Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Better than MOTS< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 06 2011, 13:43

I like it better than Music of the Spheres. It's more raw, straight to the point, emotional (but he kind of use easy tricks to achieve it), dramatic. In soundtracks, synths often work better for me than piano and acoustic guitar. Karl Jenkins is no David Bedford.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 06 2011, 14:13

Wow, never thought of Killing Fields as anything like as good as MOTS before but to be perfectly honest I've not listened to it much. <goes away to listen to Killing Fields again and then respond with a more informed view in a few days...>

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 06 2011, 14:59

Matt, I don't know if your viewing set-up enables you to get BBC1 HD but the film is on this Wednesday, the 9th of March, at 23.25.  The Horrible Definition versions are at 23.55 in Scotland and Wales ("we have to say goodbye to Northern Island now!").  I'm on holiday in England in an HD household, so divorced from my soundtrack copy for a while.

I too hadn't really made the comparison before, Olivier, but at first thought, it's tracks like Pran's Theme, Blood Sucking, Evacuation and Good News that spring to mind ahead of ones in MOTS.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2011, 00:23

Not a fan of Killing fields to be honest, it is what it is, a soundtrack, so cannot be compared to MOTS really.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2011, 03:05

Quote (Hastengas @ Mar. 07 2011, 00:23)
Not a fan of Killing fields to be honest, it is what it is, a soundtrack, so cannot be compared to MOTS really.

I disagree. I think they are perhaps his two most similar albums, after Tubular Bells and Tubular Bells 2003, and perhaps Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn. Orchestra, too many reprises of some themes, dark atmosphere, same kind of "classical" finale.

So if 2 pieces are not in the same category, they cannot be compared? That's absurd, you can compare the composition, the instrumentation, the inspiration, etc.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2011, 05:08

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Mar. 06 2011, 19:59)
Matt, I don't know if your viewing set-up enables you to get BBC1 HD but the film is on this Wednesday, the 9th of March, at 23.25.  

Been a long time since I've watched,hope I can catch it!

For me,TKF soundtrack only works while I'm watching the film,although I can listen to Evacuation. What a darker tune that gives me shivers down my spine.

There are 35 seconds of ab fab pleasure during Pran's Departure - one of the best themes Mike has ever composed(from 1.00 to 1.35 here),so uplifting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5F0_knPTHE

No,I won't compare to MOTS at all - would compare if it was composed as a soundtrack than a pure classical album.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 07 2011, 05:13

If you like/dislike something enough you can compare it to anything ,Take Mother in Laws for example :laugh:

But soundtracks are a funny beast, remembering back to loving the soundtracks to Dune, Blade Runner, Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet and oh god even The Mission.

Also watching these shows even now I rarely pull out the CD's ,With TKF's the music works really well indeed on film but could you sit through it time and time again?

The subject matter spoils what is a very effective soundtrack ,that I find hard to separate when listening.

Its probably why Good News is my favourite track.

I would rather compare MOTS to Chaos and Creation in the Back Yard by Macca.

Both albums by artists sounding their age.

Not a good thing but definitely avoidable imo  :)

Just like Mother in Laws :laugh:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2011, 05:23

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 07 2011, 05:08)
There are 35 seconds of ab fab pleasure during Pran's Departure - one of the best themes Mike has ever composed(from 1.00 to 1.35 here),so uplifting:

You're right, Tati - I think (to echo the point made by Milamber) that my knowledge of the film's subject matter has put me off giving the soundtrack a fair hearing. I don't intend to watch the film; not my cup of Lapsang.
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 07 2011, 05:47

It's a very sad and dark story,not an easy film to watch.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 07 2011, 06:27

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Mar. 06 2011, 19:59)
Matt, I don't know if your viewing set-up enables you to get BBC1 HD but the film is on this Wednesday, the 9th of March, at 23.25.  The Horrible Definition versions are at 23.55 in Scotland and Wales ("we have to say goodbye to Northern Island now!").

