Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Better than MOTS< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Legend Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 08 2011, 04:29

There may be a better thread to put this, but have any of you been to the place near Hua Hin, Thailand where part of scenes took place? I went there with my former girlfriend years back in ´89 - quite an experience.

TKF has its moments but i do prefer MOTS. Pran´s Departure etc are wonderful and emotional though.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2011, 09:20

@ Wiga: sorry for shouting. I think that my opinion about TKF is extremely well known among the whole board, so I get really irritated when anyone says it's superior to anything released by Mike O., because to me it's enormously inferior. :)

@ nightspore: if you think of it, that Monty Python sketch (at least in the part you quoted) is really very philosophical. Palin and Cleese do their best to show in a simple and effective way what an argument is, by engaging themselves in a meta-argument. And of course the best thing about the sketch is that it's damn funny. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2011, 09:33

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 08 2011, 09:20)
@ nightspore: if you think of it, that Monty Python sketch (at least in the part you quoted) is really very philosophical. Palin and Cleese do their best to show in a simple and effective way what an argument is, by engaging themselves in a meta-argument. And of course the best thing about the sketch is that it's damn funny. :D

Agreed. Palin has always been my favourite Python. Ripping Yarns is a favourite, particularly "The Curse of the Claw", where the members of a "very frank tribe" do an absurd dance about "the three ladies and the gentleman".  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2011, 09:42

@ nightspore: I've never seen Ripping Yarns - that's post-Flying Circus, right? Do you have a YouTube link for that episode? Anyway, Palin is still funny now. His performance of the Woman Centuwion who is always busy wepwessing wowdy webellions, in Not the Messiah, is absolutely hilarious. :cool:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2011, 10:05

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 08 2011, 14:20)
@ Wiga: sorry for shouting. I think that my opinion about TKF is extremely well known among the whole board, so I get really irritated when anyone says it's superior to anything released by Mike O., because to me it's enormously inferior. :)

Ugo - fair enough, but I hope you will give us space to explore the subject again! The Killing Fields hasn't been discussed in some time I notice, and I'm still discovering it for myself. I need to see the film next and hear how the music impacts as a soundtrack.  :)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2011, 10:33

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 08 2011, 09:42)
@ nightspore: I've never seen Ripping Yarns - that's post-Flying Circus, right? Do you have a YouTube link for that episode? Anyway, Palin is still funny now. His performance of the Woman Centuwion who is always busy wepwessing wowdy webellions, in Not the Messiah, is absolutely hilarious. :cool:

Here you go, Ugo. It's in parts, unfortunately, but they're all here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1josASw50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psd0okyYNUI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CzQTRwXWY8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtHtexbBqwU
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 02:40

I was all set for taping The Killing Fields film last night but couldn't find it on BBC. It was on BBC HD - don't have "HD".

Anyhow - I was kind of relieved! That's the thing - deep down I wasn't looking forward to watching this film. If I don't watch it then I can't fully appreciate Milke's soundtrack. I think that's why it gets overlooked - basically the film spoils it.

I can play MoTS any day.

--------------
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 08:35

Superb nightspore. I watched all parts. Great stuff. "I was talking metaphorically sir"   :laugh:

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 08:43

Quote (HR lover @ Mar. 10 2011, 08:35)
Superb nightspore. I watched all parts. Great stuff. "I was talking metaphorically sir"   :laugh:

Glad you liked it, HR - although I should have posted it in the "What Are You Playing Now" thread. (I keep expecting Matt to tap me on the shoulder, and going "I say I say I say [add something threatening here])  :laugh:

The other episodes are funny too, eg "Across the Andes by Frog".
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 09:00

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 10 2011, 13:43)
Glad you liked it, HR - although I should have posted it in the "What Are You Playing Now" thread. (I keep expecting Matt to tap me on the shoulder, and going "I say I say I say [add something threatening here])  :laugh:
I say I say I say I say, please stop making *soooo* many off-topic posts in *soooo* many threads or I mght not buy your book ;) !

