Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Do you have a question for Mike?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
yhtomitb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 28 2012, 14:42

Quote (larstangmark @ Nov. 27 2012, 16:50)
The exposed dvd is 13£ at amazon co.uk. Is that out of your price range? :O

I was referring to NTSC actually. I'm on the other side of the pond. http://www.amazon.com/Mike-Ol....sed+DVD

While I am at it, does anyone have any feedback on audio performance when playing PAL music discs on a Multi-Region player for playback in the US? Does it play at the correct speed for both video and audio?
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 28 2012, 20:34

Why not buy the cheaper version and then just use a free converter like DVD Shrink to burn a watchable copy for your region.

Btw compared to the Exposed version this concert was a let down.
Mike totally misses his solo in TB part 2  :(
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2012, 04:48

Quote (Milamber @ Nov. 28 2012, 20:34)
Btw compared to the Exposed version this concert was a let down.
Mike totally misses his solo in TB part 2  :(

Lots of stuff here and there that doesn't work out. Tuning is so-so from time to time also. But some parts work are just pure magic, so it's a bit of a roller coaster ride.
Another surprise is the obvious use of tape loops for percussion parts.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2012, 15:41

Hi, Mike!!!

1 - Which recording of a past album brings you the dearest memories, and which one the most dreadful ones??

2 - Which musical dream haven't you achieved yet, and hope to be able to fulfill in the future??

3 - I'd love to know your opinion about progressive rock bands like Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Supertramp, The Alan Parsons Project or E.L.O. Which is your favourite? Did any of them influence your music at any point??

4 - Which one of your past albums would you record in a different way if you had the chance of going back??

5 - Which is your favourite vocal song, short instrumental and long instrumental piece in your catalogue??

Thanks a lot!!! May God bless you and give you a lot of success and happiness in your life. And thanks for your music!!

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
nono01 Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2012, 13:51

Hello. here are my questions:

I'm searching for Requiem for a city's lyrics. Where can i find them?

What is the organ (make, model ans settings) used in the very beginning of Hergest Ridge part 2 and at 15:37 ? I would really like to find the same sound and use it with VST instruments.

Thanks.
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2012, 16:14

I'm afraid the deadline has already passed guys.  :/
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 30 2012, 17:10

Quote (Black Bunik @ Nov. 30 2012, 20:14)
I'm afraid the deadline has already passed guys.  :/

At least as far as we know, it has! I'm not 100% sure whether Torsten's actually done his interview with Mike yet or not, so we might be able to slip a few extra questions in...but of course, like I indicated before, just because the question's been passed on doesn't mean it'll get asked, unfortunately (I really did try to squash them down into a form that might be practical to work from, but I think even the condensed version's going to be too long). Hopefully it'll come together into a good interview, though - I know that's not quite the same as the conversation a lot of fans might like to have with him, but at least there are some really interesting questions which might be a bit more revealing than what the usual press articles reveal.

If it's any consolation, though...I think there are actually a fair number of questions which people out here in the community could answer.

Like, just for example, nono01's question about the organ...my guess is that's the Farfisa Professional and if you want to either start a topic about it or send me an IM, I can give you a hand with getting a sound like that out of modern equipment/software. The same goes for all "How does Mike get that sound?" type questions - if posting on the forum about it doesn't get my attention, send me an IM to wake me up and I can probably give you more information than any sane person would want (if you're sane before you've asked the question, you might not be by the time you've read the answer).
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2012, 17:18

Quote (Korgscrew @ Nov. 30 2012, 17:10)
The same goes for all "How does Mike get that sound?" type questions - if posting on the forum about it doesn't get my attention, send me an IM to wake me up and I can probably give you more information than any sane person would want (if you're sane before you've asked the question, you might not be by the time you've read the answer).

Oh really? That's great! When I am going to need a hand with some patches on my GT-8, I'll definitely ask you. :)
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2012, 09:59

Well, if any questions don't get included, maybe Mike will answer them on Facebook now he's there. Can only try.

