03:20)
Why does Mike smoke?Why do people smoke?Often hear smokers say it is a pleasure they have, indeed I have even heard one or two souls claim it to be their only pleasure....(me o my!;)

So if we can agree that smoking is a pleasure for most smokers then equating a pleasure to the cost of potentially taking an initially healthy persons life or compromising the quality of it, your answers on a postcard please.

It seems smokers taking this stance are all to prepared to protect their rights to smoke anywhere at will rather than preserve and protect the health of their fellow man and even more disturbingly their own children in some cases,boy that is sad.....

It's not strictly true to call it a ban anyway it's not as though the act has been forced underground is it.They can still smoke just mix large quantities of air with it please if it's ok with you.I see it more as a small disruption in smokers social habits at the very BIG bonus of preserving life.Gee it seems even surreal having to spell it out like this.

I have never been a smoker and in all honesty I would rather see people give up this wretched way simply for their own well being,I guess Im having a caring moment here, but isn't that really the essence of what all this is about Im ok Jack sod you. No ones saying stop the funking act you are so devotedly married to, til death you shall part just stop sending your poison to thy air stream SIMPLE.

Oh yeah car fumes smell and are somewhat detrimental to the well being of the planet dweller,I would sure like to see less traffic thats for sure.There's no comparison between road fumes and close proximity passive smoking.When was the last time you were at the  pub seeing a car exhaust getting it on with someones dry roasted peanuts.
However you may agree that we need food and other products like medicines,clothes and CD's huh! (some Cd's more than others agreed.)
ferried to our many towns and cities.Folk need to GO FORTH commute to workage to earn that perhaps over travelled crust that actually preserves life.It's kind of necessary but smoking well putting it bluntly  it sure aint it's absolutely not required we were't born with little smoke chambers in our lungs to keep us going til we reach the legal puffin age It's kinda not rocket science now is it.

I do believe that most smokers have accepted the current legislation in a dignified way and understand /see the broader picture rather than their own recreational self and can be seen puffing merrily near a public house near you soon. :cool:

As regards smoking, being an occaisional smoker and a considerate person I will always ask someone before lighting up. I only really smoke at home, or in ther company of friends who do smoke.  I don't have any kids so I am NOT harming their health by puffing away.
If the government is so keen to stop people smoking why don't they just ban the sale of tobacco and tobacco products, they won't as they make too much money in the form of tax from it.

As regarding car fumes, yes I admit the roads are often clogged with traffic, but to many people cars are essential.  If I travel up to Warwickshire by train to see my boyfriend it would cost me £30 return, and take about  3 hours to get there, but in my car the same journey takes about 1-1 1/2 hours, and costs me about £16 in petrol. Not that I will need to spend money travelling up there next year as I shall be moving in WHOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!    :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 31 2007, 21:54

I think this one's run its course and then some. I hope the respect between forum users in other topics will continue, as it seems like one or two people have been having a good go at eroding it here. Eyes are peeled, big red buttons ready and all that...so be nice :)
Profile PM 
98 replies since Oct. 21 2007, 14:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 4 [5] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net