Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hints at new songs in Don Black interview< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 17 2010, 12:00

For me,Heaven's Open is Mike's best lyrics effort ever. Maybe at this point he wants something like that for a change.

Meanwhile...just silence from him and no more diaries from Fanny,so we can only speculate with what we've got.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2010, 14:48

I can not be more blunt: MO is not very active anymore. I've been watching his musical output since I was pre-teen. It will be 5 minutes before he turns 60 and I think he has one more album left in him(or at least that he's willing to do). I do not want to see my most admired composer go out with a whimper. No pop. No Tom Jones. No lyrics at all. Jeez I hope this stuff gets read by him or Fanny. Dump the lyricist(s). Do me proud with a collection of QE2-like songs and I'll see you in Heaven if it's still open.....
    On a semi-related note, I wanted to collect some rare records. So I thought of Elvis the pelvis. I collected a few. Fun stuff, maybe valuable in the end. Not that I care for that kind of music. But I found something. Very interesting. I wanted to interact in a forum such as this one, I've been a member for 3 years here. The top search result led me to a forum with get this: 84 fans on the Elvis site. Tubular dot net blows that away. This site has more fans, more interest, more interaction than Elvis Presley! I have to leave this post with: I'm impressed! Mike beats Elvis. Count me in! I go with the flow.....Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2010, 15:05

You know, I was thinking exactly the same thing last night. It would be a real shame if now that people all over the globe are finding it easier to communicate and share their love of Mike and his music via the internet, which is way more accessible than it ever was nowadays, that MO hangs up his clogs, puts his slippers on, gets a pipe out and settles down to making mainstream pop musicals or suchlike. God, if the Stones can keep going as they are when they're touching their 70s, Mike's still a spring chicken. He has said in the past that he's done pretty much all he wants to do with music but there has to be more! What about this interactive concert idea he had? I really hope he never gives up and keeps going until the day he dies (his words, not mine).

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2010, 05:42

Reading all this does trigger one's mind, doesn't it ? At least it in my case...
What could Mike possibly be up to.... ;-)
As there is not much news from Mike, his record company, and Fanny, as Tati mentioned earlier, I sure hope that this means that Mike is very very busy...
And I hope not only with the remix of Incantations... Because of the fact that a certain Don Black (who?) has written with Mike, that hope is even getting stronger ...
I'm just getting more and more curious by the minute...

:p
Profile PM 
wendybunny Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2010, 11:51

I just decided to look up Don Black and see what he's worked on before and to be honest I'm a little horrified.

He has done some good stuff, but most of the songs I know that he worked on are lyrical fluff (or a thick turd as my girlfriend called it, but I'd never be so crude). There's no real content there and often it comes off as strings of rhyming couplets that a ten year old could come up with.

Songs like Moonlight Shadow and Crime of Passion stop all over most of his work lyrically. The idea of having his imput on a MO album does not fill me with hope...
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2010, 12:22

I got the same Andy Williams/Hollies feeling when I read the article that started this thread. But I have to remind myself that the reference to MO was very brief, almost "in passing". Not enough real content/clues to indicate that they watched Avatar together with 3D glasses on.....or sip Jameson together in the wee hours of the morning. Perhaps we need to ease the tension down a notch and wait for product to surface. The Moody Blues were about his age when they left a fine Legacy album(Strange Times) even tho one potentially fine song(Haunted) was sabotaged by fingersnapping and "Do do do do do do...."), but I attribute this to declining testosterone levels and sentimentality that comes with age.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2010, 04:16

And Neil Young (like him or not) has just come out with an interesting new CD (like it or not) - and he's older than Mike  ;)
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2010, 04:24

Quote (trcanberra @ Oct. 28 2010, 04:16)
And Neil Young (like him or not) has just come out with an interesting new CD (like it or not) - and he's older than Mike  ;)

That's true but Neil's never stopped, he's prolific, shoots from the hip and lays it down like it is.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2010, 09:44

Apart from "On Horseback" "Get to France" and Moonlight Shadow" I think MO is better suited to instrumentals and nonsense words..
:)
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2010, 17:51

Quote (Scatterplot @ Oct. 19 2010, 19:48)
    On a semi-related note, I wanted to collect some rare records. So I thought of Elvis the pelvis.

...Jim, did you know that Elvis had a brother known as Enis?
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2011, 05:04

Just reading back through the posts and noticed there had been mention of the Telecaster project? Can anyone shed a bit more light on this for me?

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 14 2011, 05:44

Quote (Ratty @ Jan. 14 2011, 10:04)
Just reading back through the posts and noticed there had been mention of the Telecaster project? Can anyone shed a bit more light on this for me?

The "Telecaster album" is something Mikes wife Fanny mentioned in her One Track A Day diaries last year. If you look at the entry for 12th Feb 2010 in her first diary on Music of the Spheres here you'll see she says the following:

Tonight, Michael was really excited about this new "Telecaster" album he wants to do. I believe that both of us are now ready to move back to Nassau into a house with a studio for him to work, a garden for the boys and a new horse for mommy.

A couple of pictures of Mike playing his telecaster followed but apart from that nothing known as far as I am aware. Here's hoping :)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
31 replies since Oct. 15 2010, 09:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net