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2012, 12:34

I'd really like to hear the answer to "would you still rather be on horseback" :) I guess not seeing as he's into motorbikes and helicopters now, but I'd like to hear one anyway! (Hopefully longer than "uh, no")

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2012, 14:58

Quote (Navaira @ Dec. 02 2012, 12:34)
I'd really like to hear the answer to "would you still rather be on horseback" :) I guess not seeing as he's into motorbikes and helicopters now, but I'd like to hear one anyway! (Hopefully longer than "uh, no")

I am not really interested in the answer as in his reaction. Just testing his sense of humour. I hope it will make him laugh at least. :)
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2012, 07:44

Doesn't his missus breed horses?, he might be on horseback every day !
Profile PM 
Xavi Martinez Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2012, 09:40

2 technical questions on Platinum

- What synth is the intro ?

- What did you use to get your guitar lead tone LIVE in the early 80's ? specially any boost or distortion pedal involved ?

Sorry for the tech questions but there's not any info about it anywhere.....and I've wanted to know since I was a kid :)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2012, 11:20

Quote (Xavi Martinez @ Dec. 04 2012, 13:40)
- What synth is the intro ?

I'd bet that's a Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 - released in 1978, so the hot new polysynth of the time. It has a certain 'light' quality to the high end (which can also become searing in some sounds) which is there in that sound too.

I've never tried programming a replica of that sound, actually...I dare say it might not take all that long...

- What did you use to get your guitar lead tone LIVE in the early 80's ? specially any boost or distortion pedal involved ?

There's an interview or two about that amongst the articles here on tubular.net - it was the Mk.1 Boogie, plus - as you suspect - he had a preamp (something custom made if I recall correctly, but basically just a clean boost rather than a treble boost or additional overdrive) boosting the signal further. If I remember right, there was a graphic equaliser involved as well. Something you also occasionally hear is an octaving effect, which gives the sound a larger, more 'creamy' tone - I believe that was one of the Eventide Harmonizers.
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2012, 15:13

Quote (Korgscrew @ Nov. 27 2012, 05:04)
As far as I've heard from Universal up until now, the plan is definitely to release everything up to and including Heaven's Open. It's the only way to keep them available to buy, as all that's left of the Virgin editions is whatever retailers might still have in stock.

Exposed is one which they're leaving until the end. You're right that there are loads of recordings from that tour and that's precisely the reason they haven't made a firm decision about what to do yet! It's possible they might even release all of it as a big boxed set of some kind, but that could depend on a lot of things (including what Mike ends up being happy with). It's definitely not been forgotten about, though, they just don't want to say too much until they've properly worked out what to do.

Many thanks for the info Korgscrew, sounds like Exposed could be well worth the wait!  :D

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2012, 12:26

Quote (Atane @ Nov. 21 2012, 17:08)
-Has Mike started working on the next Deluxe reissues? When will they be released?
-Has Mike an opinion in the 'CD Vs Vinyl' war?
-Is he in touch with artists he collaborated with? Jon Anderson, Simon Philipps, Maggie Reilly, Barry Palmer,...

Thanks !!

I'm sure I heard Mike say he wasn't a fan of vinyl (something about scratching the sound out) so I guess he was a fan of reel to reel.
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2012, 10:08

Quote (Korgscrew @ Nov. 21 2012, 16:44)
Mike's going to be having a Skype chat with Torsten Stenzel soon...

Is it this kind of soon?

"Soon: Copyright 2004-2012 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Blizzard Entertainment and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Blizzard does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Blizzard will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon.""

Do we have any update on when will the interview be or if it was? :)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2012, 10:42

I'd been under the impression that he needed the questions by the 26th because he was going to be seeing/talking to Mike within a day or so of that date, but I think maybe some plans changed...but still, I'd think something would have happened by now. Hopefully sometime before the end of time, at least (assuming that's not on December 21st) ;)

I'll see if I can get any information out of Torsten and report back on this :)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2012, 17:38

Apparently they're now waiting for a time when they're both free to do it - likely sometime in the new year.
Profile PM 
Richard Branson Offline

Posted: Dec. 20 2012, 20:44

Quote (Black Bunik @ Nov. 22 2012, 05:15)
2. Cars or Chaos?

Seriously?
You don't seem to be up to date: http://tubular.net/faq/#2.10
;)
Profile PM 
60 replies since Nov. 21 2012, 16:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net