Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Elements DVD< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 28 2004, 16:09

mikeoldfield.org has posted a review of the newly released Elements DVD. You can order if from Amazon.co.uk (PAL, all regions), Amazon.ca (NTSC, all regions), and Amazon.fr (PAL, region 2).

Update: We have created a forum to talk about the DVD.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 28 2004, 16:29

It is not at amazon.com
Yet.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2004, 01:16

And, I can't see anywhere that says it will be released in Australia anytime soon.  :(

Oh well, I'm just glad it has come out at all, with all the problems and delays it has been having. I am very glad to see that it appears to be worth the wait. I will certainly be ordering mine very shortly.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2004, 02:12

There is a lovely full page colour advert in the latest issue of 'Record Collector' magazine (No. 305 Christmas 2004), and a small piece in the preceeding page ('Elemental Oldfield')about the 'Elements' DVD.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2004, 08:59

Despite having seen all the conformations, I still felt a little rush of surprise to walk into the shop on Saturday and find a stack of them awaiting me (though, good as it promised to be, I only took one! ).

My verdict? I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's the best Mike Oldfield release there's been in a very long time. Sure, I can find negative points, but they're massively outweighed by the fact that Elements is the first time that many of these videos have seen such a large scale release on any format and that the quality is really quite decent.

For anyone with a PAL capable TV, the rumours are true - it's region free. The people at Virgin seem to have been listening quite closely to fans, and seem to have been determined to make an effort to go one better than Warner...I think it's fair to say they've managed that.

Now, I wonder if they can be persuaded to release a similar collection of live videos based around The Essential...
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2004, 14:45

Love the blue peter video, class it is.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2004, 19:31

Yup, Virgin now should start a DVD collection of Mike Oldfield Live videos, like the Essential, and others like maybe the 1984 Viareggio concert? I could think of a dozen more. Say, didn't Mike say a few years ago he found the original video recordings of the Elizabeth Hall performance? He said he maybe wanted to release it. Well, Mike??????? Release that instead of those signed albums of yours :zzz:

Still waiting for my copy of the Elements DVD. Hope to get it tommorow. And it's rather expensive here (€ 26 !! )

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 30 2004, 21:03

now im exiting like a child...
You now... (i order Elements DVD on cdon.com)
and they told me that they would send me the dvd 3 desember.
But the gooooooood thing is  :D

because.... this was a suprise for me!!!
They have allready send it  :D
Mamby i will get it tomorrow??????

Im sooooo glad...
Because i have count the day down to 3 des and havent checked my status in my order. But now; just to look and see if they have any new stuff in my order the lovely words told me that it was allready sent  :)

mamby its gonna be a lovly morning

:D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Ludor Tudor Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2004, 07:51

Oh this DVD is just superb! It was really fun watching videos I've never seen before.  :)
It's things like this that make me like Virgin Records a lot more then Warner. (I know Warner owns EMI wich own Virgin, but still...  :p )

And it may be good to know that you can win your own copy at my page oldfield.no...
Just click the link: Competition

Good luck!

--------------
Kjell at oldfield.no
Why don't you have a try to win at the competition?
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2004, 08:09

Ludor,
I think that the competition is wonderful and generous. However, it looks like the winner will receive his or her prize more than 7 months from now. I know I will have obtained it another way before then, and this is probably true of other Oldfield enthusiasts.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2004, 12:00

Well, bought the DVD today. And the music store told me they already had it on November 26th!! jeez  :/

Also paid quite a lot of money (€ 28 to be exact! ). Well, here's my opinion:

On first sight a rather nice design. The menu also looks refreshing but like somebody said before the letters are rather small. Doesn't really matter though. The videos are really nice, although Abbey Road Interactive (yup) could have made a better job with Portsmouth. I can see stripes and digital lines, which doesn't make it really superb quality. It could be because of the fact that it was one of the videos which was shot in film (most video clips are shot in video).

I've got some critical points on the sound: in most video clips I hear the volume go down a little and then back up again. It's really annoying when you pay attention to it. Don Alfonso also doesn't sound really "fresh". The rest of the sound is average to good.

Now that we're talking about Don Alfonso: really FUNNY clip. It's about Don Alfonso himself who enters a spanish town on his horse and meets his sweet señora (beautifully tall lady by the way ;) ). I don't know who wrote the video clip (maybe Mike and David), but I do know they really had as sense of humour! I won't give away too much details, you have to see it yourself!

I was rather dissapointed with To France. Virgin chose for the video clip in the studio with the audience, instead of the video clip which was recorded in the german studios (with the water and flames). As for Innocent: The non-animated videoclip is present on the DVD. Maybe the animated version is hidden somewhere? I tried to find it but did not succeed, so I fear it isn't...

Furthermore I was really happy to see William Tell Overture, Guilty, Blue Peter, Wonderful Land and Crime of Passion in this great quality. The whole of Wind Chimes is also present.

