Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 'Introduction' video< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
dkaycom Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 26 2003, 08:31

Quote (Mige Iranzo @ April 26 2003, 14:08)
.....done by Mike O himself because it tries to sound actual but it isn't really actual at all,.....

:laugh:  
:laugh:
now that was a good pointing one !

:laugh:  :laugh:  
Later,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 26 2003, 09:01

Well, this video is indeed easy to make. Anyone with a home computer and editing software (like Adobe Premiere) can produce a video like this.

But this video has been edited with professional software (I think Final Cut Pro or Avid) and with some 3d software (something like 3d Max).

The Wind Chimes was for it times a great video and state of the art technology. At that time if you only had LOTS of money you could produce a video like that, so don't under-rate it. ;)

By the way, the remix is nice, but still better than the Millenium Bell! I still dislike that.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Hendrik Offline

Posted: April 26 2003, 09:59

One thing I dislike about his latest videos is, that Mike isn´t showing up playing some instrument for example playing in the desert, wood or on the building etc. !

And another thing I would have added musicaly in this remix are some improvisations with his guitar, some great notes squeeking and skretchings as we know it. For me it seems rather easy to repeat the two main parts with only some melodic differences.

But nevertheless I like this a lot !   :cool:

Looking foreward for the rerecording, although its AGAIN a TB. Someday you could fill walls with all the bells covers .  :p

Hendrik
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 26 2003, 10:23

But even for it's time The Wind Chimes wasn't even that great. The guy who founded the Pixar animation company ( they produced the Toystory films amongst other stuff) was using that same Mirage edting computer round about the same time as Mike and his stuff was amazing. I think all The Wind Chimes project proved was that Mike wasn't very good at making music videos', the only halfway decent video done for the project was Magic Touch and almost all of that was done by the movie director Alex Proyas, tellingly Mike's small contrabution of the little animated drummer almost ruins it.

I've alway's found it strange that for a someone who creates music with such visual resonance Mike's never never really developed a strong visual style to go with his music.
Profile PM 
Chris-Llawen
Unregistered

Posted: April 26 2003, 14:28

i've just watched the video and IMO this makes TB2003 look even more like TB 4 - the visuals are really very beautiful, but what relevance do they have to the original TB?  They're just too happy and sunny!

As for the pitch bending of the chords in various sections (where the orignal had mandolin like guitar i think), well... i think that sounds very naff, and dotting that bit about spoils the effect - its supposed to happen at the end of the intro, not flicked about in the middle of it.  It just makes me cringe...

Otherwise, the guitar and bass playing sounds quite nice, not too synthy in parts IMO
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 26 2003, 14:58

After watching the video a couple times I noticed something. At the beginning we see a dessert with a bell flying around. Then grass starts growing and all the sudden it's a lush green forest. Then further on a city is suddenly there. And all the while the bell is always showing up. Is the bell creating life? lol

As to the generation arguement. It's absalute bollocks that you have to be of any age to appreciate something

I never said you have to be any certain age to appreciate something. I said it was most of the reason why some people like and hate it. You can appreciate something but still not like it. I appreciate TB73 very much. I just can't stand the sound quality. I love the music, but that particular version I can't get used to. I'd rather have it with clearer sounding instruments and maybe a little synth here or there (i like the new bass). I'd appreciate it a whole lot more that way. In other words, I'd like it much closer to TB2 quality.

However, others appreciate the original TB73 with not only the music but the sound quality and everything else about it and how it's played. I respect that opinion. But it's not my opinion :). Like I said, I'd rather have it more up-to-date like TB2 or even Tr3s Lunas.

We all love the music. But we all have different likes about how it's played. There's the original soft and subtle bass from the original and the new synth more sorta in-your-face bass from the new one. But it's all Tubular Bells, IMO.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Down Under
Unregistered

Posted: April 26 2003, 17:00

dabidovich said:

"You may use the following link to download the video using some kind of download manager like Gozilla, GetRight or DAP:

http://www.mikeoldfield-tubularbells.com/video2.swf

It´s a ShockWaveFlash file. If you use video1 instead you'll get the bell-video.intro".

Has anybody succeeded in getting video 1?  The hyperlink I set up doesn't do anything.
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: April 26 2003, 18:12

Just watched the video. I began laughing out loud at the point the bell appeared from behind the building! How silly! Mike has to be careful that he'll not begin parodying himself with these previews. Things can easily be ripped out of their context...
After watching the video a couple times I noticed something. At the beginning we see a dessert with a bell flying around. Then grass starts growing and all the sudden it's a lush green forest. Then further on a city is suddenly there. And all the while the bell is always showing up. Is the bell creating life? lol

How funny you mention. A little time ago a friend of mine listened TB,HR and Ommadawn in a row. He described it as: first a world is created (TB), then friendly, peaceful little people arrived (HR), and then the disaster came, followed by a new beginning (O). Maybe Mike has comparable feels about it?

But I'm a little afraid TB2003 will represent Mike's fluffy youth memory's. People tend to forget the bad things of their young times and only recall some happy moments, and so might Mike. If the frustrated pain of TB73 will disappear, what will there be left in it for me?
I'm doubting if I will buy this album. I guess I'll just wait till I hear some oppinions of it.

