Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (9) < ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield interview in Resolution magazine< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 08 2007, 08:39

Also, now the new edition of Resolution is available, last months is online in full.
http://www.digitalpublishingcompany.co.uk/activem....007.asp
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 08 2007, 16:52

Quote (Mat Cochrane @ May 07 2007, 12:24)
Continuing the stuff from Resolution magazine, on the letters page of the newest issue (May/June 2007):

"... Mike Oldfield appeared to deny the existence of a quadraphonic version of Tubular Bells. I mixed it in quad at The Manor in 1975 ably assisted by Mick Glossop and Alan Perkins. It was first used in Boxed, a four album set, and almost immediately replaced the pseudo-quad version which Mike mentions was done at Abbey Road, which was then withdrawn. I believe that the 'new' version was later used for a special edition 'picture disc' and in 2001 it re-appeared as one of the very first SACDs. In the latter case, despite all the cover notes, many SACDs were returned to the shops because they were 'faulty' – nothing came out of the centre front speaker (it was a four-channel mix!;). This version is still in the shops over 30 years after it was mixed, so there definitely was/is a quadraphonic version of the original Tubular Bells.
Philip Newell, Span"

I have a quadraphonic Tubular Bells vinyl LP in Boxed (Boxed came in an SQ quad edition and a stereo edition, obviously you need to have the SQ quad version to own a quad TB).

My brother owns the rare CD4 quad vinyl LP of Tubular bells featuring the famous sentence "for people with four ears" and of course "in glorious quadraphonic sound" on the sleeve. It being CD4, you shouldn't play it with a regular stylus though! You'll wear away the CD4 layer. SQ doesn't have this problem, but is inferior to CD4. CD4 on the other hand requires a special stylus, cartridge and decoder (and a quad amp + speakers, obviously) where SQ only requires a decoder, and can be used with any good stylus/cartridge. Modern dolby decoders can handle some of these old standards a bit. NOt as originally intended though.

I vaguely remember my brother playing the CD4 TB on our regular turntable once. One time will not have hurt the CD4 layer too much, quite possibly not at all indeed. It is only with regular playing that this very high frequency layer wears off if you use the wrong stylus. IIRC, it has a recording of Mike flying an RC plane through the studio, going all around you. But I may be mistaken about that. Hey, I was maybe 7 years old at the time! :).
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 27 2007, 12:00

From Mike Banks of Record Production:
    Hi Chaps,

I read many of the comments on your forums about the video that I shot at Mike Oldfield's studio a short while back.  As I'm not a member of the forums I was hoping that you could pass on my comments in the thread  http://tubular.net/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=41&t=7273 ?

I took the pics for the website and for Resolution magazine.  I took my video gear to shoot the interview but Mike decided against using his studio and wanted to record the feature in his conservatory next door which was a problem as the space was really cramped, and worse, the camcorder battery was playing up so had to use the mains.  The tie clip mic was also damaged in transit so it had to be on camera sound.  As Mike had only one spare mains outlet a fair distance away the choice of angle was not ideal and worse, the wind howling around the conservatory was impossible to mask.  Due to the difficult shooting conditions I decided on not showing George Shilling who did the interview and also decided on editing that I'd be best making a feature of the wind and went for some fun Japanese stock music but then added a lot of other bits to the sound to make it more unique.

My primary focus was actually to get really good pictures for the magazine. They came out pretty well.  I know it's easy to say the video's a bit low quality but when you have so much to do, lights, camera, audio, pictures etc something has to give.  We do all the work for pretty much nothing, the only way that we fund the features are to show the ads on the page which may make 20-30 dollars a year!  It's a bit depressing when people steal the content and post it on YouTube etc as then they don't visit the site.  We are really cool about people using low rez images so long as they put a credit/link next to it.

Anyway, just to let your readers know Mike is a top guy, very easy to warm to and just wish I'd been able to set up the cameras for the video as I'd liked.  If you chaps would like to see the full interview I may just spend an evening doing the full 1 hour edit!

:-)

Mike
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: May 27 2007, 12:16

What a nice man!
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: May 27 2007, 12:50

Quote (Olivier @ May 27 2007, 17:00)
From Mike Banks of Record Production:

I know it's easy to say the video's a bit low quality but when you have so much to do, lights, camera, audio, pictures etc something has to give.  We do all the work for pretty much nothing, the only way that we fund the features are to show the ads on the page which may make 20-30 dollars a year!
Anyway, just to let your readers know Mike is a top guy, very easy to warm to and just wish I'd been able to set up the cameras for the video as I'd liked.  If you chaps would like to see the full interview I may just spend an evening doing the full 1 hour edit!

In the "good old days" you would have a 5 man crew to do that shoot. I have to hand it to Mike Banks for coming clean and offering us more. Yes to the extended edit!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 27 2007, 13:19

Of course we want the full edit!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 27 2007, 14:03

Quote (Olivier @ May 27 2007, 17:00)
If you chaps would like to see the full interview I may just spend an evening doing the full 1 hour edit!

Yes please!
Profile PM 
166 replies since Mar. 03 2007, 17:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) < ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net