Although the interview with Mike Oldfield misses some pieces which were present on the Elements VHS! They've added some little pieces which weren't on the VHS though.

My overall rating: a MUST for every Oldfield fan! The audio could have been better and some videos could have used some better cleaning work. But I don't think most people are bothered with this, as they are happy enough to have these clips on DVD.

My word to Virgin: release the whole of Space Movie and The Essential Mike Oldfield please!!! "REFLECTIONS" would be VERY nice too, as well as the "ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE" documentry and some more live recordings of Mike. Oh yeah, did I mention the "1973 Queen Elizabeth Hall" performance? ;)

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2004, 14:23

Reflection is one of the more boring documental I've ever seen in my life!!!

The next DVD should be Knebworth, plus "Wembley 83" as an extra, a whole live DVD!! If there is enough room, another good extra would be some concert from the Discovery Tour, like Viareggio, or another one.
Profile PM 
Melomaniac
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 01 2004, 16:37

I tried to get my copy of the dvd last monday but unfortunately they didn´t have it yet at the store. Anyway, after having read your post above,I´m very excited about purchasing the dvd though I think I already have got every videos and clips in the dvd except don Alfonso. However, I wonder if there is a videoclip of To France where everybody wore XVIII century dresses or maybe it was something made in spanish tv. I can hardly remember I watched something similar on tv at the time. Does anybody know something about? Maybe I only dreamt of it, ;-)
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2004, 20:23

Quote (Nacho @ Dec. 01 2004, 20:23)
Reflection is one of the more boring documental I've ever seen in my life!!!

The next DVD should be Knebworth, plus "Wembley 83" as an extra, a whole live DVD!! If there is enough room, another good extra would be some concert from the Discovery Tour, like Viareggio, or another one.

Well, Reflections is rather interesting if you look closely to what they compare (various shapes from nature being used in human constructions). But I like that "70's" style it has and the music, it's those two things that make it fascinating for me.

As for Wembley '83, I did understand the (video)recordings were rather poor, so I doubt if they will ever release that.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Ludor Tudor Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2004, 06:12

Quote (hiawatha @ Dec. 01 2004, 14:09)
Ludor,
I think that the competition is wonderful and generous. However, it looks like the winner will receive his or her prize more than 7 months from now. I know I will have obtained it another way before then, and this is probably true of other Oldfield enthusiasts.

My dear hiawatha... :p I guess you are from the US, where you start with the month and then the date, like december 2nd 2004.
Well I live in Europe - and here we use two systems: 2005.01.07 or like mine 07.01.2005. This is as you may understand january 7th 2005... YYYYMMDD or DDMMYYYY

I have also been tricked by this when watching american dates, like in my favourite comic Garfield. It could be a comic in the norwegian magazine wich I would like to read in english at garfield.com. the date is for example 06.10.87. and I check out the 6th of october 87. but the stripe is wrong... but then I remember...

But I have changed my way of writing the date now, so there will be no more problems...

--------------
Kjell at oldfield.no
Why don't you have a try to win at the competition?
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2004, 07:18

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Dec. 01 2004, 13:00)
I was rather dissapointed with To France. Virgin chose for the video clip in the studio with the audience, instead of the video clip which was recorded in the german studios (with the water and flames).

Never heard about this other version of To France,only the one in the german studios...more details on that?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2004, 07:55

Ludor, My mistake! I see it now.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2004, 08:17

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Dec. 01 2004, 17:00)
I've got some critical points on the sound: in most video clips I hear the volume go down a little and then back up again. It's really annoying when you pay attention to it.

Is it actually the DVD which is like that? I've only played it so far on my software player, which has the Dolby dynamic range compression permanently on - not a subtle form of compression at all, it leads to some pretty horrid level changes...I'd assumed that the slightly dodgy level fluctuations were just that (they sound like it). If not, then it is indeed rather poor. I'll have to check this out on a proper player.

Don Alfonso is indeed rather dull sounding, though it could well be that the original mix was rather dull in itself (I've certainly never heard a bright sounding version of it). The sound for The Space Movie is also rather lo-fi. I don't have serious complaints about either of those really, but they're small negative points nevertheless.
Profile PM 
tubulartrekkie
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 02 2004, 08:20

^^ Further to what Blue Dolphin said, I've also noticed some fluctuating sound levels on some of the video clips. It's quite annoying especially on Shine and Pictures in the Dark, as I only have them on this DVD :/
I don't really know what's causing the problem as it only seems to happen when I'm playing the disc on my computer - the sound level seems okay on my playstation (going thru a nicam stereo tv).
 Is anyone else having problems?
tubulartrekkie
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 02 2004, 08:27

^^Korgscrew. Is there anyway of turning that compression off, assuming that's what's causing the problem? Kinda bugs me that I can't listen to it without those horrible effects spoiling things  :(
47 replies since Nov. 28 2004, 16:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net