Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hints at new songs in Don Black interview< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 15 2010, 09:52

In an interview with Music Week, republished by the California Chronicle, lyricist Don Black has hinted at new songs to come from Mike.

He says "I've just written with Mike Oldfield and he sent me Tubular Bells and I thought, "What goes with that." I've got books of ideas and odd lines and I go back, "Is there anything that would fit that, maybe?" It's very helpful."
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 15 2010, 13:01

Hmmm...we'll have to wait and see if this would pop up on Mike's next project.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2010, 13:09

To be honest I'm not thrilled. It's like he's only working with people who have been in guinnes book of records. If you get what I mean.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2010, 13:38

I just hope its not TUBULAR BELLS IV : The Vocal Version !! :(  :laugh:

I also hope there's an instrumental in with the songs !
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Oct. 15 2010, 14:40

Gotta say I'm intrigued! What on earth is he up to? Was TB sent just as general inspiration for Mikes types of music or is something specific to TB being thought of? Why send TB anyway? For working with a lyricist surely sending one of Mikes *songs* would have been a first choice? Or is it lyrics to a "non-pop" type piece that Mike is thinking of. So many more questions than answers...

Any way I think about it, the only definite conclusion I'm coming to so far is being pleased that something new might be in the works - whatever shape it might take!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2010, 14:50

Well, since it's Don Black, perhaps Tubular Bells, The Muscial is on its way...

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 15 2010, 14:54

Maybe Mike will add music to the lyrics, not the other way around? I think Elton John kind of does that. Operas too.
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2010, 14:58

That's probably the most likely outcome although TB The Musical would be quite funny.

--------------
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Oct. 15 2010, 15:01

Quote (kazav @ Oct. 15 2010, 19:50)
Well, since it's Don Black, perhaps Tubular Bells, The Muscial is on its way...

Hmmm, maybe I was right about Teleprompter ;)

Welcome to the forums BTW Kazav!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2010, 15:03

Thanks Matt. I intend to hang around and be present a lot more from now on  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2010, 21:01

Quote (Olivier @ Oct. 15 2010, 20:54)
.. Operas too.

;) Well, Mike Oldfield's single could be a very nice opera song ! Just imagine a moment !
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 15 2010, 21:51

Didn't one of the record labels back in the day listen to the TB demo and say "Slap some vocals on it and we'll do a deal"?
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2010, 01:15

Hi toobs. I read Korg's post last night and coulda been the first reply(gee, yay)......but I read the article from the link and figured I'd better let a few replies trickle down. Gather some intel or at least lean on deferred mimickry. Don Black, never heard of him, but reading about this, it sounds like a bad idea. DB sounds like an old school songwriter of the corny style:Burt Bacharach(sp), or God forbid, Neil Sedaka. Amarok meets "Love Will Keep Us Together"? Please say it ain't so. MO is equated with the likes of deep prog such as Gilmour or Hackett, or at the very least, Howe. Please don't do this to me. MO and Neil Diamond sing "Sweet Caroline"? MO and Three Dog Night sing "Joy To The World". Oh no....Uh uh.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2010, 05:28

D'oh - just emailed this to the news address without reading the site. Silly me!

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2010, 03:29

He says, "I've just written with Mike Oldfield, and he sent me Tubular Bells."

At first I thought he meant he'd  written lyrics for TB,  but now I read it that Mike sent TB like as a present, to get a feel for his music.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2010, 04:08

So he's been working the in the music industry for all these years and hasn't heard Tubular Bells?
It's a bit like "I've started writing this fella Paul McCartney. He sent me a copy of this album SgtPepper. They used to call themselves the Beatles! Two of the guys are dead now BTW, did you know?"

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2010, 04:47

I think your all reading to much into this, Black said he wrote with Mike, then Mike sent TB's, so I read into that, that Mike sent TB's as a present. not everyone in the world owns TB's, and judging from Blacks past work, he may well not have it.

But, I think its a good step forward for Mike, at least it shows he still wants to make music, and he is still trying to make songs, not something he has done a lot of in the recent years. Also, by his own admission he was never that good with lyrics, so I am interested to see what comes of this.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2010, 06:35

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Oct. 17 2010, 04:47)
Also, by his own admission he was never that good with lyrics, so I am interested to see what comes of this.

I think Mike is wrong there, when he's on form he can write great lyrics, so long as we disregard 1984-1988!! I'm a bit suspicious of this Don Black fella though but I'm open to it, let's see what happens.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2010, 08:21

:) Maybe , he has composed something like Crises ; a part with a long piece and a second with songs !
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2010, 09:37

What we need to know is how the use of Don Black links in with Mike's Telecaster idea assuming he's still excited about the latter ? !  :)
Profile PM 
31 replies since Oct. 15 2010, 09:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net