Pages: (10) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield in London for this Friday?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
adler Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 27 2012, 18:48

Fantastic! !

Here in Brazil the TV commentator first called the musician "Mike Oldman"  :(
And when he was playing FATC he said it was Dulci Jubilo... Argh! !!

But it was very nice to see Mike in brazilian TV, the country where almost nobody knows him!!
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 18:52

I can't find any HQ pictures of Mike from the press on the Internet! Not even the BBC or the official Olympics webiste. They are all about the other artists or JK Rowling, but none of him.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 19:10

Quote (adler @ July 27 2012, 23:48)
Fantastic! !

Here in Brazil the TV commentator first called the musician "Mike Oldman"  :(
And when he was playing FATC he said it was Dulci Jubilo... Argh! !!

But it was very nice to see Mike in brazilian TV, the country where almost nobody knows him!!

As a fellow Brazilian,I was imagining how they would have presented MO.I've seen MO in Brazilian telly a few times,I can count in one hand!

Even after I've moved to England almost 3 years ago,I've never seen MO on telly apart from that BBC Four Prog Rock Britannia doc and nothing more.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
stpaul Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 19:13

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ July 27 2012, 17:42)
Quote (stpaul @ July 27 2012, 23:36)
Amazing ! And there was also his son Luke on guitar.

How do you know that?

You can see him at 6:50.

Olympics
Profile PM 
adler Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 19:21

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ July 27 2012, 19:10)
As a fellow Brazilian,I was imagining how they would have presented MO.

But when they were playing In Dulci Jubilo (after he read the script), he start explaining that Mike Oldfield was the creator of Tubular Bells and he had sold more than 16 milions of records.!
That was very nice!
Profile PM 

Posted: July 27 2012, 19:27

Quote (adler @ July 28 2012, 00:21)
Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ July 27 2012, 19:10)
As a fellow Brazilian,I was imagining how they would have presented MO.

But when they were playing In Dulci Jubilo (after he read the script), he start explaining that Mike Oldfield was the creator of Tubular Bells and he had sold more than 16 milions of records.!
That was very nice!

That's awesome for a country where MO is almost unknown!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 20:12

Work in about 4 hours, but for those who can do such things, the digital age is a happy place.  Night night...

http://twitter.com/UMusicuk

Universal Music UK‏@UMusicuk

Mike Oldfield's performance from tonight’s opening ceremony is available to download on the official soundtrack album http://bit.ly/IslesOfWonder

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Pinhead Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 20:13

Good to see Mike back in England. Wonder how long he'll stay though before flying off back to the yacht . . . Bonus to see and hear In Dulci Dubilo live for the first time. My he's getting on a bit now though! Glad he hasn't lost his guitar magic. Interesting excerpt of TB Part I.
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 20:41

Wonderful surprise ! And it was a great (and funny) evening . Mike and Paul in the same event !
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 20:44

I am so, so proud...Mike was brilliant...the whole ceremony was an inspiration!

And Mike will always and forever be 'the music', won't he? He shone tonight, I had tears rolling down my cheeks, so many years of believing in that sound and there it was for everyone in the world to feel...and boy did they enjoy it!

I loved that his music was combined with the children's literature and NHS/Great Ormond Street ...just amazing in the way it worked..I didn't want it to stop.

I want to watch it again and again.

I'm also wondering if he did have some involvement in the music leading up to his part, I could hear all kinds of familiar things...and wasn't it great that his son played with him?

I don't think I can get to sleep tonight

:D

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 20:59

Mike Oldfield interview: How ‘Tubular Bells’ led me to the Olympic opening ceremony

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport....ny.html
Profile PM 
keol Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 28 2012, 00:14

Well, I was working so I missed it, but my family recorded the show. I was at work and my sister called me "Guess who's playing at the ceremony!" Then she said, "Mike Oldfield, but don't worry we're recording it"

Then when I got home, first things first: I played the recording and of course, Colombian commentators!! One of the most 'enlightened' ladies on TV called him "Mike Olfiled" (with a check-my-english pronunciation... sounded something like "ol-failt").

Anyway, as I'm reading here, commentators are a worldwide problem... something should be done about them! haha.

Still, Mike played great! and it's great seeing him on a stage again.
Profile PM WEB 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: July 28 2012, 02:25

Was McCartney Poor for the Whole of Hey Jude I had to Switch off after 30Seconds it was starting to Suck badly,, :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
MikeArnold Offline

Posted: July 28 2012, 02:28

Just noticed the following available on iTunes Canada:

"Isles of Wonder: Music for the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games".

Track 5: "Tubular Bells/In Dulci Jubilo" by Mike Oldfield, length 11' 26"

Can't tell from the brief introductory segment I listened to if this is the "live" version, or (more likely) a studio version made prior to the event.

The track is currently available for purchase as part of the album only.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: July 28 2012, 03:30

Quote (MikeArnold @ July 28 2012, 07:28)
Can't tell from the brief introductory segment I listened to if this is the "live" version, or (more likely) a studio version made prior to the event.

From the excerpt I listened to on my phone, it sounds like a studio version ...
Profile PM 
amarok90 Offline

Posted: July 28 2012, 03:42

I wondered why the release date for Platinum and QE2 had been put back a week !!, still good to see MO on form and being broadcast to a few people across the planet.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: July 28 2012, 04:15

Sorry to be a party-pooper, but I was slightly disappointed to be honest.
It was nice that he was there and got to perform, and I'm sure he must have felt honoured to be taking part, but the BBC hardly gave him any screen time on their coverage. A few brief glimpses is all we got before cutting back to the dancing nurses and kids jumping about on hospital beds. Great to hear the music, but he (and the other musicians) were clearly there to provide a soundtrack to the spectacle and not to be the main attraction themselves.
I then felt even more disappointed when the Arctic Monkeys and Paul McCartney turned up later on and garnered a hell of a lot more attention (especially when McCartney wasn't all that great either! ).
Perhaps there's better footage of Mike on stage that's been produced by other media outlets that were covering the ceremony?

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
neil-h Offline

Posted: July 28 2012, 04:23

Great to see Mike play at the opening ceremony.

I'm very disappointed to see that the "Tubular Bells/In Dulci Jubilo" track on the Isles Of Wonder album is "album only" on iTunes as it's the only track I'd be interested in. Maybe another download site might sell the track separately. Sometimes play.com or amazon have the tracks to purchase, though they're not showing the album on download yet.

The bonus live performance to download on "Two Sides" - Could this be the Opening Ceremony performance?
Profile PM 
Michael Hilton Offline

Posted: July 28 2012, 04:32

Luved the whole performance, and was surprised to see Mike live, and standing proud.... he certainly made my day  :cool:
Profile PM 

Posted: July 28 2012, 04:46

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ July 28 2012, 09:15)
It was nice that he was there and got to perform, and I'm sure he must have felt honoured to be taking part, but the BBC hardly gave him any screen time on their coverage

Very true,I was disappointed with the Beeb's non-MO coverage. It seemed to me he was less important than Macca and even that Arctic Monkeys band at the Olympic Opening Ceremony! Even on international sites the pattern is a bit similar.

But now the world knows who Mike Oldfield is after the Olympics.I'm so proud to be a fan! He did an awesome job and I had that massive smile on my face! Maybe an MBE/OBE or even a knighthood in the future...of course Danny Boyle would become a sir...but it's also time for Mike for his royal recognition!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
191 replies since July 25 2012, 21:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net