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
Geltru Offline

Posted: April 26 2003, 18:21

Quote (Guest @ April 26 2003, 17:00)
Has anybody succeeded in getting video 1?  The hyperlink I set up doesn't do anything.

Yes, I have, it´s http://www.mikeoldfield-tubularbells.com/video.swf

Regards

Geltrú

--------------
The worst person is the one who keeps information to himself.
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: April 26 2003, 22:43

TOBY - you are too funny... you've watched it stoned and it still didn't help... LOL  :D

It's rather interesting that some of you mention the BELL creating life.  In a sense Tubular Bells created a whole new direction and sound for the music industry - which still can be heard in almost any piece of music in some form or fashion - especially dance, hip-hop, and pop.  It was a pioneering piece that brought a very old method of song writing (baroque - romantic - classical - 20th century composition) into the popular culture.  

What the music industry needs is to remember the roots of great music - Tubular Bells and other great albums that brought a new perspective to the for-front and gave new direction to an industry.  I believe that although this TB isn't out-of-whack and out-of-tune but on the ball and somewhat mechanical (in that it's in tune and with the metrinome) it may not appeal to those who were around when it was first released in 1973.  

As for the remix and pop feel it presents - most all albums in this music industry - which we all know is far different from the past - have to have a pop single which sounds modern and teen appealing.  This is what I feel is trying to be accomplished.  I would absolutely love to tune into TRL on MTV and see this video.  Maybe the reason Mike is not in the video is for two reasons - A: He wanted the emphasis on the music and scenery and not on him, B: There is really nothing in there for him to play except for the repeating piano (which is not his main instrument), or C: He is getting quite old looking these days.  I do like him best at the TB3 time... he looked really good then - very classy in those photos!!  C: seems a little on the plausable side since Elton John, who is around the same age, wasn't in any of his recent video's either and they made MTV-TRL and VH1 rotation.  And I do remember him (Elton) saying something about he was on holiday and didn't want to come off to shoot a video, thought he was getting up there in age, and hated to see himself in a video.

But to get back to the creation idea... it is a very good perception on whoevers part that first brought it up.  Looking at the video now I can see what is meant and I agree you must be right - it would seem the best observation and answer so far! :)

Christopher

PS  The Wind Chimes - a bone floating in space for 2 and half minutes... very entertaining I must say - NOT!!!!  And the Earth Moving video only proved someones point from earlier in this string... NO! Mike Oldfield was horrible at making video's  VERY HORRIBLE... TRAGIC REALLY!!!!  But in recent years he has done very good - Sentinel (VERY GOOD) - The Bell (VERY GOOD) - LTBL (EXCELLENT) - To Be Free (VERY GOOD) - TB Introduction (EXCELLENT).  IMHO of course.  :p  Though I do wish he had done a video for Hibernaculum! :)
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: April 26 2003, 23:32

But to get back to the creation idea... it is a very good perception on whoevers part that first brought it up.  Looking at the video now I can see what is meant and I agree you must be right - it would seem the best observation and answer so far! :)

Thank you :D.

Though I do wish he had done a video for Hibernaculum! :)

Actually, he did (if not him then someone did). I have it in low-quality Real Video format. Got it along with a bunch of others from a Mike Oldfield site somewhere and saved them all on cd. You want it? http://smc.sq7.org/hibernaculum.rm

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 27 2003, 06:07

The thing is MTV, VH1, etc would play it if the video was anywhere near being halfway decent and the remix itself could well be a chart hit if it was well done by somebody who new what they were doing, I agree its better than the Orb's effort with Sentinal bit it's still not very interesting. There is potential for a dance hit with a version of TB done by somebody I'm sure.
I've alway's thought Mike should take a leaf out of Peter Gabriels book and actualy become known for producing amazing little films to go with his music, Mike's not short of a bob or two so he could certainaly afford it and anyway it doesn't neccessarily cost much to produce something good. As I said before anybody with a halfway powerfull Mac or PC could produce something better than the horse shit that is that new video, indeed I'm sure some of us could. When I was studying film at art college many years ago before powerfull computers were about I used to hook up two videos and very simply edit together loads of random and surreal movie footage and put it to some of Mike's music, some of them were pretty naff but I did a good one to the end of Ommadawn part 1 and me and a fellow student made a really good film to part of Amarok for a a college project. So it's not difficult.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 27 2003, 09:57

Quote (christopher @ April 27 2003, 04:43)
PS  The Wind Chimes - a bone floating in space for 2 and half minutes... very entertaining I must say - NOT!!!!

Let's not forget that Mike made the Wind Chimes video for the images he had in his head. Personally, I think the Wind Chimes video is great!

When I was studying film at art college many years ago before powerfull computers were about I used to hook up two videos and very simply edit together loads of random and surreal movie footage and put it to some of Mike's music, some of them were pretty naff but I did a good one to the end of Ommadawn part 1 and me and a fellow student made a really good film to part of Amarok for a a college project.