Heh, thanks for the notice Cavalier, I might just try and stay up for that (up in Scotland in glorious technicolour Horriblevision :D ).

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2011, 11:26

I think soundtracks are perfectly valid as "regular" music outside of the movie, like opera outside of the stage. Even more, soundtracks don't contain the dialogue of the movies excepted for the annoying Tarantino soundtracks where he always puts the movie right in your face, he makes his soundtracks visual in a way. Most people think the Tubular Bells opening theme is a soundtrack and that's fine. It's music, used as a soundtrack in this movie. I think I'm much more sensitive to sounds than pictures, so I don't think of the movie at all when I listen to Killing Fields or Blade Runner or Gladiator or 1492 (actually I haven't watch it yet). I would even not be able to tell what music happens in what scene.

I think soundtracks will live longer than movies actually. Movies the way they are today will be completely outdated someday, but their soundtracks will still be a great piece of art. And perhaps even what we call soundtracks today will be classical music in a couple of centuries.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2011, 15:36

Quote (Hastengas @ Mar. 07 2011, 05:23)
it is what it is, a soundtrack, so cannot be compared to MOTS really.

I love good soundtrack orchestral music. I think all Mike's long instrumentals are potential soundtracks, and I suspect The Killing Fields is on a par with MoTS. I have to admit though that my appreciation of  the soundtrack is blocked by it's association with the harrowing storyline and imagary. That's why I don't listen to it much, bar a few favourite tracks, like "Evacuation."

I watched Road to Perdition recently - a dark storyline -but BRILLIANT music by Tom Newman.

[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GShhFAx8f5M&feature=related]

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2011, 15:40

This really is VERY good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T3Cxy9uvgM

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2011, 17:27

@ Wiga - no, it's not. :) And to me TKF is in absolutely NO WAY any better than MotS. I still think TKF is the worst-ever album released by Mike.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 07 2011, 18:54

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 07 2011, 22:27)
@ Wiga  And to me TKF is in absolutely NO WAY any better than MotS.

MOTS >>>> TKF by far!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2011, 22:32

I think the point is that the music score for TKF was written to go with the film, whereas the Tubular Bells themes was adopted for The Exorcist. Soundtracks always sound like soundtracks.....written to accompany a section of film, and often ends abruptly due to the film sequence ending. Music of the Spheres is a classical piece, and a very good one at that, whereas TKF is exactly what it is......as someone mentioned earlier, not my cup of tea, and an album that Ive rarely listened to.....I dont like the film or its content as much as I would have liked to due to the MO connection.

Now changing the subject slightly.....I remember reading in the musical press years ago, that MO was commisioned to write the soundtrack for a film called Local Hero....I can remember eagerly looking forward to its release, only to find that Mark Knoppfler had written the score....can anyone verify this or is this the ramblings of some old geezer who has been stuck indoors for three weeks?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2011, 22:38

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 07 2011, 17:27)
@ Wiga - no, it's not. :)

"This isn't an argument - it's just contradiction!"
"No it isn't!"
"Yes it is!"

Monty Python

:laugh:
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 08 2011, 00:01

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 08 2011, 14:38)
"This isn't an argument - it's just contradiction!"
"No it isn't!"
"Yes it is!"

Monty Python

:laugh:

You should post that over in Ugo's reality calamity thread Dan.

Says it all :laugh:  :laugh:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2011, 00:38

I post too much, Cam - I should be more like Quietman.  :)

Perhaps Alan can answer your question  :cool:
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2011, 02:46

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 07 2011, 22:27)
@ Wiga - no, it's not. :) And to me TKF is in absolutely NO WAY any better than MotS. I still think TKF is the worst-ever album released by Mike.

Ugo - well you shout the loudest!

For me it's complicated. I haven't given Killing Fields a chance and never sat through the film. Just one look at the album cover raises anxieties!

I might tape it on Wednesday and see if I can stomach it - and report back.

--------------
Profile PM 
35 replies since Mar. 06 2011, 13:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net