Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: BBC4 to Broadcast Performance of Tubular Bells, 1974 Live Studio Performance< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 01 2009, 23:21

BBC Four will broadcast a 1974 live studio performance of Tubular Bells on Tuesday, 6 January at 20:30-21:00/8:30-9:00 PM (GMT). Click here for further information.

Thanks, Jonathan!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 02 2009, 00:03

Are you talking about the video where Mike has a mic duct taped to his acoustic guitar? Made in a large room with many freinds, I think he starts off playing bass for the first few minutes? If so, that is a good one. If not, lemme know how it turned out.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2009, 00:11

Did not take long to find, is this it?

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=t9A60e16SvM

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2009, 07:19

Second House performance detected  :D

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2009, 10:15

Yeah, it's probably the one that many of us know and love--the duration would be about right.

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2009, 10:40

But wouldn't that be november 30 1973?
Hulloder.nl's Mike Ratledge discography says this:
"30/11/1973, Mike Oldfield, BBC TV Studios, Shepherds Bush (Second House BBC Performance)."

On a sidenote, Karl Jenkins plays the oboe. In the MOTS promo interview says he had no idea at the time!  :laugh:

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2009, 15:01

It must be the 2nd House performance (which is on the Elements DVD) as this is the only studio performance Mike did of T. Bells in 1974 (the only other performance that year was a live gig at the Queen Elizabeth Hall).

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2009, 16:47

Indeed--accidentally watched it just the other day while meaning to put on Exposed and ended up with Elements.

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 02 2009, 21:56

I'm a bit tired of Mike Oldfield = Tubular Bells association!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2009, 19:53

@ Tati: yes, sometimes I am too. But aren't you tired of Queen = A Night at the Opera = Bohemian Rhapsody or of Led Zeppelin = Stairway to Heaven or of Pink Floyd = Dark Side of the Moon? :D I think having a single work that can be recognized as an artist's or a band's trademark is what makes a great artist really great. Artists which most people can associate with more than one great song or one great album are IMHO not that great. The only exception to this is, I think, the Alan Parsons Project. :)

Back on topic: I really love the 2nd House performance - it's the bit I play most often from the Elements DVD. Mike plays bass for most of it before switching to (acoustic) guitar and then back to bass, thus giving ample proof that he's a great bassist as well as a great guitarist. Just like another Mike - Mr. Rutherford. :)

@ larstangmark: who says he had no idea in the MOTS promo interview? Mike or Karl?

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 03 2009, 22:02

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 03 2009, 21:53)
@ Tati:
Back on topic: I really love the 2nd House performance - it's the bit I play most often from the Elements DVD. Mike plays bass for most of it before switching to (acoustic) guitar and then back to bass, thus giving ample proof that he's a great bassist as well as a great guitarist. Just like another Mike - Mr. Rutherford. :)

Yep,that's really really true! Having the chance to admire live Mike's talents on bass guitar on Nokia Night of the Proms,he's a great bass player too  :cool:

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 04:54

Y'know what really would be cool: broadcasting the Queen Elizabeth Hall TB 1973 performance. Mike personally said 5 years ago that he saw footage of it (or owned it), so it exists.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 05:57

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 04 2009, 08:53)
Artists which most people can associate with more than one great song or one great album are IMHO not that great.

That doesn't make any sense to me, I'm afraid. What could possibly be wrong with having more than one 'great' album or song? Surely it's better than having none!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 07:38

@ raven: as always, I expressed myself badly. What I meant is that it's very good for an artist to have a trademark, but having more than one may be dangerous, because then people get confused. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 09:18

I always thought that the 2nd house performance was 1975 or 1976, am I wrong? ( I probably am!)
Profile PM WEB 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 05:46

My CD covers of the 2 T. Bells performances (QE Hall & 2nd House) state 25th & 26th June 73 on the covers (may not be correct as they are bootlegs). Tubular.net gig guide shows QE Hall as 73. However the BBC4 webpage states 74 for the 2nd House performance. Anyone know for definate whether these 2 gigs were 73 or 74?

--------------
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 05:47

Got a single sheet programme somewhere for QE Hall but having trouble finding it. My loft is a tip!!

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 09:57

Quote (hairy old hippy @ Jan. 04 2009, 09:18)
I always thought that the 2nd house performance was 1975 or 1976, am I wrong? ( I probably am!;)

I thought so too until I checked it just recently. I have no idea where I got the 75/76 idea from, but now there's two of us... :O
The reason I'm still a bit confused is that Mike looks more like Ommadawn-Mike then TB-mike in the video. He's got more beard and longer hair than he has in the promo shots I've seen from 73/74. There' something really strange here.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 13:05

Don`t know if this has already been mentioned here,but Mike Oldfield`s perfomance at the Wembley Confrence centre in 1979 was broadcast on sunday on BBC Radio 6.UK residents can still listen to a stream of the concert on the BBC iplayer  here The show lasts for 60 minutes,and features performances of both Tubular Bells and Guilty....

"Mullet haired instrumentalist" says the guy introducing the show with the mad staring eyes and the Richard Whitely overcoat.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 13:28

Quote (larstangmark @ Jan. 05 2009, 09:57)
Quote (hairy old hippy @ Jan. 04 2009, 09:18)
I always thought that the 2nd house performance was 1975 or 1976, am I wrong? ( I probably am!;)

I thought so too until I checked it just recently. I have no idea where I got the 75/76 idea from, but now there's two of us... :O
The reason I'm still a bit confused is that Mike looks more like Ommadawn-Mike then TB-mike in the video. He's got more beard and longer hair than he has in the promo shots I've seen from 73/74. There' something really strange here.

I just looked at the Elements case and it says that it's 1976 so maybe this is a different performance!? I hope it's gonna be on iplayer cos I've got a gig the exact same time that it's on!

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
35 replies since Jan. 01 2009, 23:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net