Interesting, because I also make videos and use lots of Mike's music. I just finished a video about freedom in which I used Gimme Back. I posted a subject about that here somewhere in the forum recently.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: April 27 2003, 16:58

i've seen the introduction video and i have to say i really like the idea... a tubular flight :) and if u don't mind i relax and loose my imagination, i'll tell what i see there... it could be that the tubular flight is mike's own flight along his time, not only childhood (almost sure a psychoanalyzer could think his main symbol for himself is a bent tubular bell... :D)
the video starts with the bell in a bubble coming on earth to a desert, stormy images (for a stormy brain) but the bell in the drop of rain waters the arid land and makes the seed grow... while growing, the journey goes on across that forest (ommadawn's forest!! :)) and cities, villages, skies, days and night lights until it arrived at the desert again and begins to move back through waves and clouds... a brighter and calmer mood then... and goes back until reaching the beach from where it is launched up to the sky.

could be that the bell comes to earth to make a review flight over these thirty years and then, when at last reaches a brighter place on that beautiful beach, goes up into the sky again.
i see kind'a cycle being completed along the video.

about the music for the moment i'd like just to make a comment... it's funny...there is a moment in which the bell appears flying like the big worrying airship in mvr, and there's a sound in the mix that i'd say is the same of the airship when it appears threatening some times round the desert... but i'm not completely sure, maybe someone could check it...

i've enjoyed watching it inspite of the bad quality of both images and sound.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
ian Offline

Posted: April 27 2003, 17:11

I like the sound of the re-recording as you can hear more expression in the playing of the Bass guitar so I imagine it will be better for that.

I can't get excited about the re-mix dance version though as it reminds me of the same treatment that Women Of Ireland got.It is very standard,dated dance.I do like dance music and am always open minded about new styles (Drum and Bass etc) but this lacks imagination.I would like to hear a better link than the guitar climax which gets a little samey after a while.The key change doesnt sit well for me,some other elements from the album could have been used to develop it more.Source Of Secrets is much,much better.

The video,what I can see of it on my 56K,is again a bit unimaginative but very colourfull.It would have been good to see old archive footage of the Manor,Branson,Newman,Mike with long hair and beard etc cut into updated images of Mike and his now high tech studio,playing instruments,larking around...anything that tells a story of 30 years of a musical genious.

Just MHO
Profile PM WEB 
Melomaniac Offline

Posted: April 27 2003, 17:31

Awful, horrible and cheap video, the dance mix is even worse.
It´s clear the record company is not putting money on promotion. At least, at the moment.
By the way, I also miss Mike appearing in his videos. Obviously, Mike is getting older but I think this is no reason for avoiding appearing in the latest videos.It has been less than a year since TL presentation in Valencia and his looking was not so bad in these photos.
Sorry Christopher, this time I can´t agree with you.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 27 2003, 17:51

I do miss Mike on the videos,really...I was expecting something like Sentinel really for the Introduction video...it´s not the fact he´s almost 50,but on Sentinel,his appearance made the difference!

About the single,fungus effect,regarding just one part that annoys a bit...I call it the "carrousel" part(remember the Second House performance of TB in 1974...)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
ian Offline

Posted: April 27 2003, 18:48

The last time I saw Mike on the telly was last year on the Heaven and Earth show and he looked really well.There was a period around 1999 where he looked tired,probably the effects of Ibiza showing as well as years of smoking which does not help with a youthfull appearence.

He even lets people smoke in his studio if you watch the Millenium bell interview/feature on the DVD,there is some guy sat in his studio smoking as well as people in his conservatory.I certainly wouldnt let anyone smoke in my studio or house for that fact,disgusting horrible smelling things.
Profile PM WEB 
Down Under
Unregistered

Posted: April 27 2003, 22:03

Video 1 - thanks, Geltru.  I had put "video1" in the hyperlink instead of just straight "video".  I now have it - all 3 seconds of it!
christopher Offline

Posted: April 28 2003, 00:42

It's ok Melomaniac... I forgive you for not agreeing - we can't all be so perfect... LOL :p  just kidding!  I would like to see Mike in the videos too - but there is always something very cheezy about his appearences - atleast from my point-of-view.  For instance, in the Moonlight Shadow he just sits there except for the occasional mystical vanishing and gun fight - in To France he is sitting on a rock not even playing the right guitar for the sound that's heard.  In Shadow on the Wall he looks like a dork and Roger Chapman looks as if he could have used a padded cell.  In Islands he stands on a rock er something and plucks a bass - how boring.  The coolest appearence he has put in, as far as I can remember, is the Sentinel video floating in the faces playing his guitar and in Let There Be Light where shows up as a computer image asleep on his hand and at the end in the face of the floating rock while the children with gum ascend.

Thank you MusicallyInspired for the Hibernaculum video!! :)  Don't know who did that one but it was quite good.  I do believe that was Mike in the video with glasses on looking at a computer monitor on a laptop.  Probably a promotional video of some kind if it is official.

While we are all on the subject of MO videos would someone mind listing in the posts here an accurate list of all official MO video's?  And where and whom I might acquire these from?  Thanks! :)

Christopher
Profile PM 
73 replies since April 25 2003, 14:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net