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 09:18

Quote (Matt @ Mar. 10 2011, 09:00)
Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 10 2011, 13:43)
I say I say I say I say, please stop making *soooo* many off-topic posts in *soooo* many threads or I mght not buy your book ;) !

:laugh:  :laugh:

Getting back to TKF, I'm surprised that Mike agreed to do a soundtrack to what would obviously be an obviously harrowing film (I haven't got up to the part in Changeling that deals with this.) One possibility is that he didn't realise the film would be as harrowing as it was. He found The Exorcist not to be as disturbing as he had expected, after all. (I share that view, actually: for me the worst scene in The Exorcist is that nasty execution at the beginning. I can't abide representations of torture in films or books. I was disturbed for months after I read the opening pages of Foucault's Discipline and Punish. (Resist the temptation to check it out; many have used the events depicted to argue for the non-existence of God.)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 13:23

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 10 2011, 09:18)
I share that view, actually: for me the worst scene in The Exorcist is that nasty execution at the beginning.

Sorry, but which one? As far as my memory goes back, there is--

SPOILERRIFIC POST BELOW!!

HERE BE SPOILERS

-- only one on-screen death in the entire film, which is Father Karras jumping headfirst through the window, and it's not an execution and it's at the end. And I have watched both the original cut and the more recent director's cut of the film. Aren't you thinking of one of the sequels?

HERE BE NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

Regarding The Killing Fields, could it possibly be that Mike was actually interested in the film and its subject matter? After all, it wasn't some gratuitous exploitation flick, but a film based on an event even more horrific than the film itself. I don't know, some people are actually able to appreciate art even when it's gruesome, otherwise Scorcese, Coppola and Tarantino would be banished from Earth.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 17:11

Quote (wiga @ Mar. 10 2011, 02:40)
I was all set for taping The Killing Fields film last night but couldn't find it on BBC. It was on BBC HD - don't have "HD".

Anyhow - I was kind of relieved! That's the thing - deep down I wasn't looking forward to watching this film. If I don't watch it then I can't fully appreciate Milke's soundtrack. I think that's why it gets overlooked - basically the film spoils it.

I can play MoTS any day.

A little puzzling, Wiga, my apologies for putting you to the trouble though.  I have Freesat this week so I had a quick run across the BBC1 regional channels once the film has started, for no reason other than to see exactly where the other nations were at that time.  Scotland had Westminster Questions or something like it, Northern Ireland and Wales were on Film 2011, but all the English regions I found on the way were as here in East and The Killing Fields was on. I can't swear that yours was for sure...

It was as affecting as ever of course.  For the purpose of judging Mike's score, unreleased bits and all, it's a mixed blessing with some pieces you might know from the soundtrack low in the mix or shortened.  The evacuation of the American Embassy is as startling as I remembered and that is equal parts Mike, and all the people making those chaotic scenes flow together.  I had certainly forgotten how much of the early part of the film uses no music beyond what's being played on radios (reminding me, as it happens, of the discussion about Paul McCartney being used in a negative context and John Lennon good).  When the score does kick in, it helps break your heart and destroy your soul.  Knowing what's coming, you still wish with all your might that John Malkovich and Julian Sands are going to manage to get the passport photo to fix.  We do end in an upbeat fashion and though the final captions are, and needed to, remain polemic, we can thankfully attest to Cambodia's recovery.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 17:46

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Mar. 10 2011, 22:11)
When the score does kick in, it helps break your heart and destroy your soul.

Ooh heck Cav - thanks for the warning. :/

I've since found The Killing Fields on BBC iPlayer, so I WILL watch it this weekend on the PC.

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2011, 07:41

Well, no I didn't watch it last weekend - the timing wasn't right - and too late now - it's not on iPlayer anymore. :/

So maybe I should give this a listen all the way through - just cold, without the film.

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2011, 17:56

I have been listening to the whole album again- and it's most DEFINATELY on a par with MoTS. I still haven't seen seen the film though.

--------------
Profile PM 
35 replies since Mar. 06 2011, 13:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net