Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Bones - The Trap, Killing Fields leftovers?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
dazzler Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 23 2009, 17:55

When you listen to Bones (bonus track on To France 12")
carefully, you can hear the same kind of shouting that you can hear
in the movie. Cattle Drivers at work ...

It does make sense this could be a left over from The Killing Fields.
The rambling bones are obviously part of the films main theme.
It's all about bones and skulls, isn't it?

Even The Trap (bonus track on Pictures in the Dark 12")
uses very similar synth chords as on many Killing Fields tracks.
Although it sounds more like the trapping of a mouse, its title fits
inbetween titles such as Evacuation, Capture and Execution.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 23 2009, 20:03

I remember reading somewhere that Legend was written with the 1985 Ridley Scott film of the same name in mind; the fact that it's included alongside The Trap on the Pictures in the Dark 12" makes me wonder if both of them were destined for the same film.
Bones certainly does sound like it belongs to The Killing Fields. Mike recorded a lot more music than was used in the film; he initially scored the whole thing with Fairlight-based music, which the Roland Joffé wasn't happy with (he then asked if he could have a choir and orchestra and the rest, as they say, is history) - I'd not be surprised if Bones is one of the many pieces which were cut out. The Trap could be too - harder to tell with that one.
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 04:38

I think that Bones wasn't included in the movie was because it takes place in Cambodia. The male choir you hear in the track Bones comes from Bali (i believe it's called The Monkey's Dance), so Mike got his natives mixed up.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2010, 20:14

Quote (dazzler @ June 23 2009, 23:55)
Even The Trap (bonus track on Pictures in the Dark 12")
uses very similar synth chords as on many Killing Fields tracks.
Although it sounds more like the trapping of a  M O U S E, its title fits
inbetween titles such as Evacuation, Capture and Execution.

... evacuation, capture and execution of the mouse, u mean???

That one will likely annoy Mike... he uses to hang around here...

...hihihi...  :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2010, 20:16

Serious. I think 'Bones' is much more 'Islands'.

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2010, 04:05

Quote (oblique @ June 24 2009, 04:38)
I think that Bones wasn't included in the movie was because it takes place in Cambodia. The male choir you hear in the track Bones comes from Bali (i believe it's called The Monkey's Dance), so Mike got his natives mixed up.

Bali? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mike travel to Bali to record/film stuff that he used with Islands/Wind Chimes? If so, is it possible that he did this already in 1985? This could mean that Bones could be a piece that evolved into Wind Chimes. Does anyone know when it was recorded?
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2010, 09:46

Haven't listened to it for a long time but i think it was on out take for TKF (which would place it in 1984 not 1985).If it was from the version Mike recorded using the Fairlight,which it is almost all recorded on,then i took it to be from the scene when Pran is walking through the Killing Fields themselves and is walking on the bones of the dead.The name suggests this.Doesn't sound to me like it would be from the Islands sessions.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2010, 15:28

The natives' voices are identical as the ones sampled in 'The Wind Chimes' and the musical similarity is obvious. 'Bones' is undoubtedly an outtake from 'Islands', maybe even from 'The Wind Chimes'..

--------------
Profile PM 
dazzler Offline

Posted: May 10 2012, 12:29

If Bones was an Islands outtake, why was it recorded and released in 1984 on the Discovery 12" single To France? It doesn't make sense that Mike was already preparing Islands in 1984. It makes more sense that he indeed made an Azian trip and collected some voices for the Killing Fields score.

The clue on Bones is the noise of the cattle drivers that appears in the Killing Fields movie. It makes sense though, that Mike used the recorded vocal samples (that he made perparing The Killing Fields) on his next album The Wind Chimes. But he recorded them with The Killing Fields in mind, in my opinion. So Bones is a finished leftover from the movie score. It doesn't connect with the other Discovery stuff.

The reason why I included The Trap in the topic title is because of the use of synthesizers and the track title. The main characters in the Killing Fields story were trapped, captured and evacuated many times. So the title The Trap makes sense alongside the titles Capture and Evacuation or even Execution or Departure and last but not least The Trek.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: May 10 2012, 15:58

Right. It's very obvious that Bones and The Trap are from TKF. The percussion instruments on Bones are the same as played by Preston Heyworth on Blood Sucking.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: May 10 2012, 17:24

Aren't the "Killing Fields" filled with "Bones"?

Not exactly rocket science.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: May 11 2012, 00:27

You're right. Also the titels prove it.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: May 11 2012, 22:05

I only really know Legend (from when my Platinum Collection sprang back to life).  I hope to get more acquainted with the others a bit better later, but would tentatively speculate that all of these tracks could be from the film's sessions.  Legend's two tunes may be that short because they overlaid or underscored scenes that didn't require lengthier motifs.  The first tune evocates bygone Europe for me as much as everyone else, but I don't have to concentrate too hard to hear it as an Eastern melody too.

I definitely don't know enough to state QED after this next point, but The Trap was a piece co-written by David Bedford...

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: May 11 2012, 23:39

And as i stated earlier that the native part in Bones is in fact from Bali, Indonesia:
Tari Kecak Bali on YouTube

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 12 2012, 10:24

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ May 12 2012, 04:05)
I definitely don't know enough to state QED after this next point, but The Trap was a piece co-written by David Bedford...

Really? I had no idea! Does it say so on the single's sleeve? I guess I never really looked closely at it when I got the 12" (already had the 7"). Makes sense though. And what an awesome track.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: May 12 2012, 10:37

Quote (Holger @ May 12 2012, 10:24)
Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ May 12 2012, 04:05)

Really? I had no idea! Does it say so on the single's sleeve? I guess I never really looked closely at it when I got the 12" (already had the 7"). Makes sense though. And what an awesome track.

It's credited only to MO. The Year Zero on TKF was written and arranged by David Bedford.
Profile PM 

Posted: May 12 2012, 10:59

Quote (stpaul @ May 12 2012, 10:37)
It's credited only to MO. The Year Zero on TKF was written and arranged by David Bedford.

Have at you, sir!  I slap you with my glove and direct you to Amadian. :laugh: http://www.amadian.net/singles2.htm#Pictures_In_The_Dark

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 13 2012, 10:36

Perhaps Mike's trip to Bali was much earlier than 1987?
I think (and I know not everybody agrees) that the Wind Chimes was a bit of a throwaway composition - the trademark one-side instrumental done by numbers but now with more computers. And for that reason I don't think Mike would have travelled to get a few vocals samples for it. I think it's more likely that he checked what he had lying around and found some old recordings from his Bali vacation a few years earlier.

BTW "The trap" does sound more like a David Bedford piece than a MO piece.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
stpaul Offline

Posted: May 13 2012, 11:03

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ May 12 2012, 10:59)
Quote (stpaul @ May 12 2012, 10:37)

Have at you, sir!  I slap you with my glove and direct you to Amadian. :laugh: http://www.amadian.net/singles2.htm#Pictures_In_The_Dark

But you won't find this information anywhere else. On the label of the German and UK 12" it's credited to MO.

PITD 12"
Profile PM 

Posted: May 13 2012, 12:15

Conceded!  An unexpected call into work, followed by a couple of booked hours at the library computer and I was yawning more than a little by the time Gus and Jason's Amarok was over.  Time, and ignorance of your link, saw me rapidly searching Google images to see if I could see a label before I decided to fit a post into my last couple of minutes.

Which doesn't really cover the other faux pas.  I was thrusting at you with my rapier before I declared the duel!

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
20 replies since June 23 2009, 17:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net