Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Did anyone spot the melody?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ThisName Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 10:03

Hi all, did Anyone sp that the melody from Evacuation is very similar if not the same to Tres Lunas.

I spotted it last night, but of course they sound very different in their relative contexts but I'm sure its the same.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 12:41

I'm going to have a listen now - but I'm not suprised, I was playing moonlight shadow on the guitar the other day and I started to get confused with the order of the notes and played portmouth  - I thn got the music out and Moonlight shadow is basically a re-arrangement of the note from Portsmouth.  I thought - Wow what a damn good idear for a cheat if you are trying to write a new song.

I also noticed this recently with Mark Knoffler's local hero theme - it is exactly the same notes as a song called Dirty Old Town which is a traditional song redone by the pogues!!!!  Good Eh!

Ray :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 18:34

?? Is there a melody in Evacuation? :D :D

Joking aside: no, it's not similar. At least not to my ears. The rhythmic pattern may sound similar (dumm...dumm...dum-dum...), but the notes are not similar, and of course it's not the same feel. It's not unusual for Mike to recycle his own tunes, as with the "Let there be light" tune first appearing as far back as on Amarok, but I don't think he did in this case. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2018, 01:24

And the choppy sound is also present in "Music for the Video Wall" (at around 2'29"). My entry in this year's "Most obscure Tubular.net post of the year"  :)
Profile PM 
3 replies since Mar. 22 2006, 10:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net